Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I really like him too KB.  I've abandoned my no safety in the first round take and I'm fine with him at 19.  We just need to come away with a good player period, I can't worry about the position.  My only hang up is I think I like Wu a little more.  But I definitely prefer Moehrig to Jamin Davis at 19.  I liked Zaven better too, but I don't think he's in the cards for us.  The lack of man coverage in his game probably ruled him out for us.  At the end of the day, you have to pick players who fit and Moehrig is a great fit.

I'm with you on all of your selling points and I think he's one of the top 20 players in the class.  He's the Thorpe winner and he doesn't require projection to see his NFL fit--he'll be good as a rookie.  I view him as the healthy, safety version of Caleb Farley and I love his versatility.  He plays the ball like an Alpha and is out there constantly "searching for his shots" to use a basketball metaphor.  Recovery speed is fine and is helped by the fact he's got great instincts for smelling a rat and sensing when that receiver is actually breaking deep through his area.  I think he's a gifted tackler too who can undercut screens and still finish the play.  He's not a big time striker admittedly, he's just good.

I think he's one of the safest picks we could make.  Him and Owusu-Koromoah are the two guys who you just know won't bust here.  Darrisaw too probably, but I'm not really expecting him to make it to 19.

Take the RBs off the board because we're not going to pick them.  How do you rank: Moehrig, Davis, Collins, Owusu-Koromoah, Newsome, Farley, Jenkins?

Well, Farleys health has him off my board. Newsome I don't have much of an opinion on, Jenkins I'm 50/50 on because of position and work ethic (although Moses looked good on the left and has improved every year as a pro, so maybe that could be a thing).

I'd have to put JOK first, even though I haven't pushed for him at all. I just think he would allow us to stay in a base 43 with his ability to cover the slot. Ron usually drafts a smaller, faster heady LBer to lead his defense, so I think he's on the top of 19.

Moehrig to me seems like the safest pick at a position of need. He fits in day one, culture guy, studier, weight room and holds the back of the defense down for the next decade. Generally when a FS is doing his job, the corners get mentioned a lot more. It allows them to play risky and gamble. I think that plays to our strengths. We'll face a lot of quick passing offenses and Moehrig seems like the perfect player to keep that in check. For our team, needing a high floor, high ceiling player from this draft, he's perfect. 

Collins I'm still really high on, although its cooled. If he can stay at 260lbs with his speed and great habits, he could be our MLB. I think he's smart and fast enough to play some man, but I don't think that's his game. I also think the drop off from Collins to Davis, Werner, Barnes for a 2 down backer isn't that far. If we got JOK, we could grab Bolton in the third and see what he looks like in a year or two.

Personally, I really like Moehrig, but I think our board has JOK slightly above him. If he doesn't go to the Raiders, he's the pick.

I think some of the defensive players are being slept on like Barmore and there might be some surprises tonight.

3 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

--------

About the QB discussion. Elite D with Fitzpatrick won't win us the Super Bowl. We might ride into the playoffs but look at Super Bowl winning QBs. You don't win with an average one. 

I think if we get in position to draft one. You take him. Because it's just a numbers game. For every amazing QB there are also amazing failures. If you keep hitting, you might find one. Next year's QB class is really really questionable. I can give you 6 potential guys but non has star power written over him. So skipping this year, bad class next year. 2023 our D will be different because of contracts. 

Ok then Trent Dilfer was elite right?🤦‍♂️

9 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

image.jpeg.465d6b70b5e176343409db3cdfc312b4.jpeg

Fun fact: This is actually made with the pure brown waters of the Mighty Genesee River and is then transformed into the nectar of the Gods.

Fun Fact II: No one would drink it if it was made from the pure brown waters of the Genesee River. But the second part of Fact I is correct. 

Fun Fact III: It’s Draft Day and boy am I hoping it’s a Fields Day or a Trey of goodies... But I have a feeling it’s going to be something super underwhelming... like... Jenkins. 

I don't really get the love fest for Parsons I have seen recently. Yeah he is an athletic freak and yeah our LB corps sucks but I just don't see him as the second coming of Luke Kuechly.

If there were no questions about him, sure I'd absolutely take him in the first round and be happy. But we got alle these character concerns on top of some questions about his instincts and his coverage ability. I wouldn't trade up for a linebacker in general but much less for a guy who could potentially be a problem in the locker room. I have often read that we now have a strong locker room and so Parsons wouldn't be a problem. I mean the last season was a move in the right direction but this "good culture", if it exists, is most definitely still fragile. That's something you build over years, not in one season. We are only 2 years removed from being an absolute dumpster fire of a culture. This team still has to deal with so manny issues on various fronts. I can't understand how anyone can have this much trust after just one year.

I honestly wouldn't know how I felt if we drafted him at 19, but I absolutely don't want to trade up for him.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Fun fact: This is actually made with the pure brown waters of the Mighty Genesee River and is then transformed into the nectar of the Gods.

Fun Fact II: No one would drink it if it was made from the pure brown waters of the Genesee River. But the second part of Fact I is correct. 

Fun Fact III: It’s Draft Day and boy am I hoping it’s a Fields Day or a Trey of goodies... But I have a feeling it’s going to be something super underwhelming... like... Jenkins. 

My buddy I grew up with, his dad and his friends were all Gennie loyalists. They went to the brewery once (in their 50s) . They wanted to do a tour of the place, because Genny drinkers are pretty much fanatics. They said they don't do tours, so they all filled out applications. When the secretary took them to whoever, they snuck in and ran around the brewery until security rounded them all up and kicked them out. :ols:

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Fun Fact IV: It's made with brown water and creates loud gross noises known as Genee Screamers baby then more brown water to back into the Mighty Genesee River :ols:

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Fun fact 3 (at least the second bit) is depressing...given all the hype and conjecture over the last several weeks....."at pick 19 the WFT selects Teven Jenkins  OT Oklahoma"....pffft.

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Fun Fact IV: It's made with brown water and creates loud gross noises known as Genee Screamers baby then more brown water to back into the Mighty Genesee River :ols:

The Screamers are real.

My paranoia is kicking in. I think Atlanta takes a QB or trades out with, say, Miami for Pitts and then they go QB at 6.

5 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I will say this, you have an argument if you consider success making the playoffs, winning 9 to 10 games and getting pasted as per usual in the playoffs. That could happen. However relevance? Actually mattering? That aint happening w/o a QB. There's a reason the Ravens are the only team that have managed to do it over the past thirty years really, and it's a product of fundamentally sound architecture and talent at all levels (good ownership, great front offices, great coaches, great process w/FA, Drafting and trades, great players, great consistency-we have pretty much none of that, and never will w/Snyder atop the pyramid. Snyder makes figuring out QB infinitely more important because he guarantees that consistency won't be possible long term in any other way). 

I'd add some like to highlight Foles and Eli.  In both cases they got red hot in the post season.    They weren't dragged into the SB win but were instrumental in making that happen.   and yeah you never know you can have a decent QB they gets on fire in the post season but the odds of that happening are low. 

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Atlanta would be nuts to pass over a QB. Especially if the 9ers take Jones and ATL have both Fields and Lance sat there available.

They've been watching the Saints pull some **** on them with Brees and Hill and they could do the same with Ryan and Lance. Atl should absolutely take a QB.

What's the consensus on Darrissaw after the recent medical info being released?

If no definite droppers he was my pick at 19. Now I am worried, should I be or is he good? Some mocks have him dropping or this a Sapp, Sweat kind of BS last minute thing?

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

If no definite droppers he was my pick at 19. Now I am worried, should I be or is he good? Some mocks have him dropping or this a Sapp, Sweat kind of BS last minute thing?

I mean he had a surgery for a core injury so I wouldn’t say it’s BS. 

It’s probably not a huge deal but we lack the details on it and that, to me, drops him. The team probably has more info so they can make a more informed decision.

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Most mocks still have him going in the teens. I believe the core surgery was in January and by all accounts he did well at his pro day in March. Kind of weird this became a story all of a sudden. I could see it possibly being a concern if the surgery was last week but it was pre pro day workout. Don't know if he had any issues with it during the season that led to the surgery? 

Sheehan poked around with sources last night.  His takeaways.  He said some of it is from his conversation, some of it is his own extrapolations from those conversatons

A.  If they trade up, its for Fields.  But they would unlikely do it 1-7.  It would start at 8.  (I am gathering the Lions are asking for the moon or there is some circumstance there involving Detriot).  They are interested in Fields.  So its possible.

B.  He doesn't think they take Lance.  Not even sure they would if he lands at 19

C.  in the end, he doesn't think they will take a QB if they don't take Fields in the first three rounds but on the off chance if they do it will be Trask.  But he doesn't think they will.  He said privately they are high on Kyle Allen as a backup and have some intrigue on Heinicke

D.  An offensive lineman is the top priority at 19.  Then LB or CB.  Not a WR at 19 unless Waddle/D. Smith falls.  But WR is in play if they trade back.  So he didn't mention S, and he's unique on that as for the first. 

E.  Darrisaw is a possibiity so is Vera Tucker if they are there. They think Vera-Tucker could play tackle.  Teams are smittened with Vera-Tucker's balance and movement and believe that will cover up his short arms but if he doesn't make it as a tackle he will be a great guard. 

F. If Darrisaw and Vera-Tucker are gone.  He's not sure what they think of Jenkins.  He thinks then they wait to day 2 at tackle.  He doesn't think they go for W. Little in spite of the rumors they like him. 

G. If he's at 19, they'd take Koramoah but he might be gone.  Greg Newsome is a possibility.  Jamin Davis maybe but like him more in a trade down

H.  If they take a WR it won't be Kadrius Toney or Bateman.   Sounds like he poked around on those 2 players.  If they trade back to the late first or trade up in the early 2nd at WR, they want a smooth hands catcher.  Quick guys, excellent seperation, elusive, good at tracking the ball -- Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Dwayne Eskridge and players in that mold.  

I. They want a WR ideally who can return kicks, referred back to Eskridge

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean he had a surgery for a core injury so I wouldn’t say it’s BS. 

It’s probably not a huge deal but we lack the details on it and that, to me, drops him. The team probably has more info so they can make a more informed decision.

9 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Most mocks still have him going in the teens. I believe the core surgery was in January and by all accounts he did well at his pro day in March. Kind of weird this became a story all of a sudden. I could see it possibly being a concern if the surgery was last week but it was pre pro day workout. Don't know if he had any issues with it during the season that led to the surgery? 

By BS I wasn't referring to the surgery but the way  the info was "leaked" the day before the draft. Hey perhaps it was WFT doing that to get him to 19

I guess if no droppers I stick with him at 19 with Jenkins staying as his offensive second fiddle if Darrisaw doesn't reach 19.

On defense I still think if they stay at 19 it's Jamin with Moehrig as the second option

Archived