Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Since they shifted the gameplan to help Haskins with quick hitters, the OL has been much better. It’s clear that the line needs 2-3 new pieces, in my opinion. But it’s been better than many want to give credit for.

Once you take Martin out, you have yourself a solid OL. 

Ultimately, given this team’s needs at premium positions, you have to let Scherff go. I think Roullier is gone too because you don’t want to overpay an average center. Ismael takes his spot in 2021 and Charles takes the LG spot. As I have pointed out, this is the deepest LT class available so you could go sign an Okung and make Christian the swing guy.

Okung / Charles / Ismael / Wes S / Moses

Not a great OL but solid enough and good bang for the buck to get the job done

Edited by method man
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, method man said:

Ultimately, given this team’s needs at premium positions, you have to let Scherff go. I think Roullier is gone too because you don’t want to overpay an average center. Ismael takes his spot in 2021 and Charles takes the LG spot. As I have pointed out, this is the deepest LT class available so you could go sign an Okung and make Christian the swing guy.

If we have needs at premium positions and Scherff is a position of need and knows the offense then I’d rather just pay him. We have the money and I’d rather us not go on a spending spree like the old days. Also, we still have no idea what we have in Charles or Ismael so pencilling them in now doesn’t make sense. Let’s see them play a single snap before giving them the starting jobs. Okung never really impressed me and he ain’t no spring chicken either. I’m still hoping Charles can play LT.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, method man said:

We have no evidence Charles is suited for an NFL guard.  He played RG for 1 game in college

I never understand when we go into a season with giant glaring weaknesses (this year - OL, TE, Secondary, and LBers), lacking even modestly competent players to fill these roles. This is not a NFL offensive line. We could have signed Donald Penn as a stopgap or signed any number of FA guards (including Flowers) to at least ensure our OL isn’t a god damn sieve.

How much of that was total OL issues...and how much was neither Guard was capable of slowing down Aaron Donald at all?  Donald beat both Guards handily, felt like what at least every snap.

Difficult to tell if the Center and LT and RT were good, bad, OK, or what...cause the pocket was dead from the get go.

Pity Scherff got hurt.  Regardless, we can't roll into 2021 expecting to start both Martin and Schweitzer again.

We really should have resigned Flowers to play LG. He's still young and didn't sign for that much.

If we don't go QB then we should tank for Sewell. We've had a franchise LT for two decades in a row now(Samuels 2000-2009, Williams 2010-2018). Lets make it three.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

How much of that was total OL issues...and how much was neither Guard was capable of slowing down Aaron Donald at all?  Donald beat both Guards handily, felt like what at least every snap.

Difficult to tell if the Center and LT and RT were good, bad, OK, or what...cause the pocket was dead from the get go.

Pity Scherff got hurt.  Regardless, we can't roll into 2021 expecting to start both Martin and Schweitzer again.

I think you seriously have to look at replacing both guards. Scherrf is hurt too often and he will probably want a lot of $$$ to resign. Martin hasn’t really had a good game all year. 

I think we probably are looking at replacing 3 out of 5 o line spots... at least. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think you seriously have to look at replacing both guards. Scherrf is hurt too often and he will probably want a lot of $$$ to resign. Martin hasn’t really had a good game all year. 

I think we probably are looking at replacing 3 out of 5 o line spots... at least. 

I think so too.  But I'm betting they want to replace Roullier with Ismael.  So at least there's someone on the roster who can do that.  Maybe Saahdiq Charles gets healthy and can compete at a Guard spot later in the year?  That's the optimistic take.

Not sure how the coaches can look at Martin play, and think...he'll get it together, if the options behind him aren't awful.

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We really should have resigned Flowers to play LG. He's still young and didn't sign for that much.

If we don't go QB then we should tank for Sewell. We've had a franchise LT for two decades in a row now(Samuels 2000-2009, Williams 2010-2018). Lets make it three.

He signed a 3 year 30 million dollar deal with Miami so that is not chump change either.  We had the money but you don't want to tie up all you money creating a 8-8 football team.

Given Scherrf injury issues I cannot see giving him top dollars either.  This O-Line is going to take a couple years to fix.  

Hindsight is 20-20 but they should have signed Flowers to a longer deal after the the previous offseason when he was cheap.

Edited by philibusters

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

Hindsight is 20-20 but they should have signed Flowers to a longer deal after the the previous offseason when he was cheap.

There was a small contingent of us here on ES, who wanted to sign Flowers and let Scherff walk.  Scherff is a bit more penalty prone, he's certainly more injury prone, he's older, and he'd cost a lot more.  Scherff does have more talent and clearly makes plays in space that gets guys paid.

Right now, with how the Miami OL is looking...the Front Office has to be kicking themselves for letting Flowers go.

Just now, HigSkin said:

Flowers didn't want to stay here, he wanted to go to Miami because that was his home town so that wasn't even an option.

I think people often forget that he played for The U. That's his home. If Miami didn't offer him it would have been a possibility to keep him I think. But once Miami was on the table it was over.

• Like 4

The Dolphins signed him to a 3 year 30 million dollar deal.  10 million year is not cheap for Eric Flowers.   During the previous off season Washington signed Flowers to a 1 year 4 million dollar deal.   The best case scenario is Washington would have signed him to a longer deal that year when there was very little market for him.  The security of a 3 year 12 million dollar deal might have got him.   To beat out Miami we would have probably had to go 3 year and at least 33 million which would probably be overpaying him because he is a solid player, but not a special player.

I don't blame Washington for letting him walk.  I would rather take my chances than overpay guess and be maxed out on the salary cap and have a 7-9 team.

I hope Scherff can come back for the Giants. They absolutely need him. Once he does come back, send Martin to the bench and kick Schweitzer over to his spot. 

2 minutes ago, carex said:

what is the obsession with Charles at Guard?

He's a short armed tackle, which makes many of us question whether he can play it in the pros. With his athleticism, strength and weight, he has a chance to be an even better guard than tackle. 

7 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

I never understand when we go into a season with giant glaring weaknesses (this year - OL, TE, Secondary, and LBers), lacking even modestly competent players to fill these roles. This is not a NFL offensive line. We could have signed Donald Penn as a stopgap or signed any number of FA guards (including Flowers) to at least ensure our OL isn’t a god damn sieve.

They wanted to see what they had in Geron Christian and you don't find that out by starting Donald Penn.  That said with hindsight they probably should have brought back Donald Penn and maybe another veteran guard.  Oh well.  Life goes on.

• Like 1