Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Exactly! That's the entire reason you posted things from January and February. 

I don't think he was pointing out MISTAKES...he was demonstrating to the other poster that the "guidance" hasn't been consistent since the "beginning of the year" at all. So, what guidance was I to take in say, mid-February, that would have all states ready to re-open by now? That's the point in the quoted post that he was refuting. 

You’re comparing people who worked with the best info at the time, and changed course within reasonable time of the best info changing, to people who didn’t do that. 

following the advice released in mid March would have been adequate. There would have been some unfortunate deaths but we would have had much less. I would argue the economic damage would be significantly less as well, but since I don’t have a time machine or parallel universe to work with that would be pointless to argue. 

complaining that people didn’t follow advice before it was released and wondering how they could have done better seems like a dumb exercise. 

shutdown and social distancing in December 2019 would have been best. Don’t think it was recommended till mid March 2020. Do no I’m not going to hold decision makers accountable for not making up their own advice related to a field they don’t understand from December 2019-March 2020. 

not sure why others want to. Not sure why it’s so hard to just work within the constraints of reality. 

(I still feel like deblasio was within a reasonable time but maybe I’m wrong about that. I’m not sure what we can agree is reasonable. I just know if it was after March it’s completely unreasonable. Which specific week in March that starts I’m flexible on)

Edited by tshile

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Exactly! That's the entire reason you posted things from January and February. 

I don't think he was pointing out MISTAKES...he was demonstrating to the other poster that the "guidance" hasn't been consistent since the "beginning of the year" at all. So, what guidance was I to take in say, mid-February, that would have all states ready to re-open by now? That's the point in the quoted post that he was refuting. 

To be fair, I did use the word mistake in one of my posts. But yes, that is basically what I was saying or trying to say referring to your "guidance" comment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

You’re comparing people who worked with the best info at the time, and changed course within reasonable time of the best info changing, to people who didn’t do that. 

following the advice released in mid March would have been adequate. There would have been some unfortunate deaths but we would have had much less. I would argue the economic damage would be significantly less as well, but since I don’t have a time machine or parallel universe to work with that would be pointless to argue. 

complaining that people didn’t follow advice before it was released and wondering how they could have done better seems like a dumb exercise. 

shutdown and social distancing in December 2019 would have been best. Don’t think it was recommended till mid March 2020. Do no I’m not going to hold decision makers accountable for not making up their own advice related to a field they don’t understand from December 2019-March 2020. 

not sure why others want to. Not sure why it’s so hard to just work within the constraints of reality. 

(I still feel like deblasio was within a reasonable time but maybe I’m wrong about that. I’m not sure what we can agree is reasonable. I just know if it was after March it’s completely unreasonable. Which specific week in March that starts I’m flexible on)

I'm glad you said that...that's exactly what the post stated that @Yohan was disagreeing with!

39 minutes ago, tshile said:

I feel like that doesn’t mean anything though?

tests were prioritized and as of a week or two still required doctors orders. Are they now open for all? Seems like that rate dropping should mean nothing more than we already prioritized the people likely with it and now everyone else is getting it?

sorry just trying to understand the numbers. 

34 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I could be wrong, but it seems like we’re casting a broader net and therefore catching more fish, but we’re not sure if there are more or less fish in the pond to potentially catch than there were before.

Yea, I think it's both.  So, my post above was specifically referring to Ransom noting that we had the most positive tests ever yesterday, which is true and sounds really bad.  But context is important (turns out epidemiology is hard, lol).  If you test triple the amount of people as you were testing 2 weeks ago, of course you are going to get a higher raw number of infected people.

So where we are now, if they can keep testing as the recent higher rates, is we'll be able to get a better handle on who is actually infected, and hopefully catch a lot of people early, before they become symptomatic and before they can spread it around a lot more.  So to tshile, yes, the rate dropping is probably largely a function of being able to test asymptomatic people, but that is a huge step in the direction we need to be heading (and should have been at literally 6 weeks ago).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm glad you said that...that's exactly what the post stated that @Yohan was disagreeing with!

That person made a generic comment about following advice from the start of the year, then blaming trump for his constant speaking against advice. 

and then yohan came in and mentioned pelosi (who happened well before advice changed) and deblasio (who happened shortly after advice changed), as reasons to share blame with a person that been constantly and repeatedly against the experts the entire time. 

I stand by my earlier post. This is a dumb conversation. If you can’t see the difference between decision makers wrestling with a new, important issue and adjust as the experts release new info/guidance, and someone who behaves how trump has then idk what to tell you. 

Edited by tshile

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So to tshile, yes, the rate dropping is probably largely a function of being able to test asymptomatic people, but that is a huge step in the direction we need to be heading (and should have been at literally 6 weeks ago).  

Ok. We’re on the same page then. 

I couldn’t figure out where you were going with it at first. There’s been a lot of “that’s because there’s more testing” comments and some are valid and some are bogus and it’s hard to keep track sometimes. 

my personal point is 3 weeks after reopening. We’re starting week 2. So end of three weeks I think it’ll be obvious whether reopening was ok or not (I say this as a person with no understanding of epidemiology and if my phone didn’t auto correct i wouldn’t be able to spell it)

• Like 3

This whole conversation is based on a semantic choice by another poster who mostly hasn't been part of it.  (it seems kind of obvious that the original post was speaking in a general way about the start of the year in relation to doing something when we knew Covid was a threat. And then this was used to take shots at prominent Democrats to 'both sides it' when it doesn't really make sense to do so in this case. 

Yes some Dems have not been as good as others on this, and some Republicans have been better and there are probably faults with every state's plans, but right wing media and Trump and some Republican governors have gone far and beyond all this constantly to make things much worse and undermine the efforts to keep people safe.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Pelosi mention was a twitter trash drive-by.  Nothing more or less, and it completely dissolved any point he was trying to make.

Pelosi encouraging her constituents to ignore right-wing yellow peril bull**** was the right thing to do.  Then, now and forever.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

This whole conversation is based on a semantic choice by another poster who mostly hasn't been part of it.  (it seems kind of obvious that the original post was speaking in a general way about the start of the year in relation to doing something when we knew Covid was a threat. And then this was used to take shots at prominent Democrats.

Not the intention.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

my personal point is 3 weeks after reopening. We’re starting week 2. So end of three weeks I think it’ll be obvious whether reopening was ok or not (I say this as a person with no understanding of epidemiology and if my phone didn’t auto correct i wouldn’t be able to spell it)

Yea, this is what people need to start really thinking about, if they haven’t already. The fact that Northam is letting certain places reopen is going to have zero impact on my behavior. I’m not going shopping at a ****ing retail store, not a ****ing chance. I’ve been getting takeout from (nice) restaurants for 2 months, but no way am I going to go sit down at one. Hair salons?  My long, luxurious locks are a testament to my social distancing and I wear them like a badge of honor. 

The big decision i have to make is when to send the kids back to daycare. Looking like mid-June for the 4 year old is the best case scenario and we plan on keeping the baby at home until things are 100% cool. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, this is what people need to start really thinking about, if they haven’t already. The fact that Northam is letting certain places reopen is going to have zero impact on my behavior. I’m not going shopping at a ****ing retail store, not a ****ing chance. I’ve been getting takeout from (nice) restaurants for 2 months, but no way am I going to go sit down at one. Hair salons?  My long, luxurious locks are a testament to my social distancing and I wear them like a badge of honor. 

The big decision i have to make is when to send the kids back to daycare. Looking like mid-June for the 4 year old is the best case scenario and we plan on keeping the baby at home until things are 100% cool. 

This is literally the world I live in

except my hair looks like someone took a mop off a stick and stuck it on my head

we’ve just recently started ordering food again but only twice so far. 

im saving an assload of money it’s unreal how much we don’t spend when we stay home

i will pay for it via medical bills to whoever has to fix me after spending my entire life surrounded by a infant and a 4 year old winch mid March. It’s maddening. 

what I secretly hope is that I can take a test that says I already got it (my family) so kids can go back to daycare and I can either work from home or office, no one else (around me) has had it so they have to stay home. I’d have the run of the house and/or office. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, tshile said:

@TryTheBeal! that was the nicest thing you’ve ever said about me

@Yohan I never apologized for calling you a trump supporter (I can’t even remember if I did it directly or indirectly. ) I was wrong about that part and you were right to fire back on that one. Sorry about that.

@tshile That’s pretty stand up of you. I did take that way, and if I was wrong on that assumption, then I also apologize. I do know better then to have any slight defense of Trump and any slight dislike of the other side, that it will rub some (a lot) of people the wrong way. 

Here in my city, we have had a 26% increase In cases since Friday and restaurants and bars were given the okay to open today. So I have that going for me.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I do know better then to have any slight defense of Trump and any slight dislike of the other side, that it will rub some (a lot) of people the wrong way. 

Saying things like this definitely doesn't help.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I feel like that doesn’t mean anything though?

tests were prioritized and as of a week or two still required doctors orders. Are they now open for all? Seems like that rate dropping should mean nothing more than we already prioritized the people likely with it and now everyone else is getting it?

sorry just trying to understand the numbers. 

Agree that more tests ought to result in a lower positive rate.  (Unless the tests you were administering were grossly below the number required.)  

If the doctor only has 10 tests, he's going to give them to the people he's certain are positive.  (Or almost certain.)  

If he's got 100 tests, he'll give them to people who are a lot more "maybe".