Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Meant to post this in here:

I wonder if the Broncos would want to trade for Kerrigan now that Von Miller is out for the year. They’re both around the same age and have both mostly played LOLB or LDE their whole careers. 

That defensive line takes a severe hit without Von, but Kerrigan coming in can definitely mitigate a bit of the impact of losing their best player. 

I would trade him for a 2nd or two 3rds, given the situation Denver is currently in. That would go a long way to helping our rebuild. 

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I wonder if the Broncos would want to trade for Kerrigan now that Von Miller is out for the year. They’re both around the same age and have both mostly played LOLB or LDE their whole careers. 

That defensive line takes a severe hit without Von, but Kerrigan coming in can definitely mitigate a bit of the impact of losing their best player. 

I would trade him for a 2nd or two 3rds, given the situation Denver is currently in. That would go a long way to helping our rebuild. 

I would definitely consider trading Kerrigan. We have sufficient depth at the position and he is one of the few players we have that has real value to other teams.

Plus, given his age and the long rebuild ahead for the WTF, he will be at the end of his career by the time we actually are in contention for a title.

So yes I would have him on the trading block and auction his rights to the highest bidder.

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

As long as they aren't 2021 picks  (after the first few picks that draft becomes a total crapshoot).

So, I’ve seen people talking about the top of the 2021 Draft class... and while Penei is mentioned in passing, people are more about Fields, Lawrence and Lance being of the top consideration.

Maybe I’m off a bit, as people do believe Penei is a stud and deserving of a top 3 selection...

But I think that dude is the biggest badass in the draft. He’d have been the best player in this years draft, too. And that’s saying something given Chase Young. 

I’d take him well before Lawrence. 

I wouldn’t even think twice about it unless my team had its franchise LT set. 

Now, ask me to choose between Penei and Young and I'd have to think about it. But if there's even a CHANCE we get both? Heart be still.

36 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sewell is a better player than Lawrence, but Lawrence is a fantastic QB prospect.  A truly special one, and It makes him more valuable than any other non-QB prospect.  Lawrence can be the key foundation piece of a championship team.

Totally disagree with you.

:)

On 2/11/2020 at 8:35 AM, volsmet said:

Jonah Jackson can play

3rd rounder wins the starting job in Detroit. 

12 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Muti, Butt & a 3rd.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, Anselmheifer said:

There is a way we are 1-15. Imagine what this offense looks like if McLaurin gets hurt. Or Haskins. Or McLaurin and Logan Thomas. We are so thin on offense that a few injuries could ruin us. 

Forget about those guys, we aint even got any depth behind the scrubs that we've hoisted into starting positions!  We cant afford to lose anybody, especially our scrubs.   If Christian goes down, Moses goes down, Martin goes down, what do we even have as an option to fill in for the guys who are 2nd-string caliber starters we have?  We're one injury away from Shar Pourdanesh's son. 

Yeah I absolutely love Sewell as a prospect, but if I had to choose between him and Lawrence I'd take Lawrence every time (unless I already had an All Pro level QB). IMO they're equally good prospects at their positions (both incredibly rare talents with very few flaws) but QB is more valuable than any other position. I'd say QB -> EDGE -> LT

On 3/18/2020 at 3:28 AM, volsmet said:

I think NE is cheap & if cost wasn’t a consideration they’d take Cam over 95% of the QBs available. What I’ve heard is they would ditch the effort to make Cam a passer & have him grind out first downs for 2 years.; the rumors are relentless, some sources better than others. 

The Athletic's Jeff Howe said Patriots coaches believe QB Cam Newton can still be the kind of rusher he was in 2017, when he ran 139 times. 

That kind of rushing opportunity would give Newton, a 10th round pick, fantasy football MVP upside. He ran for 754 yards in 2017, along with six touchdowns. That's 111.4 fantasy points in rushing alone. “As long as I have legs, I think I’ll have the ability to (keep running),” Newton said. “It’s just making myself available when needed if asked to do so, and we’ll go from there.” It's been clear for weeks that Newton is the late-round quarterback of the 2020 season. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 
Sep 10, 2020, 10:30 AM ET
  •  
  •  

The Jags absolutely love Shenault, Turners guys, Gibson & Shenault, have impressed.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I absolutely love Sewell as a prospect, but if I had to choose between him and Lawrence I'd take Lawrence every time (unless I already had an All Pro level QB). IMO they're equally good prospects at their positions (both incredibly rare talents with very few flaws) but QB is more valuable than any other position. I'd say QB -> EDGE -> LT

Which is fair. But nothing is done in a vacuum, right? We have 4 more years with Haskins. Unless he’s awful, by keeping him as the guy through year 2, we’ve gone all in on the guy. 

In a weighted BPA system by team, is grade Sewell far ahead of Lawrence.

I like Lawrence. But I’m not as enamored with him as many. He’s excellent and franchise level... but I don’t think his talent holds a candle to Sewell. And QB and LT are close enough in scale to warrant drafting the LT in OUR situation.

(the caveat is if Haskins completely bombs).

28 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Which is fair. But nothing is done in a vacuum, right? We have 4 more years with Haskins. Unless he’s awful, by keeping him as the guy through year 2, we’ve gone all in on the guy. 

In a weighted BPA system by team, is grade Sewell far ahead of Lawrence.

I like Lawrence. But I’m not as enamored with him as many. He’s excellent and franchise level... but I don’t think his talent holds a candle to Sewell. And QB and LT are close enough in scale to warrant drafting the LT in OUR situation.

(the caveat is if Haskins completely bombs).

Yeah I was speaking more in a vacuum. For us, Sewell is my top pick unless Haskins is dreadful and we end up with the #1 pick. I like his progression at the end of last season and hope he can continue it but if he can't and he bombs and we end up with the chance to take Lawrence I'd have a pretty hard time turning it down. 

Lawrence is not a perfect prospect and he did show some flaws last season at times but I still think he's the most complete prospect since Luck as far as the entire package. 

I think Sewell will be a top 3 pick so if we're more in the 5-7 range I'd go with Parsons or Chase.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I was speaking more in a vacuum. For us, Sewell is my top pick unless Haskins is dreadful and we end up with the #1 pick. I like his progression at the end of last season and hope he can continue it but if he can't and he bombs and we end up with the chance to take Lawrence I'd have a pretty hard time turning it down. 

Lawrence is not a perfect prospect and he did show some flaws last season at times but I still think he's the most complete prospect since Luck as far as the entire package. 

I think Sewell will be a top 3 pick so if we're more in the 5-7 range I'd go with Parsons or Chase.

Yes indeed, ideally, we end up with Sewell and a rapidly improving DH. It could be tough to see a lot of positives with DH & pick in the top 3, but not impossible.

If we draft high enough to get Sewell and Dwayne actually plays well... that's one of the most depressing outcomes for me.  It would mean we are so far away that a good QB can't even get us wins.

I'm hopeful for an across the board improvement of the team.  Improvement from Dwayne and the receivers.  Improvement from the OL.  And massive improvement from the D.  I want to see our offense get confident and play with rhythm and identity, and I want to see our defense become a genuine menace.  Play with the knowledge that they are awesome and can impose their will on games, like those badass Ravens and Steelers and Bears defenses from the aughts.  If we see that transformation take place, then our coaching staff's tenure will become secure, our QB situation will stabilize, and we'll have a clear path forward to becoming truly competitive.

One of my man crushes from the last draft, I know he had some other fans here too, and some critics as well.  I recall an intense debate closer to the draft about the dude.   But so far, he's off to a good start.

9 hours ago, volsmet said:

Lawrence wasn’t exceptional last year, he had to run to change games once they got to the playoff.

trevorlawrence.com needs a big year.

Sewell in round 1, Trey Smith in round 2, return of the Hogs. 

Yeah to me its a no brainer O line, O line, WR, TE.  Offense in the next draft but especially O line.  I am fearful the O line is going to be the main feature of why this team might unravel this season.  

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One of my man crushes from the last draft, I know he had some other fans here too, and some critics as well.  I recall an intense debate closer to the draft about the dude.   But so far, he's off to a good start.

I didn’t see the intense debate, but I wouldn’t draft him in round 1, though he looks great.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I didn’t see the intense debate, but I wouldn’t draft him in round 1, though he looks great.

The debate wasn't about drafting him in round 1 but whether he should rated as one of the top 3 backs in the last draft, and I recall one person in the mix wasn't that high on him, and me and @KDawg in particular defended Helaire.  It's all cool and we are all right and wrong about different players and I enjoy a good debate.  And heck its just the beginning for Helaire so we will see. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah to me its a no brainer O line, O line, WR, TE.  Offense in the next draft but especially O line.  I am fearful the O line is going to be the main feature of why this team might unravel this season.  

OL, DL, DBs are the most influential non QBs imo. We have the DL, let’s load up on the Oline in what looks to be a great draft, and find ourselves more help for our young QB.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The debate wasn't about drafting him in round 1 but whether he should rated as one of the top 3 backs in the last draft, and I recall one person in the mix wasn't that high on him, and me and @KDawg in particular defended Helaire.  It's all cool and we are all right and wrong about different players and I enjoy a good debate.  And heck its just the beginning for Helaire so we will see. 

I wasn’t high on him, but I’m not entirely convinced that McFarland couldn’t have shown what CEH did in this half ... though I’m so partial to DMV prospects that it’s nearly impossible for me to distinguish what’s real from what’s hometown pride. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

OL, DL, DBs are the most influential non QBs imo. We have the DL, let’s load up on the Oline in what looks to be a great draft, and find ourselves more help for our young QB.

Agree.  Forgot which ex-head coach said it but one once said its tough to be a good team when you have a bad O line.  I pretty much agree.  O line to me is the code red position on this team IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I really liked Amik Robertson and L’Jarius Sneed as well out of Louisiana Tech. It’s cool to see Sneed holding up pretty well out there. 

I remember bringing each of them to the draft thread, what a time for La Tech. Not unlike when they sent Dooley to Tennessee.

Tangentially, what a rivalry they used to have with USC in women’s basketball.

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we draft high enough to get Sewell and Dwayne actually plays well... that's one of the most depressing outcomes for me.  It would mean we are so far away that a good QB can't even get us wins.

Yeah this is why I find it hard to believe we'll be in a position to get Sewell and have Haskins take a leap forward. Our D is looking to be potentially very good so that and even a mediocre offense with Haskins playing mediocre ball would probably mean 5 wins and being out of the top 3. I'd love to get Sewell but I'd settle for Parsons or Chase in the top 10, especially if it meant Haskins looked promising. 

Not sure we'll be bad enough for Sewell. He's definitely #1 on my want list in the 2021 draft. #2 is quite easily Ja'Marr Chase, but the only way we're getting him is if we're worse than the Bengals. I can guarantee you that they will draft him if he's available. Ja'Marr Chase and Terry McLaurin would be such a good WR duo. There won't be any complaints of Dwayne not having weapons with McLaurin, Chase, Gibson, and Sims. That's a lot of dangerous players for a defense to account for. 

After that, for me at least there's a big drop off. I love Micah Parsons, but I don't think drafting him makes the team much better. We need to address the offense now. 

Archived