Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I don’t think the draft is going to be that much of a crapshoot. Most of these teams are playing. Most of these players are playing.

The crapshoot guys are the Trey Lance’s of the world. Dillon Radunz. But there’s not a ton of those guys.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think the draft is going to be that much of a crapshoot. Most of these teams are playing. Most of these players are playing.

The crapshoot guys are the Trey Lance’s of the world. Dillon Radunz. But there’s not a ton of those guys.

Yeah, especially those guys.  Chase is a known quantity.  Ditto Parsons.  Primarily because of the schools they play at and the competition they faced.

Although Trautman hasn’t exactly set the world alight this season with 3 catches I think, looking back at the nature of that trade by the Saints, all day 3 picks to get back into the 3rd round....how would we view such a trade?

Trade our day 3 picks to move up into the third round again. 

Gives us picks of 1,2,3,3,3

Five picks, likely top 90 in the draft. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Scouts can't visit, watch practices, interview coaches and players (as freely) etc.

56 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Although Trautman hasn’t exactly set the world alight this season with 3 catches I think, looking back at the nature of that trade by the Saints, all day 3 picks to get back into the 3rd round....how would we view such a trade?

Trade our day 3 picks to move up into the third round again. 

Gives us picks of 1,2,3,3,3

Five picks, likely top 90 in the draft. 

Definitely a bad plan to do that in 2021 (see last few posts above and below). 

Edited by nonniey

6 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Scouts can't visit, watch practices, interview coaches and players (as freely) etc.

Interviews are so easy with technology. That’s wrong. 

It’s just different. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Interviews are so easy with technology. That’s wrong. 

It’s just different. 

Why I put the as freely. (BTW McClaurin got the Redskins attention during the pro-day they attended for Haskins).

Edited by nonniey

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It’s actually more free to interview now than ever before. Can do it from your couch. No flight necessary.

Wasn't referring to cost (ie Scout notices someone at practice and talks to him etc.)

Edited by nonniey

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Wasn't referring to cost (ie Scout notices someone at practice and talks to him etc.)

Sure, that’s different. But schools film practice so I wouldn’t be surprised if they are sharing some of that film. 

That stuff impacts prospects down the road more than it does the current guys. Game film tells a lot of the story. 

I know what you’re saying but it’s really not as much of a detriment as many think. 

im currently coaching in it. Our season got moved to March. We are allowed to practice 2x/week... but we can have unlimited meetings. We only do 1 or 2 a week. But for offseason work it’s huge. It’s the biggest turn out we’ve ever had for this stuff.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Sure, that’s different. But schools film practice so I wouldn’t be surprised if they are sharing some of that film. 

That stuff impacts prospects down the road more than it does the current guys. Game film tells a lot of the story. 

I know what you’re saying but it’s really not as much of a detriment as many think. 

im currently coaching in it. Our season got moved to March. We are allowed to practice 2x/week... but we can have unlimited meetings. We only do 1 or 2 a week. But for offseason work it’s huge. It’s the biggest turn out we’ve ever had for this stuff.

Hmmm, ok have to defer to experience.

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

Hmmm, ok have to defer to experience.

I’m not trying to poopoo your stance. There IS differences. And for some guys it’s going to be so much different that they are going to struggle a little bit. 

But with the quantity of film and the incredible technology that’s available some of this is going to ultimately help scouting as well. Not having to get on a plane saves money and time. Morale will improve as they aren’t away from their families quite as much as they used to be as well. 

This is a very positive step in my opinion.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I’m not trying to poopoo your stance. There IS differences. And for some guys it’s going to be so much different that they are going to struggle a little bit. 

But with the quantity of film and the incredible technology that’s available some of this is going to ultimately help scouting as well. Not having to get on a plane saves money and time. Morale will improve as they aren’t away from their families quite as much as they used to be as well. 

This is a very positive step in my opinion.

Damn I didn't mean to sound snarky in that post above I was actually deferring to your experience. You have more knowledge being a coach than I have.  You have more expertise than me in this and didn't think you were poo pooing my stance. 

• Like 1

PFF mock

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2021-nfl-mock-draft-trevor-lawrence-is-still-the-jets-pick-at-no-1-overall-justin-fields-to-the-giants-at-no-2

1. NEW YORK JETS  QB TREVOR LAWRENCE, CLEMSON

Write this one in pen — heck, write it in stone if you want. Lawrence will be the No. 1 pick if he declares. The only question at this point is whether he will go where he’s drafted or try to force a trade?

[Editors Note: PFF's customizable NFL Mock Draft Simulator gives you the opportunity to be the GM of any team, and it is now updated with a select group of 2021 prospects]

2. NEW YORK GIANTS  QB JUSTIN FIELDS, OHIO STATE

I wrote earlier this week why the Giants have to be willing to move on from Daniel Jones this offseason. Fields has started 2020 like a house on fire with 52 of 54 targeted attempts hitting receivers' hands. I’m not sure Jones even did that at his pro day.

3. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS  QB ZACH WILSON, BYU

He’s the highest-graded passer in college football. He can win from the pocket as well as on the move. He’s got a quick release and can sling it from any platform. And he doesn't miss. Get used to it — Wilson is an elite quarterback prospect.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-04-at-10.15.52-AM1.p Click the image to get your copy of PFF's 2021 NFL Draft Guide today!

4. MIAMI DOLPHINS (VIA HOUSTON TEXANS) – OT PENEII SEWELL

In a tragic twist of irony, one of the picks traded so the Texans could acquire left tackle Laremy Tunsil is now used to select what will likely be an even better tackle. They drafted two tackles last year, but don’t think that’s going to stop anyone from taking Sewell. He’ll be the first non-quarterback taken because the 20-year-old is simply that rare. Robert Hunt is likely to kick in to guard if that’s the case.

5. DALLAS COWBOYS  TE KYLE PITTS, FLORIDA

This is how you take the Cowboys' offense into the unstoppable stratosphere (assuming they re-sign Dak Prescott). Pitts could be a first-rounder if solely considered a wideout and is one of the biggest mismatch weapons in recent history. He’s already caught seven touchdowns in four games this year.

6. ATLANTA FALCONS  LB MICAH PARSONS, PENN STATE

I don’t care who the next coach is on the defensive side of the ball in Atlanta, they could benefit from a linebacker duo of Deion Jones and Micah Parsons. He opted out this season, but Parsons had the second-highest run defense grade we’ve ever seen from an off-ball linebacker as a sophomore and is a two-time member of Bruce Feldman’s Freaks list.

7. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM  QB TREY LANCE, NORTH DAKOTA STATE

It’s safe to say that Dwayne Haskins ain’t in the future plans for Ron Rivera, and every Washington fan at this point is praying that Kyle Allen isn't, either. Lance is more project than finish product — as evidenced by his 86.3 career passing grade against FCS competition — but he’s got off-the-charts physical tools for the position.

8. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS  ED KWITY PAYE, MICHIGAN

A few more weeks of what we’ve seen so far and this is your likely EDGE1. Paye has 13 pressures through two games after only registering 37 last season. The 6-foot-4, 272-pounder could set records at the Combine as well — at that point, it’s a wrap.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-04-at-10.18.24-AM.pn Click the image to get your copy of PFF's 2021 NFL Draft Guide today!

9. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS  WR JA’MARR CHASE, LSU

You don’t need me to explain how receiver is a need for the Patriots. Chase has obviously opted out already, but the fact that he outperformed the now top-performing rookie receiver (Justin Jefferson) as a true sophomore last year in a role more translatable to the NFL is good enough to keep him as WR1.

10. MINNESOTA VIKINGS  ED GREGORY ROUSSEAU, MIAMI (FL)

Rousseau’s production profile is a tad scary with an 87.6 pass-rushing grade from the interior vs. only 70.1 off the edge. His 6-foot-7, 265-pound frame is only scratching the surface of what he could become and fits the Vikings profile on the edge.

11. CINCINNATI BENGALS  OT SAMUEL COSMI, TEXAS

It’s safe to assume the Bengals have learned their lesson after letting the first five rounds pass in 2020 without giving Joe Burrow some offensive line help. In what looks like a talented tackle class, they shouldn’t make the same mistake in 2021. Cosmi is one of the most tested tackles in the country with 1,453 passing snaps between right and left tackle at Texas over the past two and a half years.

12. CAROLINA PANTHERS  CB PATRICK SURTAIN II, ALABAMA

While I don’t normally advocate for drafting to beat your division, when your division includes physical monsters like Julio Jones, Mike Evans and Michael Thomas, you want some corners that can match them. That’s not 5-foot-10, 178-pound Donte Jackson nor is it 5-foot-11, 193-pound Troy Pride Jr. At 6-foot-2 and 202 pounds, Patrick Surtain fits the bill. The Alabama corner leads the Power-5 with an 89.0 coverage grade.

13. DETROIT LIONS – ED JAYSON OWEH, PENN STATE

At 6-foot-5 and 252 pounds with a reported sub-4.4 40, Oweh personifies the term “freak.” That gets drafted highly at the edge position regardless of how you perform on the football field. Oweh has improved in the latter, as he had a breakout 10-pressure performance in Penn State’s Big Ten opener against Indiana.

14. DENVER BRONCOS  LB DYLAN MOSES, ALABAMA

Josey Jewell has been picked on repeatedly in coverage this year and doesn’t hold a candle athletically to what Moses brings to the table. Linebacker is a featured position in any Vic Fangio-coached defense, and upgrading it would go a long way for Denver.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF mock

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2021-nfl-mock-draft-trevor-lawrence-is-still-the-jets-pick-at-no-1-overall-justin-fields-to-the-giants-at-no-2

5. DALLAS COWBOYS  TE KYLE PITTS, FLORIDA

This is how you take the Cowboys' offense into the unstoppable stratosphere (assuming they re-sign Dak Prescott). Pitts could be a first-rounder if solely considered a wideout and is one of the biggest mismatch weapons in recent history. He’s already caught seven touchdowns in four games this year.

7. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM  QB TREY LANCE, NORTH DAKOTA STATE

It’s safe to say that Dwayne Haskins ain’t in the future plans for Ron Rivera, and every Washington fan at this point is praying that Kyle Allen isn't, either. Lance is more project than finish product — as evidenced by his 86.3 career passing grade against FCS competition — but he’s got off-the-charts physical tools for the position.

Just curious...are tight-ends usually taken that high (#5)?

12 hours ago, nonniey said:

Yeah I’m not sure I totally agree with your view there. I do get the caution, not quite to that degree though.

I like the idea of a more condensed/high end to the draft. There’s always an element of risk/unknown with selections to varying degrees, just don’t over complicate it and out think yourself. 

Wilson has certainly increased his stock this season. He doesn’t look like he’s laboring as much to throw the ball and he seems to be doing a bit better with contact taking. I’m not ready to say “3rd dude off the board” for him. But it’s definitely a possibility. 

Pitts @ 5, Paye that early and Chase to 9 is a bit of a tough look. 

Trey Lance is the wrong pick for us unless the plan really is to sit him behind Allen for a year. But with Chase on the board that’s a tough one to swallow. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Trey Lance is the wrong pick for us unless the plan really is to sit him behind Allen for a year.

This will cause a lot of consternation about picking another "project," myself included. However, this coaching staff is much more stable than the one that selected Haskins, the pick will be the FO and coaching staff's, not the owner's (hopefully), and they'll be more likely to take the time to develop him properly (hopefully). 

I think its hard to sit a top 10 QB pick for an entire year, which would probably help Trey Lance develop.  The idea scenario is maybe Lance sits an entire year and takes over mid year in his second year or something like that.  On paper that seems feasible.   That said as soon as we fall to say 2-5 next year the pressure to start him over whatever serviceable QB we are playing we seem irrestible.   All the people who are now fine with sitting him next year will start saying things like "Getting game experience is the best way to get better and things like that"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think its hard to sit a top 10 QB pick for an entire year, which would probably help Trey Lance develop.  The idea scenario is maybe Lance sits an entire year and takes over mid year in his second year or something like that.  On paper that seems feasible.   That said as soon as we fall to say 2-5 next year the pressure to start him over whatever serviceable QB we are playing we seem irrestible.   All the people who are now fine with sitting him next year will start saying things like "Getting game experience is the best way to get better and things like that"

Exactly. 

The only way he is the right pick is if he is developed no matter what happens next year and he stays on the sidelines. 

I think pick 7 is a reach for him, but our next pick is in round 2 and he'd be gone. 

I just don't know how you pass on a pass catching weapon like Chase in that scenario.

I understand that a QB is the most important piece of a franchise, but this franchise isn't in great shape to draft a dev. kind of player. If a QB gets drafted it has to be a guy ready to step in and play on day 1. There aren't a lot of those guys available in this draft... or any draft. 

With Kyle Allen acting as the starting QB at the moment, drafting Lance to sit behind him is a recipe of exactly the scenario laid out above.

With, say, Aaron Rodgers (like with Jordan Love) starting you can draft a dev guy and have him hang out. 

Desperate franchises are bad places for developmental QBs to go. Doesn't mean it can't work. But it's a VERY risky proposition. 

Speaking of QBs, and this is meant in context of the draft 100% and not to rehash any repeated ad nauseum debates from other threads:

If Rivera is serious about Haskins and keeping him to try to develop him...

Is QB even remotely on the radar with Kyle Allen and Dwayne Haskins? I'm not asking if it should be. I'm asking under this exact premise:

1) Rivera is serious about not getting rid of Haskins and developing him

2) Allen and Haskins are both doing what is asked from now moving forward

I don't think we go after a QB in that scenario that isn't named Fields or Lawrence... (Maybe Wilson depending on his season). I think we should still probably think about it... But I don't think Rivera does it.

I'm just really interested to see how much truth is in those statements. 

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

Looking back at one of my dudes last year, LB Logan Wilson... man I wish we could have found a way to get him.

Yea, I was really high on him too.

I wished I had dug deeper in my evaluation of S Jordan Fuller. I had no idea he was seen as the brains of the back end of that Ohio State defense. That helps explain why he's doing so well for the Rams. 

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think its hard to sit a top 10 QB pick for an entire year, which would probably help Trey Lance develop.  The idea scenario is maybe Lance sits an entire year and takes over mid year in his second year or something like that. 

Sitting out til the season finale sure seemed to help Mahomes.....and work in the Chiefs long term favour too.