Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Bottom line is if you are taking a QB in the top 15, he better start right away. Drafting Lance would be a major turnoff to the fanbase - sure, he has better character than RG3 and Haskins but is as raw as those two coming out. 

I don't think Zach Wilson goes 3. I don't ever remember QBs going back-to-back-to-back in one draft. One of those teams is going to snag Sewell. I do see a case for Wilson going no. 4 or no. 5. If I'm this team and I end up with the no. 19 pick, I'd consider trading this year's 1st, next year's 1st and a 2nd or 3rd to take him. Given his gunslinger mentality, I do see him being a bit turnover prone in the pros but I also think the floor is high with him. I saw a comp for Kyle Allen and it makes sense - I see him as Kyle Allen with more skill, a better arm and even more mobility. That package is a top half of the league starter

To be clear, I think if Rivera wants Lance and selects him, I support the decision. I like Lance. 

But Lance will need to be baby stepped along. 

If it were me I’d probably not take Lance in the first... that early... with immediate impact guys available. 

the talent is absolutely there, though.

This is where I like the attitude Rivera has had towards the media and fan base as far as “I’m making the decisions I think are correct and sticking to them despite the pushback from sources outside the building.”

Unless pressured (read: told) from above, I think Rivera will sit him until he’s ready. And that could be day 1 starter (doubt it), mid way through season 1, last few games of season 1, season 2 or hell season 3. I don’t think Rivera will play him until he is ready to be played. 

If he doesn’t stick to his guns that pick could be another in a long line of forced QB picks.

It also depends what’s on the board. In the event we’re picking mid to late first I can see the case to go Lance if he’s sitting there. 

Will have to see how it plays out. 

4 minutes ago, method man said:

I think many of us agree he could’ve started Day 1. Andy Reid probably regrets not doing so as Alex Smith was very up and down his final year in KC

I think the dump Andy Reid took this morning has more knowledge about QBs than most offensive coordinators do. I will never question him about quarterbacks.

Corellation isn't necessarily causation, but Mahomet turned out ok.

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think the dump Andy Reid took this morning has more knowledge about QBs than most offensive coordinators do. I will never question him about quarterbacks.

Corellation isn't necessarily causation, but Mahomet turned out ok.

This is a lazy cop out. Andy can also be loyal to a fault

Given his 2018 season, do you really think Mahomes would’ve looked Haskins bad year 1?

46 minutes ago, method man said:

This is a lazy cop out. Andy can also be loyal to a fault

Given his 2018 season, do you really think Mahomes would’ve looked Haskins bad year 1?

Probably not. Can you prove Mahomes would have turned out as well as he did if he started from Day 1?

29 minutes ago, philibusters said:

yeah it helps to have a QB on the team playing a fairly high level.   If the Chiefs were horrible, it would have been harder to keep him on the bench which is the point people are making about the WFT drafting Lance.

Plus Alex Smith had a career year in 2017.

3 hours ago, method man said:

I think many of us agree he could’ve started Day 1. Andy Reid probably regrets not doing so as Alex Smith was very up and down his final year in KC

Reid won a SB with that plan, I doubt he has any regrets over sitting Mahomes that 1st year. He probably only thinks about making the trade up to get the kid. That decision puts Reid in the HOF and extends his career 15 years, and makes him a boatload of more money. I doubt he has regrets when it comes to Mahomey.

4 hours ago, method man said:

Do we? Mahomes was seen as a reach. High upside pick by many. Reid saw something different, but giving him time to sit may have meant the difference in his career.

7 minutes ago, method man said:

He started off red hot and cooled down in the second half. The Chiefs should've set him in that second half like the 9ers did with him when they brought in Kaep

Actually he had a cold stretch of a couple games but ended off hot. His last 4 games he had a rating of 96 or higher in three of those and had a 7-1 TD/INT ratio. They won three of those and the one they didn’t the team put up 31 points. He was also pretty damn good in the playoff game they lost. 

1 hour ago, method man said:

Zach Wilson having a so so game against Boise

3rd quarter 19/25 for 302Yd's and 2 TD's. I'll take it. I'm the worst QB scout, but I do like Zach Wilson. Love the gunslinger mentality, the pocket awareness and movement, the ball placement, and that he is a student of the game. I'd honestly be more excited for him than Lance, possibly. 

41 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

3rd quarter 19/25 for 302Yd's and 2 TD's. I'll take it. I'm the worst QB scout, but I do like Zach Wilson. Love the gunslinger mentality, the pocket awareness and movement, the ball placement, and that he is a student of the game. I'd honestly be more excited for him than Lance, possibly. 

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge fan of his as well and think he is the guy we should pursue. Yes, he lit it up in the 3rd quarter w bomb after bomb against a solid D. This was a good test for him. As of now, the rest of their schedule is cake. Would love it if they can schedule a major program

55 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Roethlisberger? Until this year, Wentz has been really good

Wentz is good but I don’t think he warranted his draft position. Injuries are a big part of that and he’ll eventually go down as a good QB that should have been great.

Also, Ben is a HoF but if you’re getting one of those from small colleges once every 20 years then I don’t like the odds.

Archived