Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I wonder if tackling and assignments are going to be an issue after such a shortened offseason... 🤪🤪

It was pretty ugly defense.

But not bad for a true freshman RB. Literally the first play of his college "career" and he takes it to the house.

CJ Evans. He kind of looks like Chris Thompson doesn't he ?

4688723.png&w=350&h=254

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

washington_logo.png
Washington

Justin Fields

QB, Ohio State

So, this is one of those spots where I am probably going to get some hate simply due to the nature of when this mock draft is being published.

I have seen some early mock drafts already where the Washington Football Team is selecting in the top five or even top three, and yet the author has them taking an offensive tackle or an offensive weapon, citing getting help for quarterback Dwayne Haskins, as they are not ready to give up on him, at this current time, since he has yet to play the 2020 season.

However, this is a projection mock, and much like the Jaguars picking at No. 1, if Washington is selecting No. 2 overall, they’re taking a quarterback; that’s just that. If you believe Haskins will have the team performing better and going in a better direction than getting this high of a pick, that’s a topic for another time. But since we are going off Vegas’ odds to win the Super Bowl, and that has Washington picking second in this draft, I have to project they would be taking a quarterback in this scenario, especially given the fact that the organization was already split on Haskins when they drafted him, and now a full coaching staff change has taken place since.

Ron Rivera might not be giving up on Haskins yet, but he ain’t married to him yet, either.

He's misreading the team IMO.  We're taking Sewell if we draft second again.  It'll be like last year with Chase Young.  There was no real chance we'd take Tua at 2 and he was a much better prospect than Fields.

If Haskins is a complete bust, or suffers a career ending injury, we'll still pick Sewell and roll with Kyle Allen or Alex Smith before passing on him for a QB.  I 100% believe that.  That's how special Sewell is.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's misreading the team IMO.  We're taking Sewell if we draft second again.  It'll be like last year with Chase Young.  There was no real chance we'd take Tua at 2 and he was a much better prospect than Fields.

If Haskins is a complete bust, or suffers a career ending injury, we'll still pick Sewell and roll with Kyle Allen or Alex Smith before passing on him for a QB.  I 100% believe that.  That's how special Sewell is.

Agree. I also think there is no way we are picking at. Unless beset by injuries. The secondary and Haskins have both looked better than expected in camp. Haskins looks poised for a breakout season. I like us to win 6 games but look very promising while doing so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we were at 1, I think we'd take Lawrence no question.  If we were at 2, I think Sewell is the choice.

16 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If we were at 1, I think we'd take Lawrence no question.  If we were at 2, I think Sewell is the choice.

Assuming Lawrence makes it through this season healthy, agreed.  Injury is probably the only thing that can knock him out of the #1 slot.  Something the top Pac 12 and Big 10 guys don't have to worry about at least.

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I am with you on Sewell, he's the Chase Young of the O line.

As for Justin Fields, I don't really have an opinion, I got to study him.  It did get my attention though that a dude who worked as a Qb coach to both Fields and Haskins, and loved them both, in a podcast made the case that Fields is special.  He was higher on him than he was on Haskins.  He said that Fields can run like Lamar Jackson yet has a better arm.  

I hope Haskins ends up the goods, and have some confidence he does.  But it was tough for me to ignore listening to someone who has worked closely with both Haskins and Fields just gush about Fields like he was a freak of a QB and will tear up the NFL.  Like I said I got no idea myself but that podcast at least made me want to pay attention to Fields this year.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

I admit I am cynical about Dan "doing the right thing".  I am no expert but I've been around investigations in a public business I am in and even had to testify once in court.

My guess here is that the lawyer representing the women threatened litigation aimed at the NFL if they allowed the Redskins to do their own internal investigation and left it at that.  My guess is Goodell told Dan he's put the NFL in a bind.  And Dan had no choice but to relent seeing the writing on the wall -- and his PR people told him to get ahead of it by officially asking Goodell to take over which they felt would happen anyway.

Just a guess on my end but that's my hunch.  If I were advising Dan under a context like I spelled out, I too would recommend Dan do what he did. 

The giveaway to me that makes me cynical is the press statement from Dan and Tanya.  That comes off like an orchestrated PR move. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

51 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think it’s time to invest a premium pick at OT. 

It was time to do that last year, but our hand was forced.

Between this year and next a lot of players will have to get cut due to the shrinking cap. With FA before the draft we might be able to sign a guy rather than draft one.

• Like 1

ES favorite who isn’t concerned about break out age:

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue expects second-round rookie Van Jefferson to be the Rams' No. 3 receiver.

Jefferson has been one of the standouts of Rams camp, and he appears to have passed Josh Reynolds on the depth chart behind Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. Before training camp, it was expected to be Reynolds replacing Brandin Cooks in three-wide sets. The Rams have a ton of targets up for grabs in coach Sean McVay's scheme that relies heavily on 11 personnel. Anyone who plays significant snaps in this offense is automatically on the fantasy radar.

RELATED: 
SOURCE: The Athletic
Sep 2, 2020, 11:22 AM ET
  •  

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think it’s time to invest a premium pick at OT. 

Should have waited on Trent, he will be in the pro bowl, he was our own, we should have waited if not getting a #1 +.

Sip WRs are looking strong, Edwards & Van.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Steelers loving Claypool, Dotson, Highsmith & McFarland. 

Terp, Antoine Brooks, son of a family friend, is struggling a bit. 

Claypool is kicking arse.

I was big on some of the guys having big camps.  Claypool though not one of them, he struck me for a fast dude to be stiff and not very shifty.  But I trust the Steelers on Wrs.  They did take one of my dudes last year in Diontae Johnson. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was big on some of the guys having big camps.  Claypool though not one of them, he struck me for a fast dude to be stiff and not very shifty.  But I trust the Steelers on Wrs.  They did take one of my dudes last year in Diontae Johnson. 

Johnson is phenomenal.

CeeDee is killing it, the Raiders may have messed that one up.

• Like 1