Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That shows our o-line being much better than we think.  I think our pass-protection is probably a bit better than that, but Dwayne hasn't helped it.

The run stop & run block are pretty condensed, the pass blocking is interesting, seeing Wentz struggle behind their #5 pass block unit means his mind is probably in Chuck Knoblauch territory. 

That said, I like Philly to pull the upset this weekend in Sf.

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think Moses is back next year because it’s very difficult to get 5 new quality starting linemen into the line up. And Moses is the best of our 5.

Moses is under contract and will likely start there next year.

I’d trade Moses today. Huge guy who really struggles when he gets a bit banged up, I’d cash in on the great start. 

45 minutes ago, volsmet said:

seeing Wentz struggle behind their #5 pass block unit means his mind is probably in Chuck Knoblauch territory. 

Wentz looks fried.  Which is alarming given that he's always had good to great OL play with them.  What happens when his OL is below average?  Does he just curl up in a ball at the snap and die?

They can't afford to move on from him with his contract.  But if he really is damaged goods, they can't win with him either.  And they are in a win now year.  Their cap issues in 2021 are a nightmare that I don't think any team in NFL history has seen before.

8 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Wentz looks fried.  Which is alarming given that he's always had good to great OL play with them.  What happens when his OL is below average?  Does he just curl up in a ball at the snap and die?

They can't afford to move on from him with his contract.  But if he really is damaged goods, they can't win with him either.  And they are in a win now year.  Their cap issues in 2021 are a nightmare that I don't think any team in NFL history has seen before.

I don't see how they can get out of it either. Other than Derek Barnett being all but gone, it's not like they have a lot of moveable pieces. They're going to be dumping a lot of draft picks to get out from under some of those.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

His cap hit is 9.65, which would put him 10th at RT. Is he a top ten right tackle? I'm always leery of a guy that plays better than normal when it's a contract year (sort of).

Best part of 2mil is a sunk cost from pro rated signing bonus, but yeah in terms of cash, he’ll get just short of 8m giving him top 10-15 money next year. 

It’s borderline value for money, i agree. I’m no fan of Moses at all. Seems like he’d survive based on the dire state of the rest of the line.

He’s likely worth 6mil but not 8mil say, probably not enough to cut him over next year.

Just.

18 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I was looking at their cap situation with glee the other day. According to Overthecap.com, if they cut everyone that doesn't have a negative cap hit, they're still $13m OVER the cap, and that's with a projected ~$194m cap. They'll certainly re-work some deals, but that's going to be ugly in Philly.

The Saints are in a predicament too--however they have much more moveable, re-workable contracts, not as many huge, negative cap hits. But, we'll gladly take Ryan Ramcyzk off their hands, hypothetically speaking.

Just now, Vanguard said:

Wishful thinking but I’d like to get Saahdiq Charles in the lineup.  Get him some experience.  He was listed as limited participation in practice.

Charles is one of the wild cards. I really liked him in college. But his... attitude?... was a question mark. Now there’s lingering injuries. If he and Ismael can both play, we really would only need 2 linemen this year. 

I’d still look to stockpile guard talent in the draft. There are a bunch of good ones. Come away with two of them... or if Charles pans out and plays guard instead of tackle, get a guard and a tackle. 

I think it’s likely they can be the BPA in the second/third. Or even first... depending.

Ill speak to TE here as it’s kind of an OL position... if he gets out of Philly, and their cap situation says he probably will, I’d sign Ertz. 

Figure out QB (Haskins or a vet or a rookie) and the OL could have a nice jump. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Charles is one of the wild cards. I really liked him in college. But his... attitude?... was a question mark. Now there’s lingering injuries. If he and Ismael can both play, we really would only need 2 linemen this year. 

I’d still look to stockpile guard talent in the draft. There are a bunch of good ones. Come away with two of them... or if Charles pans out and plays guard instead of tackle, get a guard and a tackle. 

I think it’s likely they can be the BPA in the second/third. Or even first... depending.

Ill speak to TE here as it’s kind of an OL position... if he gets out of Philly, and their cap situation says he probably will, I’d sign Ertz. 

Figure out QB (Haskins or a vet or a rookie) and the OL could have a nice jump. 

We'll probably have to top Travis Kelce's contract - and that's really steep.  Everyone wants to be the highest paid at their position, especially if they are a blue chipper like Ertz.  

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Wishful thinking but I’d like to get Saahdiq Charles in the lineup.  Get him some experience.  He was listed as limited participation in practice.

Can't really be worse than Geron Christian.  

• Like 1

Ertz is a really good receiver, but he's a poor blocker, and he's probably past his prime.  I'd pass.  Why pay for the 3rd contract on a premium player?  Christian actually looks ok at times.  Cooley gave him a solid grade and he was going against Garrett (I know he gave up a strip sack, but he's Myles Garrett).  Christian was pretty effective against Chandler Jones too.  I'd give Christian the season to see if he's a serviceable Donald Penn type average LT.  

If we are in a position to take a rookie QB (be it Lawrence, Lance, Fields, or even Kyle Trask), I'd go in that direction in the first round and bail on Haskins (I'm not a believer in his accuracy and touch at all).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Football outsiders

I mean, they way they do it is pretty basic.  I think it's just (correct me if I'm wrong):

(Sacks) / (Passing Attempts + Sacks - QB Spikes)

DVOA is adjusted to competition, but I don't think their OL and DL stats are.

We know a few of the sacks are from Haskins.  But honestly, everybody at the bottom of that list is probably a bit because of the QB trying to do something they shouldn't.  Difference between Burrow/Jackson/Watson and Haskins is that Haskins is more likely to evade into a sack than the other 3 are.

But here's the crazy part...that 9.2% for Haskins is actually an IMPROVEMENT from last season.  That was the #1 issue for Haskins development, and I'm happy it's a bit better, but I feel like that's more playcalling than really the OL and Haskins right now.  Hopefully the OL and Haskins sort of gel and figure out how to get that number lower.  Because...that's just...never going to ever cut it for a team.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:53 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

But here's the crazy part...that 9.2% for Haskins is actually an IMPROVEMENT from last season.  That was the #1 issue for Haskins development, and I'm happy it's a bit better, but I feel like that's more playcalling than really the OL and Haskins right now.  Hopefully the OL and Haskins sort of gel and figure out how to get that number lower.  Because...that's just...never going to ever cut it for a team.

I haven't rewatched the games yet but will do so when i have time. 

...But Washington wants Haskins to show more awareness in the pocket, having watched him move into too many sacks. They want him to be more consistent with his mechanics and recognize there are too many throws that are all arm -- or where his feet don't match up with his eyes, leading to errant throws.

"When [the pocket] is clean, he has to be consistent," Turner said. "If he can throw on balance more, that'll lead to more accuracy. But there are some times where you can't. Everyone sees these guys around the league. You've still got to play."

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't rewatched the games yet but will do so when i have time. 

...But Washington wants Haskins to show more awareness in the pocket, having watched him move into too many sacks. They want him to be more consistent with his mechanics and recognize there are too many throws that are all arm -- or where his feet don't match up with his eyes, leading to errant throws.

"When [the pocket] is clean, he has to be consistent," Turner said. "If he can throw on balance more, that'll lead to more accuracy. But there are some times where you can't. Everyone sees these guys around the league. You've still got to play."

So discouraging and perplexing due to his pocket presence being encouraging last year. I’ve said it a few times now, but I speculate him losing weight and feeling a bit niftier with his legs may have messed with his mental approach to managing the pocket (other variables I’m sure exist). 

Count me as one who liked the extra weight and size in the pocket, especially since he’s a pocket QB. I really thought he a big and physical presence in the pocket last year that hasn’t been present enough this year. 

I felt he returned some to that last week and was one of the reasons I was one of the few encouraged by last weeks performance from a developmental standpoint. Can’t say enough how much I appreciate Turner doubling down on the idea of Haskins remaining aggressive and not worrying about throwing INTS. Provides me confidence the staff is focused on letting him fly or crash. 

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I wonder how much of those 70+ pass blocking grades for the OL, are because we use the quick game stuff so much?

A very big part. And that's a good sign that we are playing to our limitations and strengths all at the same time. To me, it's a sign our offensive staff is putting together good plans with what they are operating with. 

So Scherff wants to be paid like one of the top Guards in the league.

He hasn't been able to stay healthy.

And this guy is doing very well in his place.

I'm fine going with Wes #2.

Or...keep Scherff and put him at LG. Or Scherff at RG and Wes #2 at LG. IF Scherff lowers his demands

What you all think ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository