Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

Seems like PA schools are going back to either 5 days/week with an option to go to "Cyber" school. Seems like it's out of character. All the data right now shows that PA has good numbers (even though I disagree with the numbers locally somewhat) so I guess it's relatively safe. But still. All the good work done so far, could be undone very quickly.

Our kids are taking the cyber option, but we're identifying a small group of families we can have our kid's socialize with.

As Trump Calls for Schools to Fully Reopen, His Son’s School Says It Will Not

The school attended by President Trump’s son will not fully reopen in September out of concern over the coronavirus pandemic despite the president’s insistence that students across the country be brought back to classrooms in the fall.

St. Andrew’s Episcopal School, a private school in Washington’s Maryland suburbs, said in a letter to parents that it was still deciding whether to adopt a hybrid model for the fall that would allow limited in-person education or to resume holding all classes completely online as was done in the spring. The school will decide early next month which option to follow.

Click on the link for the full article

On 7/23/2020 at 10:57 AM, Elessar78 said:

Seems like PA schools are going back to either 5 days/week with an option to go to "Cyber" school. Seems like it's out of character. All the data right now shows that PA has good numbers (even though I disagree with the numbers locally somewhat) so I guess it's relatively safe. But still. All the good work done so far, could be undone very quickly.

Our kids are taking the cyber option, but we're identifying a small group of families we can have our kid's socialize with.

It's likely going to change. The measures the state has taken the last couple of weeks with bars and restaurants is an effort to get numbers down so schools can at least offer some type of hybrid model. I know some folks that work at PDE with Pedro. They're not optimistic and school will likely be online across the board. 

Florida lawyers offering free living wills to teachers returning to school during the pandemic

A number of Florida lawyers are offering free or discounted living wills for teachers who may be required to return to the classroom this school year.

"I had read a story a few weeks ago about three Arizona teachers who'd gone back to school to work on a project," said Charles Gallagher, whose St. Petersburg law firm, Gallagher & Associates, is among those offering teachers free living wills. "All three contracted COVID-19 and one died."

Gallagher said he was "taken aback by the story" and he wasn't the only one, as advocates are now warning about the risks of sending teachers and children back to school prematurely.

Yet the question of when schools should reopen remains a divisive one, particularly in Florida, where the state's largest teachers' union in the state is suing Gov. Ron DeSantis over his administration's push to fully reopen public schools next month, despite the fact that coronavirus cases are skyrocketing in the state.

Gallagher said he saw a picture of a sign that read: "Teacher supplies: books, crayons and wills" at a recent protest, and although its message was morbid, he felt compelled to assist educators.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

So, my wife is pushing to home school our rising Kindergartner. I'm overwhelmed by this. When I step back and think about it, our kid is pretty bright and already knows most of the stuff that he will need to pass Kindergarten. I'm stressed about finding the materials and teaching him properly, that I won't have the time to do it right, that I'll run thin on patience trying to instruct him, that he won't have the attention span to learn what we are teaching.

I'm also overwhelmed by the virtual learning aspect as well. Grandma's house, where he goes 3-4 days of the week, has 3 other kids there (his brother and two cousins) who are at the very least a big distraction. Also, Grandma is too nice and easy going to give the structure to do virtual learning or home school.

This sucks. Just want to vent.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So, my wife is pushing to home school our rising Kindergartner. I'm overwhelmed by this. When I step back and think about it, our kid is pretty bright and already knows most of the stuff that he will need to pass Kindergarten. I'm stressed about finding the materials and teaching him properly, that I won't have the time to do it right, that I'll run thin on patience trying to instruct him, that he won't have the attention span to learn what we are teaching.

I'm also overwhelmed by the virtual learning aspect as well. Grandma's house, where he goes 3-4 days of the week, has 3 other kids there (his brother and two cousins) who are at the very least a big distraction. Also, Grandma is too nice and easy going to give the structure to do virtual learning or home school.

This sucks. Just want to vent.

Yeah, it's just a crappy situation all around.  I just keep taking it one day at a time and remind myself that kids are pretty resilient.  Who knows, maybe it will become a great opportunity for your kids and their cousins to form a strong lifelong bond.  Hope you and everyone on this board makes it out of the other end of this in one piece.

• Thanks 1

I say this, mind you, with no kids. But what is ultimately lost by a kid falling a year behind? They graduate at 19? Is college now verboten for 19 yo freshmen? 😁 Do we kick the kid out of the house at 19 because they are still high school seniors?

Personally,  I think my fellow friends are putting way to much pressure on themselves based on an outdated timeline. But again, I'd always defer to those who know more about this and can educate me on what I'm overlooking.

Edited by The Evil Genius

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

I say this, mind you, with no kids. But what is ultimately lost by a kid falling a year behind? They graduate at 19? Is college now verboten for 19 yo freshmen? 😁 Do we kick the kid out of the house at 19 because they are still high school seniors?

Personally,  I think my fellow friends are putting way to much pressure on themselves based on an outdated timeline. But again, I'd always defer to those who know more about this and educate me on what I'm overlooking.

There is a big difference between a 5 year old and a 16 year old missing a year of school and being held back.  There is a lot more social/mental development that occurs in a 5 year old than a 16 year old. 

I am concerned too about this virtual learning with my 5 year old and how it could potentially have long term effects.  But there is nothing that can be done about it so we need to make the best of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, purbeast said:

There is a big difference between a 5 year old and a 16 year old missing a year of school and being held back.  There is a lot more social/mental development that occurs in a 5 year old than a 16 year old. 

I am concerned too about this virtual learning with my 5 year old and how it could potentially have long term effects.  But there is nothing that can be done about it so we need to make the best of it.

As a friend said, at least they'll all be equally socially retarded.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

As a friend said, at least they'll all be equally socially retarded.

We are going to still have him having play dates at least once a week, probably more, with some friends from preschool and kids on our block that will be in the same school as him.  They are going to play before/after the virtual classes.  

I'm more concerned about him being able to come out reading though.  That is something that worries me but I plan to help with that too.  My friend told recommended me a book he got that he used to teach his 5 year to read over the last few months while quarantined. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Personally,  I think my fellow friends are putting way to much pressure on themselves based on an outdated timeline. But again, I'd always defer to those who know more about this and can educate me on what I'm overlooking.

We redshirted our 5 year old this year because her private kindergarten is much better equipped to institute stringent controls than the public school she would have gone to is.  I wanted to redshirt her anyways, just because I think it will lead to better educational and social outcomes if she is in the older half of her class than in the younger half.  The only downside was the cost, which sucks, but I'm not ****ing around with my kids' safety.  She'll still graduate HS at 18, but enter college at 19.  I entered college at 17, so I had to use a fake ID just to get into Shooters and Speedys. :)

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On a related note, are your kids going  back to sports and other activities?

Here in Western PA, our sports leagues are scheduled to reopen for both school and club. The guidance from our hospital system is that it's okay as long as protocols are followed. I'm not completely set at ease by this.

PA has been managing the virus well, despite the numbers, but I live in Trump country and people here are pretty lax about masks and distancing (not true for all of PA). When I see lax behavior, I just think of how people must've been in FL, AZ, TX before their surge.

38 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

On a related note, are your kids going  back to sports and other activities?

Here in Western PA, our sports leagues are scheduled to reopen for both school and club. The guidance from our hospital system is that it's okay as long as protocols are followed. I'm not completely set at ease by this.

PA has been managing the virus well, despite the numbers, but I live in Trump country and people here are pretty lax about masks and distancing (not true for all of PA). When I see lax behavior, I just think of how people must've been in FL, AZ, TX before their surge.

For us in NY, certain sports were cleared ( not sure if more have been or not). My daughters field hockey club has been social distance practicing, and internal tournaments since they screen the girls every time. They pulled out of every tournament out of our area.

As for school, haven't heard a final verdict yet. The 2 choices at least for her sport is fall season starting later with no championship games, or moving fall sports to the spring.

Edited by Xameil

27 minutes ago, Xameil said:

For us in NY, certain sports were cleared ( not sure if more have been or not). My daughters field hockey club has been social distance practicing, and internal tournaments since they screen the girls every time. They pulled out of every tournament out of our area.

As for school, haven't heard a final verdict yet. The 2 choices at least for her sport is fall season starting later with no championship games, or moving fall sports to the spring.

Just for comparison, the last rolling 7 day average I saw a few days ago for positive tests: NY 1.2%, PA 5.9%.CDC/WHO wants it at 5% to reopen safely. PA flirts with that number, I think we were under that number not too long ago.

Soccer is back in. I don't know how I feel about it yet. I would just be content just to play in our area/in our bubble. But I think we are slated to do county to county travel. Even less comfortable with that. I don't know what the rush is?

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

No.  Daughter does swimming and gymnastics.  I don't foresee sending her to either any time soon.  

Indoor sports are a no-no. Although swimming, by a couple of things I've seen should be safe. Chlorine kills, dilutes it. Distancing, as always, is the key.

My pool this summer has been sandbagging—I feel the chlorine mix is stronger than usual.

Edited by Elessar78

4 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Just for comparison, the last rolling 7 day average I saw a few days ago for positive tests: NY 1.2%, PA 5.9%.

CDC/WHO wants it at 5% to reopen safely. PA flirts with that number, I think we were under that number not too long ago.

yeah, we are low. Especially in the upstate area. But the state is very strict still...so..no clue how its going to be handled. I know the girls are still very up in the air on when tryouts for the school sports will take place. Hell, I don't think they've even decided how schooling and busing will go..

You have to be strict and act when it looks like nothing is happening. Our Gov (Wolf)(Dem) has been doing that and he is fought every step of the way.

As James Carville put it, PA is Pittsburgh and Philly with Alabama in between.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

You have to be strict and act when it looks like nothing is happening. Our Gov (Wolf)(Dem) has been doing that and he is fought every step of the way.

As James Carville put it, PA is Pittsburgh and Philly with Alabama in between.

NY isn't much different. NYC, Buffalo and Syracuse are Blue...Rest of the state is....purple...(I'll explain if you need me to...lol)

On 7/25/2020 at 7:47 AM, Busch1724 said:

It's likely going to change. The measures the state has taken the last couple of weeks with bars and restaurants is an effort to get numbers down so schools can at least offer some type of hybrid model. I know some folks that work at PDE with Pedro. They're not optimistic and school will likely be online across the board. 

Let me knwo if you hear anything else.

We are opting for the cyber option, because I think there will be a disruption at some point. It gives us a better chance at continuity.

Ok....just read what the final decision is for my daughters school. She's going into 9th grade.

"Shenendehowa Central School District

At Shen, kindergarten through grade 6 will have daily, onsite instruction. Kindergarten will remain a half-day program. Learning will alternate between traditional instructional time with classroom teachers and independent or remote learning overseen by school personnel. There is a potential to stagger student arrivals.

Grade 7 to 12 will see an alternate day model with half of the students coming to school for two consecutive days and the other half coming the next two days. The school will also institute longer periods to reduce student contact. On virtual instruction days, students will be required to participate in classroom work remotely and all complete assignments.

Students in self-contained, special education programs will be onsite daily when in school. Students receiving special services will continue to receive them.

Other changes to protect from the pandemic include pre-packaged lunches, one-way hall traffic, no field trips and upgraded filtration and ventilation. Teachers will be encouraged to have classroom windows open when feasible. Students will be asked to carry a reduced number of materials with them on a daily basis. All extra-curricular activities will be examined to determine which can be conducted virtually and safely. Interscholastic athletics is not currently allowed."

Her school is set up pretty well for virtual, so I'm good with this...