Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

25 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Good choice. Last year, my teacher friends were saying that it was so stressful on families that several just opted not to teach at home—and that was the right thing to do in that case. No reason to damage your relationship with your kid for a short term solution. Other countries whose students rank very high in international comparisons their formal school starts much later than ours, like age 7. With how young your kid is, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Read to him regularly and play—that's how kids learn. Biggest thing is to NOT create negative associations with learning.

Yeah, I want to create some sort of structure so that he'll know that a portion of the day is to be used for learning. Probably 45 mins to an hour in the evening after my wife and I are home from work. During the day, at Grandma's house, we will assign him "homework" to do there so he isn't just playing Roblox all day long. We are thinking something like 1 hour for Khan Academy and 1 hour for some sort of workbook. The wife has been looking into different Curriculum that provides all the material that we need. Just need to make sure that what we are teaching him will be OK with Fairfax County if he's able to go back to school next year as a 1st grader.

• Like 1

So our schools are scheduled to open full time, 5 days a week, with 1 less hour of instruction per day reserved for cleaning on Sept. 8th.  All of our bordering counties in other states - Loudoun, Washington & Frederick County MD are going full online for the first semester.  Our teachers have now banded together to say they don't believe we should be going back to school right now.  Should get interesting, as it's creating a "eff the teachers, cut their pay" dynamic amongst mostly right wing folks.  They have not said they will strike at this time, but I can see it going in that direction.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dchogs said:

my daughter's college just shifted from a hybrid opening to fully online.  getting room and board refund, but tuition itself is staying the same.  financial aid is staying the same too, at least.  i seriously want her to take a gap year and do something cool, but she wants to keep moving forward towards graduation.  sucks.

i work at a private school that will (for now) be opening in the fall under a hybrid model.  the school is resourced well enough to be dumping a TON of money into making this happen, including all the fancy upgrades to HVAC in the buildings.  we'll see how it goes... i wouldn't be surprised if we start up and then have to pivot to fully online as COVID starts ripping through the community.

Gap Year is so underrated.

• Like 1

My 5 year old has been back in (private) kindergarten for about 5 weeks.  Today we sent the 5 month old (to the same school).  Their protocols are solid and there are only like 4 other kids in the infant room.  This is obviously a big day in my house, not having to hand a baby off as my wife and I try to work.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My 5 year old has been back in (private) kindergarten for about 5 weeks.  Today we sent the 5 month old (to the same school).  Their protocols are solid and there are only like 4 other kids in the infant room.  This is obviously a big day in my house, not having to hand a baby off as my wife and I try to work.  

Seems to me like you can start working on baby #3 now...

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2020 at 1:06 PM, Springfield said:

Seems to me like you can start working on baby #3 now...

PleaseBlitz' bedroom is gonna be pretty crowded for a while: PleaseBlitz, Mrs. PleaseBlitz, and Springfield (livin' rent free in his head . . . "#3")

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Ha! What good does an education do you in Georgia? That is my daily dig at the south...later.

😄 Well, I've been here for 31 years...I tell folks that attend UGA that their degree can be put on their front dashboard & used as a handicapped sticker...(and I mean no offense to anyone who has truly been handicapped, it's purely a joke because we're usually in the last 5 states ranked in education...and to me, that's a disgrace.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2