Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS EXERCISE FIFTH-YEAR OPTION ON JONATHAN ALLEN

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

April 27, 2020

REDSKINS EXERCISE FIFTH-YEAR OPTION ON JONATHAN ALLEN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have exercised their fifth-year option on the contract of defensive tackle Jonathan Allen.

Allen (6-3, 300) entered the league as the Redskins’ first-round selection (No. 17 overall) in the 2017 NFL Draft. In his first three NFL seasons, Allen has started all 36 games in which he has appeared. He has registered 139 tackles (84 solo), including 18 for loss and has compiled 15.0 sacks.

Since 2018, Allen is tied for the fourth-most multi-sack games among defensive tackles. Allen has the fifth-most games with multiple tackles for loss by a defensive tackle during that same timeframe. Allen’s 14.0 sacks are sixth-most by a defensive tackle since 2018.

Allen played collegiately at Alabama, where he appeared in 30 games. As a senior in 2016, he was a team captain and winner of the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Chuck Bednarik Award and Ted Hendricks Award along with being a finalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year, Lott IMPACT Trophy and the Lombardi Award. He finished his career ranked No. 2 in Alabama history in career sacks (28.5) behind Pro Football Hall of Famer Derrick Thomas.

Allen, 25, attended Stone Bridge H.S. in Ashburn, Va., where he was a consensus five star recruit. He was selected as the Gatorade Virginia Football Player of the year. He was born on Jan. 16, 1995.

If the plan is to extend Allen, then we should look to trade Ioannidis. He has 2 years left on his deal and I don't imagine he'd resign to be a backup to Payne and Allen. Also those 2 years are not likely to coincide with this team's competitive window under Rivera.

This team has sucked at asset management. I believe that if you were to trade Ioannidis during training camp (once a starting 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE goes down somewhere) or at the trade deadline, you can get a 2nd in the 2021 draft to get a starter on a rookie deal help during that competitive window.

2 minutes ago, method man said:

If the plan is to extend Allen, then we should look to trade Ioannidis. He has 2 years left on his deal and I don't imagine he'd resign to be a backup to Payne and Allen. Also those 2 years are not likely to coincide with this team's competitive window under Rivera.

This team has sucked at asset management. I believe that if you were to trade Ioannidis during training camp (once a starting 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE goes down somewhere) or at the trade deadline, you can get a 2nd in the 2021 draft to get a starter on a rookie deal help during that competitive window.

I understand what you are saying, trade in for a premium draft pick and get a younger guy to grow with the nice young core we have.

But now that we have finally built a solid core, I don't want to start selling off parts.  Especially with a new coach trying to establish a new culture.  Let's have a year where they show what they can do.  The locker room will get a positive vibe, and we can be a destination that free agents may want to come be a part of where we don't have to overpay to sign them.  And if Matt I is part of a rotation, maybe that supresses his value a bit where what we offer is close enough for him to stay as we build a winner. 

Just like I'm glad we picked up Allen's option, I want to keep this dline core together as long as we can.  I think our o coordinator is going to have some success with our young guys too, so we can build around this core with cheap labor via the draft.  If the skins play their cards right, they can keep this core together.  Matt I is only 26, I hope he is a part of some glory years. 

2 hours ago, method man said:

I agree that KS should at least start thinking about what Ioannidis’ value would be; maybe throw around some darts at teams that use the 3-4. I don't want to start a war here but I think Ioannidis is likely better suited as a two-gap 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DT. He is a mauler when he gets into an OL’s pads and can quickly shed and tackle. Frankly, I rarely see him shoot a gap like Allen or Payne. I know Ioannidis is one of our top lineman but he can bring in 2nd rounder or higher then that might be something to look into. 

1 minute ago, JaxJoe said:

I agree that KS should at least start thinking about what Ioannidis’ value would be; maybe throw around some darts at teams that use the 3-4. I don't want to start a war here but I think Ioannidis is likely better suited as a two-gap 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DE. He is a mauler when he gets into an OL’s pads and can quickly shed and tackle. Frankly, I rarely see him shoot a gap like Allen or Payne. I know Ioannidis is one of our top lineman but he can bring in 2nd rounder or higher then that might be something to look into. 

Ioannidis outproduced DeForest Buckner and Chris Jones last year and is on a very team-friendly deal right now. With 8.5 sacks, 35 QB pressures, and 16 QB hits from an interior DL, I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 1st round pick. We have no reason to trade him at all when everything is considered and only a 1st would tempt me to move him. 

15 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

I agree that KS should at least start thinking about what Ioannidis’ value would be; maybe throw around some darts at teams that use the 3-4. I don't want to start a war here but I think Ioannidis is likely better suited as a two-gap 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DE. He is a mauler when he gets into an OL’s pads and can quickly shed and tackle. Frankly, I rarely see him shoot a gap like Allen or Payne. I know Ioannidis is one of our top lineman but he can bring in 2nd rounder or higher then that might be something to look into. 

Ioannidis will be a 4-3 DT not a DE

I think it's okay to think about moving some pieces, but honestly(as I've said in the past) I think we could drum up some demand for Settle.  I can see him being some team's NT or second best DT while he'll only be our fourth best unless something surprising happens

37 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Does anyone know what Allen's 5th year cap number is going to be?  I'm only seeing his 4 years laid out.

image.png.b22e007760b0017f985a9e30804fbd51.png

Okay, I did some digging and figured it out.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/4/27/21239002/redskins-exercise-jonathan-allens-5th-year-option

In a move expected by most people, the Washington Redskins have exercised the 5th year option for defensive lineman Johnathan Allen. He was not a top 10 pick so his value as a defensive end will be $9,046,000 for the 2021 season. Allen was the 17th overall pick in the 2017 draft. He signed a 4-year, $11.6 million contract, and now gets a big raise for his 5th year in the league.

8 minutes ago, carex said:

Ioannidis will be a 4-3 DT not a DE

I think it's okay to think about moving some pieces, but honestly(as I've said in the past) I think we could drum up some demand for Settle.  I can see him being some team's NT or second best DT while he'll only be our fourth best unless something surprising happens

Typo. I meant 4-3 DT. Ioannidis is such a good player that I’d hate to see him not on our team. I guess he’d be the 1-tech Del Rio mentions when he talks about the roles of the 4-3 front. I know he played all over with our 3-4 front but in a 4-3 the role is different, gap-wise. I’m sure he’d do well For us regardless. But as you are intimating,  we now have a surplus of 4-3 tackles. Settle being farmed out is a no-brainer. But I think my agreeing with the other poster, it’s all moot at this point since the draft is over. Meaning, I think Del Rio likes the core we have and is going to run the process and see who sticks. Just sucks the off-season has been hijacked by the quarantine. 

2 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Typo. I meant 4-3 DT. Ioannidis is such a good player that I’d hate to see him not on our team. I guess he’d be the 1-tech Del Rio mentions when he talks about the roles of the 4-3 front. I know he played all over with our 3-4 front but in a 4-3 the role is different, gap-wise. I’m sure he’d do well For us regardless. But as you are intimating,  we now have a surplus of 4-3 tackles. Settle being farmed out is a no-brainer. But I think my agreeing with the other poster, it’s all moot at this point since the draft is over. Meaning, I think Del Rio likes the core we have and is going to run the process and see who sticks. Just sucks the off-season has been hijacked by the quarantine. 

We played a metric ton of even front principles last year. He played across the line in 1 and 3-techs. 

The amount of time we were in the odd front was minimal.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Anyone of you people suggesting we trade Allen, Iaon, Payne, Sweat or any other key player from our front four should have a dodo bird avatar. You're bonkers. We're gonna have something good and possibly special and you hillbillies wanna **** it up?

Whooooaaaa whoa whoa leave the hillbillies out of this...

Holy cow, this thing is escalating too fast!  I commented on a post about trading Ioannidis and was wondering what his value might be. You cannot disagree that we have too many tackle types on the roster so it’s not unreasonable to contemplate what value Ioannidis would fetch. 

That being said, Ionnidis’ style is one where he is a master bull-rusher, peel-n-tackle type. My point was this style of play is of greater value to a 3-4 front than a 4-3. And, I also pointed out that any talk of trading anybody is moot since the FA and draft phases are behind us. 

Ioannidis is a major asset to this team both in his play and his leadership. I nor anyone I know want to see him traded. 

Archived