Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah this is why I find it hard to believe we'll be in a position to get Sewell and have Haskins take a leap forward. Our D is looking to be potentially very good so that and even a mediocre offense with Haskins playing mediocre ball would probably mean 5 wins and being out of the top 3. I'd love to get Sewell but I'd settle for Parsons or Chase in the top 10, especially if it meant Haskins looked promising. 

I'd be thrilled to pick in the 20s if it means the defense kicked ass and Haskins and the other young guys on offense looked good.  That's our best outcome, because it means we've got the foundation in place to become truly competitive.  It'd be crushing if the defense is still bad this season, that to me is the absolute worst outcome.

17 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd be thrilled to pick in the 20s if it means the defense kicked ass and Haskins and the other young guys on offense looked good.  That's our best outcome, because it means we've got the foundation in place to become truly competitive.  It'd be crushing if the defense is still bad this season, that to me is the absolute worst outcome.

I initially scoffed at the idea of picking in the 20's, but looked back for the last 2 years. In 2020 the Eagles finished 9-7 and picked 21. In 2019, the Titans were 9-7 and picked at 19. I don't think a 9-7 record is impossible. But, even if the defense is good and Haskins progresses, I don't think it's likely. Looking at the actual schedule, I think we are going to lose a lot of games. 

So, hypothetical question. What do you think a realistic but promising projection for Dwayne Haskins looks like this year. For me I'd say, maybe 3300 yards, 24TD's and 14 picks, 65% completion percentage. I would look at that and say, in 2021, he could throw for 4k, 30 and 10 if we protect him and add a TE and WR2 and beef up the OL. 

Unless your projection for Haskins this year is a lot more promising than mine, I still see us as a 5 or 6 win team. In the 2020 draft that would have had us choosing between 5 and 10. In the 2019 draft it would have had us choosing between 5 and 12. In the 2018 draft it would have had us choosing between 5 and 11. I expect we will be slotted somewhere in that range. 

17 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Not sure we'll be bad enough for Sewell. He's definitely #1 on my want list in the 2021 draft. #2 is quite easily Ja'Marr Chase, but the only way we're getting him is if we're worse than the Bengals.

I agree with this. I will say however, that I would be in favor of trading up for Penei if it just takes our 2022 1st or even that and a player. I think he's going to be that good, and it is damned hard to find super elite OT's. It's not like WR where you might find one in the 2nd or 3rd. If we have QB, WR1, LT, LDE and RDE cinched up, that is a super strong core to build around. Especially with Kyle Smith. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29861558/ohio-state-guard-wyatt-davis-projected-1st-rounder-nfl-draft-opts-out

Imagine adding Penei Sewell in the 1st and Wyatt Davis in the 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Unless your projection for Haskins this year is a lot more promising than mine, I still see us as a 5 or 6 win team. In the 2020 draft that would have had us choosing between 5 and 10. In the 2019 draft it would have had us choosing between 5 and 12. In the 2018 draft it would have had us choosing between 5 and 11. I expect we will be slotted somewhere in that range. 

I just can't get over potentially JAGs at LT, LG, Z-WR TE.  And our 2 best CBs have a history of getting banged up, especially Darby. 

Can you imagine if Scherff gets hurt again like in recent years?  One or two corners go down and we are starting guys like Stroman?

I think the wheels can come off quick. 

If I am playing this team, I'd just double Terry and crowd the line of scrimmage and dare Sims, Inman, and Thomas to beat me.  Sims has some promise to him but he's not a rock star level slot WR or at least not yet.   I'd also blitz the left side of the O line.   

If you double Terry and blitz from the left, then by math, someone is getting a mismatch.  either Sims, or the TE, or a RB.

Terry commanding a double is good for the other guys.  Good for Haskins too since it simplifies his reads. But it is especially good for the receivers working the middle of the field, who don't have to worry much about that safety on McLaurins side.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just can't get over potentially JAGs at LT, LG, Z-WR TE.  And our 2 best CBs have a history of getting banged up, especially Darby. 

Can you imagine if Scherff gets hurt again like in recent years?  One or two corners go down and we are starting guys like Stroman?

I think the wheels can come off quick. 

If I am playing this team, I'd just double Terry and crowd the line of scrimmage and dare Sims, Inman, and Thomas to beat me.  Sims has some promise to him but he's not a rock star level slot WR or at least not yet.   I'd also blitz the left side of the O line.   

I agree, in part. Definitely bracket Terry and make the other skill players beat you. We are going to be throwing a lot of passes to RB's, which in general is a good way to beat the blitz, and Antonio Gibson is going to house some of those. I think that if I were another team, I'd Bracket Terry, and then count on my front 4 to get pressure against Washington's mediocre OL. I'd drop as many as possible into coverage and run a lot of more exotic zone concepts to try to confuse a second year QB without a lot of starting experience, even at the college level. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-three-quarterbacks-taken-in-top-10-green-bay-finally-adds-a-receiver/

This draft has Micah Parsons at 3. He is going top 5 in this draft. Parsons is one of the surest bets. 

15 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'd drop as many as possible into coverage and run a lot of more exotic zone concepts to try to confuse a second year QB without a lot of starting experience, even at the college level. 

Me too.  This WR group is not going to be beating seven man coverages.  We need the run game to work and we need the defense to be good.  It's our only formula for winning.

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If you double Terry and blitz from the left, then by math, someone is getting a mismatch.  either Sims, or the TE, or a RB.

Terry commanding a double is good for the other guys.  Good for Haskins too since it simplifies his reads. But it is especially good for the receivers working the middle of the field, who don't have to worry much about that safety on McLaurins side.

Naturally, Thomas, Inman will have a mismatch but my take is so what? My game plan if I am an opponent is heck if  a dude like Thomas or Inman beat us then we deserve to lose.  

I recall Desean Jackson ironically talking up how they beat the Eagles that one season to make the playoffs, they covered him well in that game but that left it to Jordan Reed to kill them.  Alas, we don't have that Jordan Reed to exploit those mismatches.  Maybe Sims?  Will see. 

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Naturally, Thomas, Inman will have a mismatch but my take is so what? My game plan if I am an opponent is heck if  a dude like Thomas or Inman beat us then we deserve to lose.  

I recall Desean Jackson ironically talking up how they beat the Eagles that one season to make the playoffs, they covered him well in that game but that left it to Jordan Reed to kill them.  Alas, we don't have that Jordan Reed to exploit those mismatches.  Maybe Sims?  Will see. 

Even a JAG can produce against a repetitive and predictable mismatch at this level.  That's how you can have regular guys like Austin Hooper having big production in the wake of studs like Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley dictating coverages.

If Terry can command a consistent double and Dwayne and the OL can require a blitz to get pressure, that's a very good thing because it's how a weak group at WR and TE can get open and move the chains.  I'm not convinced anyone needs to blitz our OL.  If I were an opposing coach I would just use three and four man rushes on them and sit back in coverage all game.  Force the WFT to beat me on the ground.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Even a JAG can produce against a repetitive and predictable mismatch at this level.  That's how you can have regular guys like Austin Hooper having big production in the wake of studs like Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley dictating coverages.

If Terry can command a consistent double and Dwayne and the OL can require a blitz to get pressure, that's a very good thing because it's how a weak group at WR and TE can get open and move the chains.  I'm not convinced anyone needs to blitz our OL.  If I were an opposing coach I would just use three and four man rushes on them and sit back in coverage all game.  Force the WFT to beat me on the ground.

If Logan Thomas ends up Austin Hooper then I am with you.   If you have a good player albeit not a great one left alone, they can exploit a defense overcompensating.  But I think it's unlikely someone like Inman is going to have a really good year this season for example just because coverage is rolled towards Terry. 

As for blitzing, its just about always optimum for any team of course not to blitz because you can have your cake and eat it, too if you can get pressure with 4 and have the others focus on coverage.  However, if Gibson for example is struggling in blitz pick up as some say, or is confused as Rivera has said (I am not picking on Gibson, he was one of my draft man crushes) then on third and long, bring the heat.  At the moment, I'd bring the heat and blitz this team on third-obvious passing downs -- stunt a bunch too on the left side. 

If you got arguably 2 weak links on the left side and perhaps a weak link blocking RB, run them over.  I am not so sure that screens will defeat it. 

I guess will see tomorrow, Schwartz tends to like to blitz on third down-obvious passing downs and when teams get close to field goal range. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 11.46.33 AM.png

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

According to John Keim, the offense isn't geared to being ball control-based:

"This is a hard one because there's so much we don't know about Washington's plans plans. But, based on watching practices and knowing how much the team likes Gibson, I'll start with 15. Washington will rotate its backs; J.D. McKissicwill have a key role as a pass-catcher and in two-back sets. Washington likes Peyton Barber, too. But Gibson is the one it knows can do real damage with the ball as a runner or in the pass game. As coach Ron Rivera said recently, Washington is a better team with him on the field. Rivera doesn't want to play a ball-control offense, which means Washington will want playmakers on the field as much as possible. He's one of its few on offense; at least, Washington thinks he'll be one"

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

According to John Keim, the offense isn't geared to being ball control-based:

"This is a hard one because there's so much we don't know about Washington's plans plans. But, based on watching practices and knowing how much the team likes Gibson, I'll start with 15. Washington will rotate its backs; J.D. McKissicwill have a key role as a pass-catcher and in two-back sets. Washington likes Peyton Barber, too. But Gibson is the one it knows can do real damage with the ball as a runner or in the pass game. As coach Ron Rivera said recently, Washington is a better team with him on the field. Rivera doesn't want to play a ball-control offense, which means Washington will want playmakers on the field as much as possible. He's one of its few on offense; at least, Washington thinks he'll be one"

Seems to be a bit of confusion in terms, as I'd consider an offense full of short passes to its RBs to be a type of ball control offense.  It's like an outside run heavy offense in function.

Makes sense to say we want to run this dynamic big-play offense because why would you admit publicly that you can't make big plays or push the ball downfield.  But come on.  We're going to be running and throwing short with the big plays coming off play-action/RPOs/roll outs because we don't have the personnel to run a vertical-heavy passing game from the pocket.

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Seems to be a bit of confusion in terms, as I'd consider an offense full of short passes to its RBs to be a type of ball control offense.  It's like an outside run heavy offense in function.

Makes sense to say we want to run this dynamic big-play offense because why would you admit publicly that you can't make big plays or push the ball downfield.  But come on.  We're going to be running and throwing short with the big plays coming off play-action/RPOs/roll outs because we don't have the personnel to run a vertical-heavy passing game from the pocket.

In theory, I think, they're looking for good matchups with linebackers switching to the RB's and then having those routes get vertical?

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

None of those Florida State fans are wearing masks or distancing.  There is no way we're making it through this season.

As a Florida resident, this state has been a mess when it comes to COVID, doesn't shock me.  In the Notre Dame game, seemed like people wearing maskis when they flashed to the stands. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As a Florida resident, this state has been a mess when it comes to COVID, doesn't shock me.  In the Notre Dame game, seemed like people wearing maskis when they flashed to the stands. 

Yeah it looked like they were doing a far better job in Notre Dame.  Only let the students in I think, and had them sit with the people they lived with and in little pockets and everyone had a mask.

Samuel's two INTs were on unorthodox zones.  Deep third zone where he peeled off the post late on the first pick and looked like a simple underneath zone where the ball was thrown right at him on the second.  Nothing super special, the true freshman QB for GT just got confused and made two very bad decisions.  But it shows that Samuel is nice and aware in off zone, and the returns on the picks were good.

Marvin Wilson is the one who has really impressed me.  He's a brutal, Fletcher Cox-like presence that can just ragdoll single blocks.  He blocked a field goal too.  I'm surprised that a lot of draftniks don't think he's a first round caliber prospect.  I think he's really good.

Damn, Tarik Carpeneter just killed #5 on that play.  Hit him so hard he knocked himself out of the game.  That will get you to hear footsteps in the middle of the field.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Man I didn't even realize Justyn Ross had surgery on his spine and will be out for the year until they just said it on the broadcast.  Didn't keep up with Clemson's offseason news.

He would be a classic WFT target. Injured but with a high ceiling. I could see us grabbing him in the 4th. 

Every target against Surtain in the above video. Excellent length. A fair number of penalties. Good ball awareness and hands. I don't think his speed/hips are great. I don't love him in the top 10. But, I don't really LOVE a lot of the guys after Lawrence, Penei, and Chase. Also, at around the 10 minute mark in that video is JaMarr Chase catching a long TD on Surtain. On second glance, it's the same play that got Chase the long TD against CJ Henderson, who I thought really blanketed Chase. It was a rub. That offense was perfect for Chase, OC and QB. 

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

He would be a classic WFT target. Injured but with a high ceiling. I could see us grabbing him in the 4th. 

Every target against Surtain in the above video. Excellent length. A fair number of penalties. Good ball awareness and hands. I don't think his speed/hips are great. I don't love him in the top 10. But, I don't really LOVE a lot of the guys after Lawrence, Penei, and Chase. Also, at around the 10 minute mark in that video is JaMarr Chase catching a long TD on Surtain. On second glance, it's the same play that got Chase the long TD against CJ Henderson, who I thought really blanketed Chase. It was a rub. That offense was perfect for Chase, OC and QB. 

What about Parsons?

Washington’s offense can’t be ball control. It’s not talented enough up front. This offense will make its money in quick hitters and game breaking plays. That’s where all the chips are. This is the anti-ball control offense, and that’s one reason AP was cut. Didn’t fit.

This team is short on WR2, TE, LT, LG, RT. That’s just on offense. Against some teams a double on McLaurin is going to allow Sims and our younger guys/Inman to have decent showings. But other teams with good coverage units are going to eat the “mismatches” alive. 

This offense will live and die with disguise, misdirection and big plays. It has the horses to make big plays, whether Terry is doubled or not. But they have to keep the defense guessing or Haskins is going to be in peril.

I am more worried about our D than a lot of you are. I don’t love the secondary. Maybe Apke pans out. Darby/Fuller/Moreland/Moreau is a group of #2/3 guys, and if any of them go down the depth behind them is number 4 or 5 guys. 

I am extremely concerned with LB. 

By my estimation, to keep this on topic, we’ll be in the market for 1-2 receivers, a tight end, a LT, RT, G, 2-3 backers, a top end corner and maybe one other #3 type of corner. Quarterback may or may not be on the list. I tend to think it won’t be. 

I think this team is going to be improved. Just based on dysfunction/coaching and gameplan... things will be better. So while I seem down, I’m not.

I think this team has homerun potential on both sides of the ball, but not much grind it out potential. 

Archived