Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

59 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would think the teams know who’s taking who.

As an aside, using the historic trade value chart as a guide, the move from #19 to #4 is actually ‘less’ than the jump from #12 to #3, given the top three picks have a perceived premium value......

Not the premium of the 2012 trade, but rather not. 

1st Rd picks

2021 = Zaven Collins

2022 = Aaron Rodgers

2023 = TE or OT

*2024 = Aaron Rodgers

*Conditional on a SB appearance, of course.

Solidifying the defense and then trading for certainty is best. Once you get Rodgers, you keep drafting offense for the next 2-3 years with Day 2 picks keeping him upright with options. The defense is close enough but they need a big push on offense. Getting Rodgers is a bigger window than Tampa with Tom. 

Going for the 4th best QB prospect of this draft is a similar cost to getting a premium QB. If we're talking about multiple firsts, I'd rather go for the proven vet. 

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Ah, you are right.  Was looking at this:  https://gbnreport.com/2021-first-round-selection-order/ which looks wrong as Miami got SF's 2022 3rd rounder and not 2021 3rd round comp pick.

I've found conflicting reports actually. 

Some show Miami getting the 9ers 3rd round comp pick this year and the 9ers not having a 3rd round pick and I've seen some showing the 9ers getting two 3rd round comp picks so I honestly don't know which reports are true.

I believe this is what is true after the initial confusion. 

San Francisco this offseason had both scenarios play out after Saleh was hired by the Jets and vice president of player personnel Martin Mayhew was hired as the Washington Football Team’s GM. That’s where the confusion appeared to stem from in the NFL’s initial list of comp picks which awarded two third-round selections to the 49ers.

Instead, they’ll get one this year and one next year for Saleh getting hired, and then another in 2023 for the Mayhew hire.

I really think we go LB and OL in round 1 and 2.  TE in round three.  I like the way we have approached free agency.  I like the emphasis on speed and flexibility.  If the draft goes as expected and we get Fitzmagic, as opposed to Fitztragic as I expect, I am more optimistic approaching the season than I have been in a long time.

Note:  I absolutely do not like renting a OG for a year for $18+ mil.  I would be in favor of keeping Scherff at a reasonable cap rate for a very good OG. ($13-$14 mill per year in a cap friendly format).

I'd be completely flabbergasted if SF literally spends three 1st round picks on Mac Jones. I'm guessing there's about a 95% chance that Jones will be there at 12 anyway. Almost no way in the world that's who they're targeting. Going to 3 means they have at least 2 prospects they'd be equally fine with there. I'd guess Wilson and one of Fields and Lance.

Question for people that would know better than me. By looking at Farley's tape, do you think he has the speed/length to thrive in man-coverage in the NFL? 

Edit: Simms brought up a great point talking about CBs saying these guys that run high 4.4s-4.5s have a pretty good chance of struggling in man-coverage because they just don't have that make-up speed necessary and the speed to cover these 4.3.-4.4 WRs. You look at Jeff Okudah coming out and he's a prime example, Detroit runs a ton of man coverage and then they go ahead and draft Okudah who didn't run much man coverage in college. He struggled mightily early last season and you go back to what he ran at the combine, and he ran a 4.48. Looking back, that's' a slow time for a top 3 pick with his size. Ramsey ran a 4.41 but is much longer, and look at how well it immediately transferred to the NFL, he was already set up for success. 

The times I see on Farley are kind of all over the place, if he's a 4.3, low 4.4 guy I think he's someone worth looking into. We need a LBer but there are quite a few guys I like that could be available in the 2nd. Jabril Cox or Jamin Davis could be there at 51.

Is Darrisaw and Cosmi better than the group last year with Becton, Wirfs, and Wills? If they're on that level, I'd be all over that pick, I just feel like they're a notch below that crop. 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'd be completely flabbergasted if SF literally spends three 1st round picks on Mac Jones. I'm guessing there's about a 95% chance that Jones will be there at 12 anyway. Almost no way in the world that's who they're targeting. Going to 3 means they have at least 2 prospects they'd be equally fine with there. I'd guess Wilson and one of Fields and Lance.

I think Mills will be better than Jones.....if we can land Mills in the third I would be happy.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some think its Lance.  If SF for whatever reason wanted to cultivate mystery about who they will take, they certainly got that cooking right now 

They could try to put them on PS but I doubt it takes.  You got a lot of crappy backup QBs right now in the league, I'd think Allen or Heinicke would be claimed by some team if they try to sneak them on the practice squad. 

The way it sounds, Allen might not be ready for the season, so then we have a little time with the PUP list. But for arguments sake, if all QBs were ready for TC, how much time do we have before we need to cut bodies before some NFL deadline? And, do either of these cut QBs have any trade value seeing as there's such a dearth of competent backups?

On 3/26/2021 at 9:44 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched his senior bowl reps.  I thought he looked fine.  I just rewatched to make sure my memory was ok.  He won 5 out of the 7 head to head Cb match ups.  

In 1v1 drills, you're expecting the WR to have an advantage.  So it's not enough to catch the ball, it's also a how much they won by.  Everything was difficult.  He made some catches due to size, not from ability to separate.  Most of his fakes were not getting the corners to bite.  His route running against man coverage did not look effective.

In 1v1 drills, the QB has to throw the ball to him.  He's the only target.  But in a game, if a QB is going through progressions quickly, he's likely going to move to the next route instead of pulling the trigger on a 50/50 ball with a defender in the back hip.  It's why a lot of these contested catch stars in college bust in the NFL.  QB's don't give them the opportunity.

All that said, still haven't watched cutups of Nico Collins yet.  If he shows separation skills in games, that then puts a questionmark into the Senior Bowl stuff.

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Yep, good draft to have a fair few day two picks, my favourite move at 19 is trade back right now

I think mine is as well, only caveat being someone drops to that pick that you simply can’t say no to.

I want Pitts more than anything and I know it's completely unrealistic. 

Otherwise, my first choice is to trade our First for a first next year and an extra 2&3 this season.

Second Choice is Zaven Collins. If that can be done at 19, great. If not, I'm still happy with the pick.

While it is true that for the price of a great OT in FA, you have to pay through the nose, but the chance of signing a great MLB at any price is extremely rare. 

Not too many bad defenses with great MLBs (except Dallas last year and they had two great ones).

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Has there been much discussion about Cameron McGrone ? Looks like an intriguing prospect on first watch. What round projection on him.?

He has been discussed and expected to go between late 3rd-5th. The discussion here would be a taking him in the 4th or 5th if LB failed to be addressed prior to that. Of course it would be great if LB was addressed already and they took him but I don't see that at this point. @stevemcqueen1was the one first bringing up his name

Hell just found this, I really like Alaric Jackson as a day 3 OT, and I like the idea of going best available QB round 4. Prefer Newman, although it seems like we may consider picking a QB day 2.

R3 
Washington 
Washington NFL Mock Draft logo
Cameron McGrone 
Michigan 
OLB 
Reach/Value:

+12 

Height:
6'1'' 
Weight:
Cameron McGrone NFL Draft photo