Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Man, I still got a lot more to watch, but  while Ja’Marr Chase is a beast with more athletic upside, I think Rashod Bateman has more NFL polish and I prefer him in my Tier 1 WR rankings so far. He’s got a false step coming out of his stance he’s got to clean up, but his plan of attack play to play is visible and highly effective. He’s strong with his hands, both with contested catches and fending off press coverage. He attacks leverages and gets his man to commit with little to no wasted motion in or out of his breaks. He doesn’t take plays off and runs his routes whether it’s coming to him or not and even if it’s a run play. It’s his attention to detail and constructive aggression and work ethic that has me feeling pretty good about handling the jump to tougher competition and being NFL ready coming out of the draft. 

I really like this WR class. It’s got better potential for X receivers than last year which had more talent concentrated in the slot position in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Theoretically, but if Lawrence and Fields go 1 and 2, and we're at 3, is there a QB worthy of that pick ?

Also, it seems possible that we pick Top 3 again, not due to our record, but due to the lack of a season.

If we get bad QB play and finish top three then we absolutely have to move up for one of the top 2. Also, you're also assuming whomever finishes worse than us will also need a QB. Lastly, if there is no season then yes, Jamarr or Sewell is the choice but I can't see it being something as simple as let's just repeat how teams finish last year to carry over. My guess is if it ever got to that point (which it won't), there will be some sort of a lotto system for the draft similar to how they do it in NBA and NHL. 

I would be absolutely shocked if there is no season. Even a shortened one could start in November if needed. You’re looking 5 months from now. If things have gotten so bad that 5 months from now no games can be played then frankly draft and draft order are the absolute least of our concerns.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

If we get bad QB play and finish top three then we absolutely have to move up for one of the top 2. Also, you're also assuming whomever finishes worse than us will also need a QB. Lastly, if there is no season then yes, Jamarr or Sewell is the choice but I can't see it being something as simple as let's just repeat how teams finish last year to carry over. My guess is if it ever got to that point (which it won't), there will be some sort of a lotto system for the draft similar to how they do it in NBA and NHL. 

No need to trade up. Trey Lance from North Dakota State is legit, hopefully Haskins is the answer though. 

2019 Highlights

PASSING
TEAM
GP
COMP
ATT
PCT
ATT/G
YDS
YDS/ATT
YDS/G
TD
INT
LNG
SCK
SCK YDS
QBR
2018 NDSU 2 1 1 100.0% 0.5 12 12.0 6.0 0 0 12 0 0 200.8
2019 NDSU 16 192 287 66.9% 17.9 2786 9.7 174.1 28 0 88 11 20 180.6

RUSHING
TEAM
GP
ATT
ATT/G
YDS
AVG
YDS/G
TD
LNG
100+
2019 NDSU 16 169 10.6 1100 6.5 68.8 14 61 2
2018 NDSU 2 8 4.0 82 10.3 41.0 2 44

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I would be absolutely shocked if there is no season. Even a shortened one could start in November if needed. You’re looking 5 months from now. If things have gotten so bad that 5 months from now no games can be played then frankly draft and draft order are the absolute least of our concerns.

If things stay about the same as they are now, then yes, that's probably the case.

But it's conceivable that multiple factors could drastically change between now and the fall.

9 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Wait, has anyone confirmed draft order if there is no season?

I'm assuming it's something they're probably throwing around ideas for behind closed doors now as a contingency plan. I have a hard time seeing them just re-doing the draft order from this season. If I had to guess I'd say it would be some sort of weighted lottery that took into account the past season's record, schedule difficulty, etc. 

On 6/21/2020 at 12:25 AM, mistertim said:

I'm assuming it's something they're probably throwing around ideas for behind closed doors now as a contingency plan. I have a hard time seeing them just re-doing the draft order from this season. If I had to guess I'd say it would be some sort of weighted lottery that took into account the past season's record, schedule difficulty, etc. 

This is the most interesting problem to solve if the season is cancelled, IMO. Knowing the Redskins luck, they'll get screwed lol. 

2 minutes ago, Bantu said:

This is the most interesting problem to solve if the season is cancelled, IMO. Knowing the Redskins luck, they'll get screwed lol. 

Yeah we'd be weighted heavily as the second worst 2019 team, but we'll somehow get the 32nd pick.    :ols:

On 6/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Theoretically, but if Lawrence and Fields go 1 and 2, and we're at 3, is there a QB worthy of that pick ?

Also, it seems possible that we pick Top 3 again, not due to our record, but due to the lack of a season.

Trey Lance probably belongs in the conversation. But the fascinating thing to me is ... outside of the Top 5 or Top 10 there is a TON of uncertainty with the players in a 2021 draft if there is no NCAA or NFL season. And mixed into that fact you have a lot of teams picking in the Top 10 that just drafted their franchise QB, you have two scenarios. One is that teams outside the Top 10 get aggressive and move into the Top 10, or the QBs fall because teams want to stay where they are and take the talent they trust rather than trade back and throw darts at the wall. My assumption is teams can come up into the Top 5 or 7 IF they give up future assets, not capital in this draft. Or a team gives up their entire draft to move up (eliminating the risk of unknown players in the later rounds) to go up to get the 1 guy. Here's your top 12.

Of course all the mock drafts out right now are based on projected standings for 2020, not the results of 2019. But here's a flavor of what your Top picks could look like without a 2020 season at either level.

*Trade 1* CIN trades 1.1 to Detroit for 1.3 and a 2022 1st

1. Detroit - Trevor Lawrence, QB Clemson

2. Washington - Penei Sewell, OT Oregon

3. Cincinnati - Jamarr Chase, WR LSU

*Trade* Las Vegas trade 1.12, 2.12 and a 2022 1st to NYG for 1.4

4. Las Vegas - Justin Fields, QB Ohio State

5. Miami - Jaylen Waddle, WR Alabama (probably the first "reach") aka guys that are projected but don't have the tape

6. LA Chargers - Shaun Wade, CB Ohio State

7. Carolina - Trey Lance, QB NDSU

8. Arizona - Patrick Surtain, CB Alabama

9. Jacksonville - Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama

10. Cleveland - Davonte* Smith, WR Alabama

11. NY Jets - Greg Rosseau, Edge Miami

12. NY Giants - Rondale Moore, WR Purdue

And ... if there is no 2020 season a team like Washington could make out with a steal if a player with medical concerns like Dylan Moses falls. I could see him falling to the 2nd where we could snap him up. Of course you assume there are some medical checks, combines, etc. that go into this hypothetical draft. Also, it's a loaded WR class on paper, so going OT at #2 and coming back to WR at #34 would make sense too. Some good players with ? will fall if there is no 2020 season. I wonder if someone like Jaylen Waddle goes TOp 5 based on talent or falls to Round 2 because there just isn't enough tape.

I really enjoy watching Tylan Wallace work. He’s not the biggest or a straight up burner but he’s fast enough and his breaks are so crisp in and out of his routes and his hands and concentration are nice. The guy has plenty of traits that translate to the NFL if he recovers well from his ACL injury. Great with contested catches, hand work and stiff arm are definite plus traits and his head fakes marry up really well with his feet and he’s got great hips. Dudes aggressive as well, when the ball is in his hands. His run blocking sucks though and he’ll have to give more effort and refine that ****. I also need to see more of how he handles press. He can release really well, but he needs to be more consistent with all the great, different things he can do. 

Him and Rashod Bateman are some of my favorite wide receivers so far. Although Tylan is more of a tier 2 guy who is best suited as a slot on the next level. 

On 6/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

*Trade 1* CIN trades 1.1 to Detroit for 1.3 and a 2022 1st

1. Detroit - Trevor Lawrence, QB Clemson

2. Washington - Penei Sewell, OT Oregon

3. Cincinnati - Jamarr Chase, WR LSU

*Trade* Las Vegas trade 1.12, 2.12 and a 2022 1st to NYG for 1.4

4. Las Vegas - Justin Fields, QB Ohio State

5. Miami - Jaylen Waddle, WR Alabama (probably the first "reach") aka guys that are projected but don't have the tape

6. LA Chargers - Shaun Wade, CB Ohio State

7. Carolina - Trey Lance, QB NDSU

8. Arizona - Patrick Surtain, CB Alabama

9. Jacksonville - Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama

10. Cleveland - Davonte* Smith, WR Alabama

11. NY Jets - Greg Rosseau, Edge Miami

12. NY Giants - Rondale Moore, WR Purdue

Love Rondale Moore that high. Hate him going to the Giants!

Where is Micah Parsons? While I’m resigning myself to an offensive player in 2021, Micah Parsons might be my second favorite player in the draft, behind Sewell. Below are his highlights from his most recent game. He was defensive MVP of the Cotton Bowl, after posting 14 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 passes defenses. It’s a real showcase of his abilities. Great instincts. Great timing, feel and acceleration when blitzing. Great in pass coverage. I think that on our JDR/Rivera offense, behind our DL, he’s a day 1 pro bowler. 

Thoughts on Andre Cisco? The Sporting News has him ranked as their 20th best player in next year’s draft. Looks like he has a great feel for the ball, very good hands, adequate size and athleticism and is relatively physical. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/nfl-draft-prospects-2021-big-board-top-players-rankings/847xhlvbact4127t9bz4vajv5

“20. Andre Cisco*, S, Syracuse 

In two seasons, Cisco has compiled 12 interceptions and 14 pass breakups for the Orange, and he averages more than 40 tackles per season. At 6-0, 203 pounds, he has the range to be an immediate impact player at the next level“

I’ve heard a lot of great things about Cisko and have him in my top 3 of my list of safety prospects to watch along with Jevon Holland and Ar’Darius Washington. I’m still working through other positions though and haven’t gotten to him yet. 

Man, Rondale Moore is amazing and I could see Scott Turner wanting him as his version of CMC if we hadn’t already taken Gibson this year. I love his play strength and elite level explosion in and out of his breaks. As far as smallish gadget guys there is a huge gap between him and Tutu Atwell. RM is truly special and so much fun to watch, I just hope he can stay healthy. 

That's always going to be the concern with Moore given his size.  He's the most interesting and gifted slot and backfield receiver weapon in the class, and you're right that the play strength and contact balance are sensational for how little he is.  But I worry about spending high draft picks on tiny receivers, particularly ones who spend so much time in the middle of the field.  I need to see him having that spider sense for avoiding the big hit like McCaffrey has, and I'm not sure that I've seen it yet with Moore.  I didn't love Marquie Brown as a first round prospect because of the same concern about his size, and he was primarily an outside guy playing away from safeties whose game was built around long speed.  My concern is even larger for Moore.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:15 AM, Anselmheifer said:

Where is Micah Parsons? While I’m resigning myself to an offensive player in 2021, Micah Parsons might be my second favorite player in the draft, behind Sewell.

He is so special.  I love watching him too, and he would be an amazing fit here.  Kind of like our Luke Kuechly.  I have no doubt that drafting him would be one of our best outcomes in the first round, even this far out.

But I'm kind of hoping for a corner to be BPA in the first.  That's the position group that stresses me out when I think about next season.  I still have a lot of work to do since I've only seen enough of Surtain and Wade to form takes.  I don't really know what's out there yet, thus I'm really hoping we get the virus under control so we can have a college season.  I need to see a year from Caleb Farley and the top Pac 12 DBs as I'm not sold on Molden, Adebo, or Graham yet.  And I just haven't seen enough of the two South Carolina CBs either to know if the hype is justified or not.  I also really want to see if all of those sophomore DBs that Texas and USC have make leaps this season.  If everything goes well, this could end up being a pretty good CB class too.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He is so special.  I love watching him too, and he would be an amazing fit here.  Kind of like our Luke Kuechly.  I have no doubt that drafting him would be one of our best outcomes in the first round, even this far out.

But I'm kind of hoping for a corner to be BPA in the first.  That's the position group that stresses me out when I think about next season.  I still have a lot of work to do since I've only seen enough of Surtain and Wade to form takes.  I don't really know what's out there yet, thus I'm really hoping we get the virus under control so we can have a college season.  I need to see a year from Caleb Farley and the top Pac 12 DBs as I'm not sold on Molden, Adebo, or Graham yet.  And I just haven't seen enough of the two South Carolina CBs either to know if the hype is justified or not.  I also really want to see if all of those sophomore DBs that Texas and USC have make leaps this season.  If everything goes well, this could end up being a pretty good CB class too.

I agree that we need a CB more.  Not only that, but the positional value is better at CB than LB.  I just don’t see next year as a top CB year. If we are picking in the top 10, Parsons is a steal and I’m not sure there will be a CB Is feel the same about. 

Wade could change that with a good season, but he’s only played 90 snaps outside during his entire career. Surtain isn’t the loose hipped twitchy CB that I’d like in the top 10. I’d jump all over an a Jeff Okudah caliber prospect in next year’s draft, but I don’t think that guy exists. 

I also agree about Parsons being our Kuechly. He’s so instinctive. When you watch an entire game, he’s always around the ball. He can get engulfed a little bit, so he’s not ideal for stack and shed, but he’s so quick/explosive that that doesn’t happen often. He’s great in pursuit. Fantastic as a blitzer. Great in coverage. My only real criticism is that he’s not a violent/intimidating hitter, but those guys seem to get hurt more. I think Parsons is a near immediate all pro for us if we draft him and he’s playing behind our DL in a JDR defense. And if you pair him with Holcomb, our team speed would be ridiculous. We would be so much better against TE’s, mobile QB’s and receiving RB’s. Imagine having a LB who could carry Saquon down the field...

I honestly expect to be disappointed because I think we will be looking at TE, OT and WR, as we usually draft for need. Maybe that wouldn’t even be so bad. Fielding an offense that is actually good at putting up points would help our defense immensely. Imagine this DL playing for Dallas or the Chiefs. Pass rush all day. 

McQueen, what’s your current ranking of the OT’s? I don’t see a lot of people bring up leatherwood. 

Archived