Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

13 hours ago, tshile said:

My county is posting tons of job ads for teachers. Long term and sub

Not surprising. One of the reasons Dr. Brabrand gave for FCPS switching to an all virtual start is the number of teachers looking for Leaves of Absence or medical exceptions, and the scarcity of subs.

I don't think I'd want to enter a germ factory during a pandemic for $12 an hour (and no health insurance) either.

Teachers have to balance career impact. Subs don't, and that seems to something a lot of these discussions aren't taking into account. A school can grind to a halt without enough subs just for normal absences, pandemic aside. It's not like teachers can take a day off and have the work waiting when they get back.

Edited by techboy
  • Like 2

Pennsylvania's awesome (not-sarcastic) Gov is "strongly recommending" shutting down sports (high school and youth) until Jan 1.

The debate now is whether the kids' well being is better served with sports or without it (and society's overall well being). I haven't read any professional medical opinion on the issue. My wife works in the mental health field with children and adolescents and she says that it was definitely an issue with her patients in the late spring/early summer. They were burned out from isolation.

My take is that not all sports are created equal when it comes to covid. Tennis and golf are safe. Team sports like soccer there is intermittent contact so it's like 50/50. I'm trying to convince my kid to play with a mask on. Football, where linemen are in the face of other linemen, probably not the best.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Pennsylvania's awesome (not-sarcastic) Gov is "strongly recommending" shutting down sports (high school and youth) until Jan 1.

The debate now is whether the kids' well being is better served with sports or without it (and society's overall well being). I haven't read any professional medical opinion on the issue. My wife works in the mental health field with children and adolescents and she says that it was definitely an issue with her patients in the late spring/early summer. They were burned out from isolation.

My take is that not all sports are created equal when it comes to covid. Tennis and golf are safe. Team sports like soccer there is intermittent contact so it's like 50/50. I'm trying to convince my kid to play with a mask on. Football, where linemen are in the face of other linemen, probably not the best.

Contamination in locker rooms would be my main concern with sports resuming. I don't think there is any outbreak linked to outdoor physical activity of any kind.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Contamination in locker rooms would be my main concern with sports resuming. I don't think there is any outbreak linked to outdoor physical activity of any kind.

Team buses would be a problem too, I imagine.

• Like 1

I can't keep up with the youth sports....

Where i live there seems to constantly be some kind of Volleyball/Lacross/Soccer/Track+Field tournament or something similar. 

The kids all appear to be wearing their school team jerseys but these things are all private. 

For my granddaughter's school district, it's 100% online for the first three weeks. After that, parents can choose either online or on campus instruction. At the end of every grading period, the parents can again choose which instruction method they want. Face masks are required for on campus instruction. 

This is in Texas. All school districts are not the same. At least for my granddaughter there are options.

11 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

For my granddaughter's school district, it's 100% online for the first three weeks. After that, parents can choose either online or on campus.

A friend of mine will be home schooling for the first 2-3 weeks. He wants to wait to see what happens first (any outbreaks) before deciding. I thought that was pretty fair.

• Like 1

I cringed when I read Howard Co. teachers and subs were told last week by their management if they are high risk, have kids who may be high risk, or live with high risk people they should consider taking a leave of absence.  When I heard this, I looked at my wife and asked "With whom are they going to replace them?"  This just struck me as yet another indication many making these types of decisions are not project managers who should know better the difficulties of potentially telling a large portion of the work force to take off.   Of course I knew this when they still spent resources to get ready to open in person at the beginning of the year.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Glad they decided to unsuspend the kid who took the pics of that Georgia crowded hallway. Cooler heads prevailed.

Did they?  Or were they exposed and shamed into doing the right thing?  If this hadn’t made the national news, I bet this student might have ended up expelled instead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, visionary said:

Did they?  Or were they exposed and shamed into doing the right thing?  If this hadn’t made the national news, I bet this student might have ended up expelled instead.

Well I was giving them the benefit of doubt. 😁

I bet the ACLU stepping in helped too.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, gbear said:

I cringed when I read Howard Co. teachers and subs were told last week by their management if they are high risk, have kids who may be high risk, or live with high risk people they should consider taking a leave of absence.  When I heard this, I looked at my wife and asked "With whom are they going to replace them?"  This just struck me as yet another indication many making these types of decisions are not project managers who should know better the difficulties of potentially telling a large portion of the work force to take off.   Of course I knew this when they still spent resources to get ready to open in person at the beginning of the year.

there is a little bit more to this story. Howard county is all online until Jan. Just like Mont, PG,AA. The email went out about 1.5 weeks ago. With it saying if you can not devote 8 hours a day at home to teaching you should take a leave of absence. What this stems from is parents were not happy with the way the spring semester went and a good amount of teachers didn’t do anything or very little. My wife is a teacher in PG and we live in Howard. In PG there is a push for teachers to teach from class rooms virtually because of the same thing. 

And in Georgia:

11 Cherokee schools now affected by COVID-19 quarantines

As of late Friday afternoon, a total of 11 Cherokee County schools have implemented some level of quarantine based on cases of COVID-19, according to school system officials.

Earlier Friday, the system revealed positive tests for COVID-19 at Bascomb Elementary School, Creekland Middle School and Cherokee High School. After 5 p.m. Friday Creekview, Etowah and Woodstock High Schools were added to the list.

The first quarantine was at Sixes Elementary School on Tuesday when a student tested positive for the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, the second day of the new school year.

Click on the link for the full article

Why I'm OK with my kids "falling behind" in school during the pandemic

If being born into Generation X ever gave me anything, it has been a lifetime of training in lowered expectations. And as we chaotically hurtle toward the start of a new school year in the midst of a still explosive health crisis, my slacker parenting technique has never been stronger.

Earlier this week, the New York Times ran a feature on a now all-too-familiar theme. "Worried your kid is falling behind?" the headline blared. "You're not alone." As the Times explained, "As kids start school with more online learning, parents wonder whether they'll ever catch up. Here's how to set them up for success." Granted, the article advised moms — surprise, no fathers were interviewed — on "creating fun, low-key learning opportunities," but the phrase "falling behind" nevertheless appeared three times in the body of the article. 

It was the same day my younger daughter's high school scheduled a virtual town hall to discuss plans for the new academic year. The school's invitation added, "This will help us in planning the most successful learning opportunities for your kids and providing you with what you need." 

There was that word again. Success. I've spent nearly two decades now shepherding my children from nursery school to university, and I have never gotten a satisfying answer to the basic question of how our educational system defines success. I sure as hell have even less of a concept of what constitutes success for our students right now. I only know that as far as I'm concerned, I believe what Bill Murray taught us in "Meatballs": It just doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. 

The current best-case junior year scenario for my older daughter will be mostly self-quarantining in her dorm room, attending classes and participating in her student clubs online. My younger daughter, meanwhile, is gearing up for SAT prep and band practice, both of which will be taking place within a few feet of where both my spouse and I do our own work.

And then what? My older daughter graduates college into a nonexistent workforce? My younger one starts shopping around for colleges that will pressure her — and her parents — to take out hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans so that she too can graduate into a dystopia in a mountain of debt? Is it any wonder I'm having a hard time right now really giving a crap about maintaining academic rigor, or what activities will look good on resumes and college applications?

Click on the link for more

• Like 1