Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

This is the perfect scenario for Fields.  He excels at almost everything when not pressured, but add pressure and he struggles.  Also, he seems to lack anticipation in his tape.  I think his lack of off schedule under pressure performance will give a bunch of teams some hesitation, but it only takes one to like him.  I think the 49ers are probably that team.

12 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Zach Wilson and Justin Fields looking good on their pro-days is a no-brainer, people shouldn't be surprised about this. It's when they look bad like Haskins did, is when it's a red flag. 

That makes some sense, I never thought of these workouts as being pressure situations but I guess I can see that.  I think the CFB was probably more pressure but what do I know.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

What would be the point?

Not true at all. Remember when Curt Hennig flew up draft charts after this?

The point is to make the Jets think they have no interest in Fields or Wilson and to second guess their scouting report. Yes, it does happen and yes it does work.

29 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

What smoke screen is there to do? They are locked into the third pick.

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The Jets.

Exactly.  They could trade out still.  Its super unlikely, but if you just traded all those picks with a certain guy in mind, you're going to do your best to protect it.  Even if it's only a 1% chance, you still do everything to minimize the risk.

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'll just say "most of the time" here and leave it at that. Fields is a top 5 pick but there's risk involved with him. 

Yeah and none with Lawrence who had plenty of mediocre at best performances, Lance who is raw, Wilson who makes really bad reads and Mac Jones who had the best team in college football... maybe ever... around him.

Welcome to high level college ball. There’s risk around all of them.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The point is to make the Jets think they have no interest in Fields or Wilson and to second guess their scouting report. Yes, it does happen and yes it does work.

These guys aren't idiots. I doubt anyone in the Jets organization, no matter how incompetent they've proven themselves to be, has had their opinion swayed one iota from this. 

@KDawg Has this changed at all, you posted it back in December.

My current LB rankings:

1) Micah Parsons, Penn State

2) Jabril Cox (NDSU/LSU)

3) Nick Bolton (Mizzou)

4) Monty Rice (Georgia)

5) Ventrell Miller (Florida)

6) Tuf Borland (Ohio State)

7) KJ Britt (Auburn)

8 )  Paddy Fisher (Northwestern)

9) Chazz Surratt (UNC)

10) Erroll Thompson (Miss State)

11) Kuony Deng (Cal)

Just now, PartyPosse said:

These guys aren't idiots. I doubt anyone in the Jets organization, no matter how incompetent they've proven themselves to be, has had their opinion swayed one iota from this. 

I can tell you your perception is wrong. 

Just now, JSSkinz said:

@KDawg Has this changed at all, you posted it back in December.

My current LB rankings:

1) Micah Parsons, Penn State

2) Jabril Cox (NDSU/LSU)

3) Nick Bolton (Mizzou)

4) Monty Rice (Georgia)

5) Ventrell Miller (Florida)

6) Tuf Borland (Ohio State)

7) KJ Britt (Auburn)

8 )  Paddy Fisher (Northwestern)

9) Chazz Surratt (UNC)

10) Erroll Thompson (Miss State)

11) Kuony Deng (Cal)

Significantly. I posted an updated list wayyyy after that.

1) Zaven

2) Davis/Werner

3) Moses

4) Cox/Rice

Just now, KDawg said:

I can tell you your perception is wrong. 

So, explain why it would change anything. They're locked into Wilson right now and SF not sending anyone to Fields day suddenly changes their scouting report? Jets aren't choosing based on who SF likes. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

They could still trade out.  You don't put up billboards of the guy you want after trading away that much.  You protect it.

@Skinsinparadise I'd love Spencer Brown in the 3rd Round. I think Coach Matsko can make something out of him and he has such a high up-side. We can take our time with getting him ready, plus he showed improvement every year.

Ugh on Molden, although I heard he had a hamstring issue during evaluations. On tape one of the best slot corners in the draft. Maybe this drops him down?

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

They could still trade out.  You don't put up billboards of the guy you want after trading away that much.  You protect it.

The Jets? If they have no desire to get a QB then theoretically they could trade with Atlanta but that would be foolish and SF still gets Wilson or Fields. 

SF did not give up 3 first rounders for Mac Jones. Simple as that. 

When you got a dude who has speed that is the equivalent of a fast receiver and can throw a corner route on the move across his body with ease 50 yards down the field with just about perfect accuracy -- I personally think it means something.   It's not like every QB has freakish tools.

My takeaway from a pro day is to see that QB's tools.    If the theory is ALL QBs have similar tools so yawn to see their tools showcased -- then yeah to me pro days would be yawn.   Fields showcasing freakish skills I do think has relevance.  But if some think its meaningless, cool, to each their own. 😀

There are some QBs that have special tools.  And often it matters.  

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The more I watch this the more I think it might be fake. You notice how his eyes look forward and up as he is running as if the ball was already out in front of him. No way he could actually catch up to the ball when its already out there in front of him. I may have to watch it some more.

Crap...I forgot to insert the vid.

Just now, 86 Snyder said:

Everyone knows the Jets are taking a QB. There's literally nothing for the 49ers to trick people on. They have multiple guys they are interested in and one of them is Mac Jones. So miss me with the "NO WAY COULD THAT BE TRUE IT'S ALL A TRICK BY MEGAGENIUS KYLE SHANAHAN" bullcrap.

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah and none with Lawrence who had plenty of mediocre at best performances, Lance who is raw, Wilson who makes really bad reads and Mac Jones who had the best team in college football... maybe ever... around him.

Welcome to high level college ball. There’s risk around all of them.

Lawrence really never had a stinker, he's had mediocre performances but nothing like Fields was against NW or Indiana. I get it that they won those games but they give me pause, he isn't as cool as I'd like someone to be under pressure for a mobile QB. Wilson is going to throw a lot of interceptions early in his career I'm pretty sure. Nobody in this draft is going to come out of the gates like Justin Herbert did. 

I'm not in the group that thinks Mac Jones and Fields are comparable lol. Jones is QB5 and there's a pretty large gap between QB4 and QB5 for me. 

24 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

It seems silly to me people get excited watching a QB throw to a wide open WR with no defense on the field.

What are the teams actually getting from that? I would be focusing on interviews and asking tough questions, something to test the mental aptitude of the player, you have enough film at this point and the downfall of most QB's taken in the first round seems to be mental (because they usually have the physical skills) but still so much focus on the measurables.

I would think a pro day for a potential top 5 pick, especially a QB, is highly pressurised, or at least can be to certain people. That may be the challenge/test in itself. 

Just watched Darrisaw interviewed on the NFL Network.

Seems like a dude that doesn't take himself too seriously (in a good way), talked up that he will run in a couple of weeks and will surprise some people.   His mom is an Eagles fan and dad a Ravens fan -- and he joked that's where his parents would like for him to play.

He was asked specifically about WFT.  He said playing here would be a lot.  He said he grew up a WFT fan but when pressed he said more of a casual fan.  He said after his pro day he had a zoom interview with the WFT the next day with the GM and O line coach. 

10 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Everyone knows the Jets are taking a QB. There's literally nothing for the 49ers to trick people on. They have multiple guys they are interested in and one of them is Mac Jones. So miss me with the "NO WAY COULD THAT BE TRUE IT'S ALL A TRICK BY MEGAGENIUS KYLE SHANAHAN" bullcrap.

How bout you miss me with the inability to process a basic thought such as they have their guy and will defend against even the slightest possibility of losing it.  No matter how slim the chance.  This isn't hard.

It's not some genius move by Shanny either.  Its basic common sense.  The draft isn't for a month.

11 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The Jets? If they have no desire to get a QB then theoretically they could trade with Atlanta but that would be foolish and SF still gets Wilson or Fields. 

SF did not give up 3 first rounders for Mac Jones. Simple as that. 

That's the point.  They didn't do this for Mac Jones, which is why he's been leaked amd they are fronting about his pro day.  It's either Lance or Fields and they likely strongly prefer one or the other.  

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

That's the point.  They didn't do this for Mac Jones, which is why he's been leaked amd they are fronting about his pro day.  It's either Lance or Fields and they likely strongly prefer one or the other.  

So if everyone knows its those two, SF not going to Fields pro day means they think even less of him than anyone else, which wouldn't make the Jets think MORE of him. The only plausible scenario is SF loves Fields and honestly thinks the Jets would take him. That's it. So the point is SF's not going to Fields pro day is, in their minds, the nail in the proverbial coffin of the Jets not taking Fields. But since they went to Mac's day, which everyone KNOWS is a smoke screen, they've made it clear they love Fields so much that they're ignoring him?

None of what they're doing is changing the outcome of the draft.

Archived