Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 8/18/2020 at 4:36 PM, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t even like Brevin Jordan and that class looks awesome. 

what are your thoughts on Jordan? Awesome athlete, but my understanding is that his ball skills are poor. 

My first take was that he's a Jordan Reed style TE.  Or a super twitchy version of Chris Cooley.  He's the talent people were hoping they were getting with Hunter Bryant.  But he's not soft like Bryant and he has real juice.  Not a loping long strider who will run away from you in the open field like Pitts, but remarkable ability to put his foot in the ground and take off for a TE.  Shockingly effective on catch and run stuff, especially screens, which is unusual.  It gives him unique utility to be a horizontal concept weapon and a safety blanket option.  I could see him fitting in well in a multiple look system with a lot of motion like ours.  I also think his elite explosiveness could translate into better vertical concept route running over time.  He's already shown a little diversity in what he can run, but I think his ability to explode out of breaks and explode off the line of scrimmage give him potential to be a three level threat once he develops his release game and his route running. 

He's more talented than all of the TEs from the 2020 class IMO, but probably only the fourth most talented TE from this year's class at best.  Freiermuth, Pitts, and Wydermyer are just so much bigger than him.  They are special size-speed athletes.

• Like 1

Georgia has five corners on that list from Dane Brugler.  Richard LeCounte III is one of their deep safeties and he's a really good prospect too.  Reminds me of Julian Blackmon in build, role, and style.  Aggressive playmaker with a nose for the ball and he's got good hands and body control.  Return threat.  Plays with physicality and reckless abandon, but he lacks play strength so he's going to take time to develop before he can start at the NFL level.  He's one of the senior safety prospects who has stood out to me so far.

• Like 1

Wanted to go back to the Tutu Atwell discussion to highlight how special  of an athlete he is.  He's #6 on Bruce Feldman's freaks list, and Feldman says he ran a 4.26 40 and a 3.9 20 yard shuttle.  Those times would be very close to combine records.  And just to highlight what a great day he had against those Syracuse safeties, Trill Williams and Andre Cisco are #16 and #25 on Feldman's freaks list and he reports they ran laser-timed 4.34 and 4.33 40s respectively.  And Atwell just ran away from them in the open field.  Built ten yards of separation Cisco in the blink of an eye on that 90 yard touchdown catch.

• Like 1

1. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS – CLEMSON QB TREVOR LAWRENCE

As with most top prospects who drew scouts’ eyes early in their careers, Trevor Lawrence started to get nitpicked a bit over the summer as folks dove into his tape. He wasn’t as mechanically sound as some would like for a presumptive top-pick candidate, Tee Higgins salvaged oodles of yards for him downfield on jump balls, etc. I’d caution against overthinking this one. Lawrence is a prodigy, an elite pocket passer with a big frame and a strong arm who also happens to be a strong athlete, capable of inflicting damage as a runner and making plays outside of structure. He’s going to keep getting better.

2. WASHINGTON – OHIO STATE QB JUSTIN FIELDS

I believe in Dwayne Haskins. But if Washington is picking second again – as they are in this exercise – that assuredly means Haskins didn’t take the developmental step forward in 2020 that Washington might need to see to eschew a quarterback prospect like Justin Fields. Washington’s new staff and braintrust didn’t choose Haskins, and likely won’t afford him a long leash. If Washington was picking No. 2 and wanted to stick with Haskins, conversely, the No. 2 slot would become prime trade-out real estate, and Washington could field Godfather move-up offers from teams like Las Vegas, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Indianapolis, or Chicago. Either way, Fields is the odds-on 1.2 favorite currently.

3. CINCINNATI BENGALS – OREGON OT PENEI SEWELL

It won’t take long to submit this card. Sewell is easily the most dominant offensive lineman in this class, and he’s still only 19. The light-footed bulldozer would ensure Joe Burrow’s blind side is clean for the foreseeable future. Sewell’s presence would significantly upgrade Cincinnati’s Achilles heel; over the summer, PFF ranked the Bengals’ offensive line No. 31 in the NFL. Sewell and Jonah Williams would solve the tackle issue, leaving Cincinnati a few interior starters away from turning a negative position group into a positive.

4. CAROLINA PANTHERS – LSU WR J’MARR CHASE

How perfect would this be? The best receiver in the class reunites with former LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady, now the wunderkind OC of the Panthers. Meanwhile, Carolina, in need of receivers to stock Brady’s wide-open system, could enter 2021 with a scary top four of Chase, Robby Anderson, DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel. Carolina could also consider a quarterback if they’re picking this high, though it’s worth noting that Teddy Bridgewater is essentially guaranteed the job through 2021 – it would take a $20 million cap hit to move on from him after this season, but only $5 million to cut Bridgewater following Year 2 of his three-year deal.

5. NEW YORK JETS – ALABAMA WR JAYLEN WADDLE

Going back to his time at USC, Sam Darnold has rarely shared the field with game-breaking receivers. It should be New York’s top priority next offseason to change that. Waddle is so dangerous, with 4.3 wheels and precision steering through traffic. He led the country with 12.2 yards after the catch last year. And as with former teammate Henry Ruggs, Waddle’s deep speed must be respected by the defense each play. Waddle also provides All-Pro returner ability.

• Like 1

Look at this big Iowa farmboy in this very unusual 40 minute highlight video for an offensive lineman:

He is a freight train on those power pulls.  Blocking three dudes to spring a touchdown.  What is he doing at UNI?  This dude is a first round talent that should be playing for a power program.  He is so physically superior to his competition that he can get any block he wants without having to work too hard.

This was surprisingly entertaining.  I need one of these highlight reels for Penei Sewell.

This is a dude who loves playing football because he gets to assault people.

EDIT: Just noticed that he's pretending like he can't see the defensive player who is chirping at him in that picture at the start of the video 😄.  On that play the finish was extra nasty and the defender was pissed.  Spencer Brown is a barbarian.  A big guy who embraces being a bully and clown.  His technique is rough and he's in for a shock when he hits the NFL and faces some real studs who are going to give him an education in hand-work, but he is an unbelievable natural talent.  Look at how low he gets in that stance.  He's 6'9 and he could sit there all day.  He's got a top percentile combo of length and speed that is reminiscent of Nate Solder.  Maybe not as steady and disciplined, but he's a lot flashier and meaner than Solder.  Twitchier too.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 2

One of the dudes i liked in the last draft.  i like to read about our division rivals when I can.  the two common threads that i keep hitting in that mix is that Judge in NY is a Coughin type as for discipline and not everyone there is loving it.  And in Philly, i've been reading Reagor so far is killing it, and is set right now to start.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Caleb Farley is no longer in the running for my top CB of 2021, I don’t think. He’s a great talent, but I didn’t realize his injury history. 

He played 2 years of college ball and had season ending injuries both seasons. An ACL in 2018, and in 2019 he didn’t play the last 2 games because of, “back spasms”, and then had back surgery after the season to fix a, “pinched nerve”. That sounds like surgery for a herniated disc.

I’ve had my fill of that genera of player. The often injured guy. There are too many good options in this draft for me to want to take a medical risk on a guy like that in the mid 1st this year. Now, in the bottom of the 1st, or top of the 2nd...different story entirely. 

• Like 2

Brugler's top 12

https://theathletic.com/2019653/2020/08/25/dane-bruglers-top-50-trevor-lawrence-penei-sewell-lead-initial-draft-board/

1. *Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson (6-5, 220)
It doesn’t take an experienced evaluator to spot Lawrence’s immense talent, from his size to his arm to his athleticism. But his tape also shows an instinctive passer who can decipher defenses, use the whole field and create with his arm and legs. While his consistency has plenty of room for improvement, Lawrence is the clear favorite to be the No. 1 player drafted.

2. *Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon (6-6, 330)
Sewell, who doesn’t turn 20 until October, is far from a perfect player, but he is my highest non-quarterback prospect. Not only is he physically gifted with outstanding athleticism and power, but he plays with timing, smarts and violence to dominate his assignments. Although he needs to tidy up a few areas, Sewell has NFL starting talent with the potential to be a Pro Bowl performer.

3. *Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama (6-2, 205)
If he was in last year’s draft class, there would have been an interesting debate as to whether he or Jeff Okudah would have been the first cornerback taken. In several ways, Surtain is the prototype at the position with his length, athleticism and instincts. He can play press man, off man or zone and looks comfortable lining up inside and outside. He has room to get stronger and make more plays in the run game, but Surtain has the talent and competitiveness to be special.

4. *Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU (6-0, 210)
Although he doesn’t have elite size or speed, Chase’s gifted combination of fluid athleticism, body/hand strength and field awareness make him a dangerous weapon at every level of the field. Coming off one of the most productive seasons in college football history, he likely would have been the first wide receiver drafted in April.

5. *Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State (6-3, 244)
A high school pass rusher, Parsons is a difference-maker at linebacker. And according to head coach James Franklin, he “hasn’t even scratched the surface” of how good he can be because he didn’t start playing the position until college. With only one season of starting experience, Parsons isn’t a finished product, but you bet on his traits every day.

6. *Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State (6-2, 225)
Coming from the FCS, Lance will face the same questions as Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garoppolo and other non-FBS quarterback prospects who didn’t face top-tier competition each week. However, he will face even more scrutiny (if he declares) because he is still very young and inexperienced with just his redshirt freshman season on his resume. Nonetheless, Lance is an instinctive playmaker who can stress out the defense with his creativity and skill — very similar to a larger version of Kyler Murray.

7. *Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State (6-3, 230)
It was a treat to study Ohio State’s offense due to its design and talent. And despite it being his first season with the Buckeyes, Fields was masterful orchestrating head coach Ryan Day’s offensive play calling. Although he needs to improve his consistency, recognition and durability, Fields has everything required to be a high-end starter in the NFL.

8. *Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech (6-2, 205)
Even though the ACC still plans to play this fall, Farley has opted out of the season and will enter the draft. A high school quarterback, Farley began his college career at wide receiver before moving in 2018 to cornerback, where he thrived. He is a good-sized athlete with balanced footwork to stay in phase at all levels and the ball skills to disrupt passing windows.

9. *Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama (6-3, 235)
C.J. Mosley. Reuben Foster. Dont’a Hightower. Rolando McClain. Rashaan Evans. Since arriving in Tuscaloosa, Saban has created an impressive NFL pipeline for off-ball linebackers — and Moses is next. All five of the aforementioned Alabama linebackers were drafted in the first round and Moses owns the explosive traits to join them — as long as the medicals check out because he missed all of last season with an ACL injury.

10. *Gregory Rousseau, Edge, Miami (Fla.) (6-7, 265)
A wide receiver and defensive back in high school, Rousseau had dominant flashes last season, leading the ACC with 19.5 tackles for loss and 15.5 sacks. While he has big-time upside due to his frame, movement skills and power potential, Rousseau isn’t yet the sum of his parts and is still learning how to use all of his gifts in unison to be a consistent terror off the edge. Despite my reservations, Rousseau is still the top pass-rush prospect in the class due to his high ceiling.

11. *Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida (6-6, 240)
With his athletic traits, ball skills and competitive toughness, Pitts plays like a younger version of Jared Cook. And just like it took Cook a few seasons to get comfortable with the pro game, it might take Pitts some time to adjust to the complexities of the NFL. But with continued refinement as a blocker and receiver, Pitts has the talent to be a difference-making tight end in the NFL.

12. *Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama (5-10, 182)
A natural catch-and-go creator, Waddle is a gifted athlete with short-area burst and top-end speed to leave defenders huffing and puffing all over the field. He can line up across the formation and is also a weapon as a return man as he has three career special teams touchdowns. If he continues to mature as a wide receiver, Waddle could easily become one of the first three at the position drafted in April.

• Like 1

Sips boys Asiasi & Bryan Edwards having great camps.

On 8/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Interesting.  We’re probably #5 though. I would have us below the Chargers... I agree with the rest.  

People like the AFC west this year, a lot of 1-5 & 0-6 predictions for SD.

15 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

@volsmet a guy I remember you being high on.

There seem to be more injuries to rookies than usual, which would be understandable under these conditions. 

Rookie WRs & RBs are killing camps — it’s been more difficult for the big guys so far. 

• Like 1

Some (non round 1) rookies from around the league who are impressing:

Asiasi & Uche looking like possible starters in NE.

Mykal Walker showing out in Atl, Hennessy looking like a starter.

Hodgins & Davis showing well in Buffalo.

Chinn starting in Carolina & Pride pushing for time.

Josh Jones projected to start in AZ.

Motley & Winfield showing out in TB.

Amik coming along in Oakland, while Edwards continues to impress.

Van Jefferson & Lewis pushing for significant early time in LAr while Akers takes over RB1.

Malik Harrison showing out in Baltimore.

John Hightower pushing in Philly.

Biadasz, Diggs & Robinson impressing in Dallas.

Cushenburry, Agim, Hamler, Albert O, & Ojemudia have shown well in Denver, but injuries have been a bit too routine for the young Broncos.

Garvin & Jake Hansen playing well in Green Bay.

Dantzler playing very well in Minnesota.

Kmet, Johnson & London Lacale proving themselves in Chicago.

Jackson, Swift, & Cephus impressing in Detroit.

Kindley, Davis, Strowbridge, Igbinog, Jones & Hunt performing in Miami.

Peart & Angulo pushing for substantial time in NY.

Harrison Bryant & Jacob Phillips earning plenty of respect in Clev.

Joe Reed playing well in LAc.

Taylor, Blackmon, & Rutledge look good in Indi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1