Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

I take my son back to Cornell on Saturday, the events at UNC and Notre Dame and things like this aren't making me feel any better about it.

A Yale administrator told students to prepare for 'possibly deaths' — and it shows what a predictable disaster reopening is

On Tuesday, the Yale Daily News, a student newspaper at the university, reported that an administrator had emailed students that their dorm experiences would be different this fall.

"We all should be emotionally prepared for widespread infections — and possibly deaths — in our communities," Laurie Santos, the head of a Yale residential college, wrote in a July 1 email to students.

The email also said students "should emotionally prepare for the fact that your residential college life will look more like a hospital unit than a residential college."

Yale plans to welcome some students back to its New Haven, Connecticut campus at the end of August and to administer coronavirus tests to students multiple times per week, but it still may not be enough to quell an outbreak similar to those at UNC or Notre Dame.

Leaders at universities such as Syracuse, Cornell, and Texas A&M are deciding how many on-campus coronavirus cases would shut them down again. Specifics for those plans, for the most part, are under wraps.

Click on the link for the full article

I'm especially not happy when my wife shows me this that came to her through Facebook:

An email I sent my department based on extensive conversation with a graduate student who is also res life staff last night. Highlights:

Cornell is NOT testing every student on the day they arrive. Cornell is MIXING tested and untested students in the same dorms.

Cornell did not have bathrooms figured out BEFORE students moved in. Res Life has been bringing this up for weeks and Cornell refused to let them solve the problem themselves, only for students to show up Monday and Res Life find out they had to make it up on the fly.

Res life staff have been told they "cannot hold students accountable" to the Behavioral Compact.

No signage existed before students moved in, not even any official language. Individual res life staff made up their own signage in the evening and started posting it.

Some students who arrived did not get food(!) because of poor communication by Cornell.

International students arriving at the airport were left to fend for themselves to get to campus.

At this point, Cornell has violated several of the assumptions of the Frazier Model, as well as broken several of their direct promises. It is unsafe to come to campus. I know travel plans are set, I know people have plans to move in. It is unsafe to come here. Cornell is not ready. They have not fulfilled their own basic requirements, they have broken their promises. Campus is not safe. Do not come here.

And just to be clear - Res Life staff are working their asses off to try to keep people as safe as they can. This is NOT on Res Life, staff there have been raising these issues for the past month and leadership kept telling them that Cornell would control these processes, kept denying them the autonomy to find solutions on their own - and then forced them to scramble with no system on the day of move-in. Dorm staff are not at fault here, Pollack, Kotlikoff, and Lombardi are.

Edited by China
  • Sad 1

My kids started their distance learning this week.  It is going about as well as I could have hoped for but I honestly, don't see how the current structure is not going to set this generation of kids somewhat behind.  Their "class" goes from 8:10-11am and then are pretty much released for the day to do assignments/homework.  My oldest started 3rd grade and she likes school so she is engaged and seems to be adjusting just fine, I just don't know how they are going to fit in the same amount of material from a 6.5 hour day into 3hrs.  My youngest is in kindergarten so I am not as concerned for her right now.

Wow I had no idea our kids were the exact same age. My daughter is also going into third and my son into kindergarten.

On top of helping them attend to their classes I have to teach my own. If this fall is anything but a cluster**** I'm calling it a win.

17 hours ago, China said:

I take my son back to Cornell on Saturday, the events at UNC and Notre Dame and things like this aren't making me feel any better about it.

Hey China,

I dont know how Cornell would be able to get away with the spotty testing. Anyone who is from one of the 30+ states coming into NY has to get tested and be quarantined for 2 weeks. 

Not to mention that they would have had their plan approved by the state I believe. If you are feeling that uneasy about it and have evidence that Cornell is not practicing the rules for NY, I would recommend reporting them. 

We've been fairly good about everything here.

The simple reason why colleges are reopening

It took just one week into the fall semester for multiple Covid-19 clusters to emerge at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- prompting the school to send students packing and make classes remote.

UNC-Chapel Hill is not alone. Across the nation, many colleges and universities that have reopened amid a global pandemic have experienced a similar fate: They opted for in-person learning, with safety precautions in place, but were still hit by Covid.

Some colleges and universities have opted to stick to virtual learning. Yet, others have said they still plan on going forward with their plans for in-person learning, or do a hybrid model that consists of a mixture of in-person and remote classes.

And students -- some who are enthusiastic about being back, others who are worried about the safety risks -- are still showing up.

Although states across the US are now seeing a decline in coronavirus cases, health officials have warned that "could turn around very quickly." Those outside these colleges and universities have wondered: Why are they taking the risk?

The answer, according to education experts, is simple: their options are limited. They can reopen, and impose safety measures to try and curb the spread of the virus, or they can continue to conduct remote learning only, and risk financial devastation.

U.S. universities have been trying to prepare for months, but outbreaks are forcing last-minute changes.

As college students return to U.S. campuses, some schools are already hastily rewriting their plans for the fall. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Michigan State and Drexel University will now hold most fall classes online, and Notre Dame and the University of Pittsburgh are among several that have abruptly suspended in-person classes for the coming weeks.

Some of these schools have already had sizable coronavirus outbreaks. The New York Times has identified more than 17,000 cases at more than 650 American colleges and universities over the months.

The last-minute changes left many students scrambling. Some had already moved to campus or signed leases for off-campus housing. Others said they would have rather returned to class when in-person instruction resumed.

The disappointing look when my son realized his first day of School actually means going back to daycare and doing a 30 minute online meeting with the teacher... poor guy. 

(I realize where that falls on the importance of problems spectrum, still sucks)

Took my son back to college this weekend.  We'll see how long they stay open.

My daughter has her first day of HS classes (online) only today and she's not looking forward to it.  She misses meeting her teachers in person, finds it harder to get to know them in video classes.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, China said:

Took my son back to college this weekend.  We'll see how long they stay open.

My daughter has her first day of HS classes (online) only today and she's not looking forward to it.  She misses meeting her teachers in person, finds it harder to get to know them in video classes.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to build those relationships from the teacher's side.

42 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to build those relationships from the teacher's side.

I think you should drive around to all of your students residences in a white van with black writing that says free candy on it. Then wearing a full tyvek biohazard suit, get out and talk to them all..

I bet that will work

• Sad 1

So we just got a letter from Cornell offering insurance.  It covers tuition reimbursement of 85% if the student has to drop out due to a medical condition.  So, essentially, they want to sell us insurance in case our son gets COVID and can't finish the semester.  

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, China said:

So we just got a letter from Cornell offering insurance.  It covers tuition reimbursement of 85% if the student has to drop out due to a medical condition.  So, essentially, they want to sell us insurance in case our son gets COVID and can't finish the semester.  

Which REALLY seems like it should be a basic university policy given the current situation. 

• Thanks 1