Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

From Matt Miller's draft report site.

Be interesting if Devonta drops to our pick.  The emotion side of me would take Devonte in 2 seconds.  I've seen him play live a few times.  He was probably the dude (aside from Chase Young) I've raved about the most in 2019 and it carried to 2020.  

He has great hands, can seperate, is a good YAC dude -- but what I love the most about him is he's so clutch.  He's such a gamer.  He makes big plays in big moments.  As I said in 2019, he was the go to receiver (not Jeudy or Ruggs) in big spots in big games and he delivered.

But the 170 pounds does worry me, also this draft is so stacked at WR.  I'd probably still take him though. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 2.49.24 PM.png

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From Matt Miller's draft report site.

Be interesting if Devonta drops to our pick.  The emotion side of me would take Devonte in 2 seconds.  I've seen him play live a few times.  He was probably the dude (aside from Chase Young) I've raved about the most in 2019 and it carried to 2020.  

He has great hands, can seperate, is a good YAC dude -- but what I love the most about him is he's so clutch.  He's such a gamer.  He makes big plays in big moments.  As I said in 2019, he was the go to receiver (not Jeudy or Ruggs) in big spots in big games and he delivered.

But the 170 pounds does worry me, also this draft is so stacked at WR.  I'd probably still take him though. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 2.49.24 PM.png

Bolded is a HUGE no for me.  Hope we stay away.  Extremely talented but will be broken in two, I think before too many games and could suffer multiple concussions too.  He's playing with the big boys in the NFL.  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Bolded is a HUGE no for me.  Hope we stay away.  Extremely talented but will be broken in two, I think before too many games and could suffer multiple concussions too.  He's playing with the big boys in the NFL.  

Absolutely right. He didn’t play any big guys in the SEC or in the college playoffs or National Title game. Didn’t go up against pro defensive talent at all. Dude is gonna get crushed!

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Don't see the correlation between being thin and concussions.    He has the height to bulk up.  His ball skills, seperation skills are special.  It would be a HUGE strong maybe, leaning yes for me. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't see the correlation between being thin and concussions.    He has the height to bulk up.  His ball skills, seperation skills are special.  It would be a HUGE strong maybe, leaning yes for me. 

Agree. The league protects these guys now. There are targeting rules etc. The only things I think about with regards to size, are beating press coverage/releasing off the line, and contested catch situations. I’m not very worried about Devonta in either situation however.

Davonta Smith is Neo from the Matrix. Someone shared that “bend” video a few days ago. It’s incredible and so subtle, how he’s adapted to his lack of size and competition around him. That’s stuff you just can’t teach. I would have 0 issues drafting him with our first pick. 0.

Dude is a stud, I don’t care how small he is. 

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Hypothetically, who do we take in this scenario (I think Farley drops because of his back surgery) where the following 18 players are gone:

1). Lawrence

2). Wilson

3). Fields

4). Lance

5). Pitts

6). Chase

7). Waddle

8). D. Smith

9). Sewell

10). Slater

11). Darrisow

12). AVT

13). Cosmi

14). Najee

15). Surtain

16). Horn

17). Collins

18). JOK

Farley getting hurt sucks because he was assuredly going to before 19.  I'm not touching Parsons because of the character concerns.  Do we take Teven Jenkins and hope he can play LT (Tony Pauline seems to think so).  Do we take Eitienne?  Perhaps Bateman?  Is Jammin Davis in play in the sense that Kiper and DJ both have him super rising?

Parsons. And I am not even thinking twice about it. No chance I am passing up that mix of size and athleticism at 19.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Parsons. And I am not even thinking twice about it. No chance I am passing up that mix of size and athleticism at 19.

And you run the risk of him being out of the league in two years for some off the field issue.  (see Guice).   Not saying Parsons would be a stupid pick but for a team trying to change the culture he wouldn't be the ideal pick, in my opinion, talent or not.      I would lean on trading down and picking up draft capital for next year to move up and get our QB then

1 minute ago, RedskininATL said:

And you run the risk of him being out of the league in two years for some off the field issue.  (see Guice).   Not saying Parsons would be a stupid pick but for a team trying to change the culture he wouldn't be the ideal pick, in my opinion, talent or not.      I would lean on trading down and picking up draft capital for next year to move up and get our QB then

You do. But it's the 19th pick. Not a top 10. And there is no one else on the board with anywhere close to upside of Parsons if the board falls that way. 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You do. But it's the 19th pick. Not a top 10. And there is no one else on the board with anywhere close to upside of Parsons if the board falls that way. 

Especially at the position of primary need on the roster. Almost have to take that chance and let the pro locker room straighten him out.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Fair enough.  I would still trade down in that situation.  If he's there later I would take him then, and the draft pick I picked up makes the risk less significant.   

17 minutes ago, RedskininATL said:

You cannot teach what Micah has and I won't do it justice trying to put it into words. He reminds me of LB's in the mold of Patrick Willis and those guys just have the innate ability to elevate the entire defense. Parson's is too good to pass up at #19. I'd take the chance after being on the fence for a long while. My opinion has evolved on quite a few players over the past few weeks and Parson's one of them. I'm thinking Rivera must secretly love Micah and if anyone can reach this young man and get him focused on his profession, it's Ron. The sky's the limit for him if so.

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Hypothetically, who do we take in this scenario (I think Farley drops because of his back surgery) where the following 18 players are gone:

1). Lawrence

2). Wilson

3). Fields

4). Lance

5). Pitts

6). Chase

7). Waddle

8). D. Smith

9). Sewell

10). Slater

11). Darrisow

12). AVT

13). Cosmi

14). Najee

15). Surtain

16). Horn

17). Collins

18). JOK

Farley getting hurt sucks because he was assuredly going to before 19.  I'm not touching Parsons because of the character concerns.  Do we take Teven Jenkins and hope he can play LT (Tony Pauline seems to think so).  Do we take Eitienne?  Perhaps Bateman?  Is Jammin Davis in play in the sense that Kiper and DJ both have him super rising?

Not a single DL taken in the 1st 18 picks is so unrealistic lol.

Losing a year of development really turns me off when it comes to Parsons, he is still trying to learn the position, but from a talent standpoint he is BPA right here. I absolutely think opting out of an entire season should hurt your stock, no matter how much you train, you were not getting that high level of competition you would be getting from participating in the college season.

Really, I can't say if I would take him or not because he is the type of player that needs a thorough background check conducted with multiple interviews involved. I am skeptical if he's a guy who would put in the effort it takes to be a star in the NFL, I don't have a good feeling about him when it comes to that sort of thing. Collins went from a QB to a stud LBer, you don't go from QB to star LBer without putting in a ton of work. With limited knowledge just based off of that, I assume Zaven Collins is a hard worker. 

The choice here for me is Mac Jones. I've warmed up to him a lot, learning a year behind Fitzpatrick would hopefully do wonders for him and set him up for success. Micah Parsons is also another choice if he checks out. If he checks out completely and JDR and Rivera give the thumbs up, the NFL just messed up. 

The choices drop-off after that for me. Nothing gets me excited after those two choices, the board falling like this would suck. 

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Not a single DL taken in the 1st 18 picks is so unrealistic lol.

Losing a year of development really turns me off when it comes to Parsons, he is still trying to learn the position, but from a talent standpoint he is BPA right here. I absolutely think opting out of an entire season should hurt your stock, no matter how much you train, you were not getting that high level of competition you would be getting from participating in the college season.

Really, I can't say if I would take him or not because he is the type of player that needs a thorough background check conducted with multiple interviews involved. I am skeptical if he's a guy who would put in the effort it takes to be a star in the NFL, I don't have a good feeling about him when it comes to that sort of thing. Collins went from a QB to a stud LBer, you don't go from QB to star LBer without putting in a ton of work. 

The choice here for me is Mac Jones. I've warmed up to him a lot, learning a year behind Fitzpatrick would hopefully do wonders for him and set him up for success. Micah Parsons is also another choice if he checks out, if he checks out completely and JDR and Rivera give the thumbs up, the NFL just messed up. 

The choices drop-off after that for me. Nothing gets me "excited". 

That's what I think is realistic.  Yes, everyone knows how I feel about Jones and how high I am on him but what you stated her seems to be the best route we can take.  He needs to get rid of the baby fat but our training staff can do that.  :)

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Agree. The league protects these guys now. There are targeting rules etc. The only things I think about with regards to size, are beating press coverage/releasing off the line, and contested catch situations. I’m not very worried about Devonta in either situation however.

His size makes me pause some.  But if I got him in the building, I'd stick him with the weight trainer and add upper body strength.  He has the frame to add weight.

The dude is such a special receiver, that I'd take the chance on him in spite of his build.  If he went 5"8 I'd feel differently but at 6 "1, he can add girth. 

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's what I think is realistic.  Yes, everyone knows how I feel about Jones and how high I am on him but what you stated her seems to be the best route we can take.  He needs to get rid of the baby fat but our training staff can do that.  :)

To me, already looks like he's lost a decent amount of fat since that atrocity of a photo of him with his shirt off smoking that cigar. I was shocked at how big that dude was, I didn't expect that lol. 

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I wouldnt blow a gasket if they took Jones if the board fell that way. If they believe he is a franchise QB than so be it. I personally think the guy will end up a career backup and there is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with taking a shot at a franchise signal caller with the 19th pick. 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I wouldnt blow a gasket if they took Jones if the board fell that way. If they believe he is a franchise QB than so be it. I personally think the guy will end up a career backup and there is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with taking a shot at a franchise signal caller with the 19th pick. 

Maybe Parsons and Mills/or Mond later in the draft might be a better option. It's hard to get excited about Mac Jones, it really is. He is about as vanilla as it gets, running that 4.6 should help him a lot (I don't believe that time for a second)

Edit: Okay I just read it was a 4.85, that's more accurate. I saw reports of it being a 4.68 yesterday and rolled my eyes lol. 

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

1). Lawrence

2). Wilson

3). Fields

4). Lance

5). Pitts

6). Chase

7). Waddle

8). D. Smith

9). Sewell

10). Slater

11). Darrisow

12). AVT

13). Cosmi

14). Najee

15). Surtain

16). Horn

17). Collins

18). JOK

This is the kind of situation I was getting at when I asked about the worst case scenario for the FO (so thanks! :)).

Could potentially be even worse - if Bateman goes and instead Surtain drops (does the Carolina ‘strategy’ of avoiding corners in the 1st comes into play).. if they aren’t enamored with Jones, have taken Parsons off the board, etc... they could be in a bad spot.  Based on the Carolina history with RR/Hurney (and drafting McCaffrey), I could see Etienne being the pick.  

As I said previously though, it might open up trade down options, which might be their best bet.  Allows them more leeway to use a flyer on a qb, or to trade up in the 2nd or 3rd.

40 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Maybe Parsons and Mills/or Mond later in the draft might be a better option. It's hard to get excited about Mac Jones, it really is. He is about as vanilla as it gets, running that 4.6 should help him a lot (I don't believe that time for a second)

Edit: Okay I just read it was a 4.85, that's more accurate. I saw reports of it being a 4.68 yesterday and rolled my eyes lol. 

With that defense, why is vanilla such a bad thing? 

Archived