Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Well, i mean, maybe that’s why so many places are decriminalizing marijuana.... keep your brain off the ball...

Of course. Because entertainment, TV, phones, social media, retail therapy, alcohol, comfort foods (Fats, sugars), booze, sports, thrill seeking, gambling, sex, keeping busy.... and any of the other tens of thousands of distractions and numbing options aren’t working.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Of course. Because entertainment, TV, phones, social media, retail therapy, alcohol, comfort foods (Fats, sugars), booze, sports, thrill seeking, gambling, sex, keeping busy.... and any of the other tens of thousands of distractions and numbing options aren’t working.

perhaps...

13 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

But if we were all 100% sure about everything, there wouldn’t really be much need fora chat board, would there?

No one is absolutely 100% of anything. That doesn’t stop people from identifying (attaching) to their thoughts and opinions 100%.

It’s part of our ego’s identity.

At a base level... there really isn’t truly a need to a message board to share our opinions. Agree or disagree. Who cares?

Especially considering we are all infinitely more than our thoughts. And connecting at the level of our thoughts is very superficial (and fleeting). Which is why we coming back to this same place, talking with the same people. Just to get a little hit.

But it does feed our need for significance. So here we are... on the soap box.... sharing our unique, intellectual, experiential, evidence-based thoughts, beliefs, opinions and judgments. Hoping others will validate/confirm them.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

Your #6 is bizarre and perpetuates a dumb myth that Dems don’t want a prepared military. No one is coming after the US during a world pandemic for multiple reasons but starting with the fact the world is dealing with this. Seriously, who would try to pick a fight with the US now?

Since everyone is dealing with it, noone. Our enemies our paying attention and will learn how to attack the U.S. in the future.

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Since everyone is dealing with it, noone. Our enemies our paying attention and will learn how to attack the U.S. in the future.

Not to be flip, but I suspect it was known before.

I also suspect that no one wants to be complicit in that type of warfare since containment to one target is a highly unlikely option.

Edit..Attack the US this way and you infect Europe, Africa, and Asia within weeks. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

39 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Keeping one that involves doing none of the things that make life worth living...

“Things that make life worth living”.  

Whose perspective shall we take? Whose is most important?

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

“Things that make life worth living”.  

Whose perspective shall we take? Whose is most important?

certainly not being able to see grandkids or go on a family vacation or go to your favorite sporting event is a real consideration.  The older you are the fewer chances you have to do these things before you die, virus or not.

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

certainly not being able to see grandkids or go on a family vacation or go to your favorite sporting event is a real consideration.  The older you are the fewer chances you have to do these things before you die, virus or not.

Yeah, I realize that social contact may endanger hundreds of people.  But going to Disney and standing in a line with 200 people for an hour so I can get in a ride that somebody else was sitting in 30 seconds ago is really important to me.  So society should just ignore the fact that my preferred recreation would endanger hundreds of people, because I used a snowflake expression "makes life worth living".  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Now, think of ALL the **** you HATE doing..... that you don’t have to do right now. All gone. Now what’s left?

If you don’t like your reflection.... that’s the deeper issue.

You know what this virus has really shown us? What’s truly important in the world. How much can be taken away..... and yet we can still be incredibly grateful for all the abundance that’s still in our lives.

My connection to my loved ones isn’t diminished by not being in their physical presence for a few months.

• Like 3

We can do a lot to protect ourselves. Requirements for masks and temperature seem reasonable to me.  But when things are shut down, days - and memories are being taken away, and we all have limited days. Shutting down for 18 months is taking a lot of days. (I’m not saying you are for that)... 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

21 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Not to be flip, but I suspect it was known before.

I also suspect that no one wants to be complicit in that type of warfare since containment to one target is a highly unlikely option.

Edit..Attack the US this way and you infect Europe, Africa, and Asia within weeks. 

The attack doesn't have to be biological. You are watching how the U.S. is responding and see the weak points. 

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

We can do a lot to protect ourselves. Requirements for masks and temperature seem reasonable to me.  But when things are shut down days -and memories are being taken away, and we all have limited days. Shutting down for 18 months is taking a lot of days. (I’m not saying you are for that)... 

No memories are being taken away (from some outside source). You have a belief that going to a new physical location is a necessary component to having a memorable experience. Which is just a limiting/disempowering pre-requisite (rules/conditions).

You are creating memories right now. And their only limited to your imagination. No such thing as ‘ordinary moments’, only people that are willing to tolerate ‘ordinary’ moments.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

We can do a lot to protect ourselves. Requirements for masks and temperature seem reasonable to me. 

A significant portion of the folks hellbent on re-opening immediately believe requiring anything is an infringement on their freedom and that they know best what to do and not to do.  The president won't be caught dead wearing a mask anywhere nor will he even begin to convey that his loyal followers wear one.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A significant portion of the folks hellbent on re-opening immediately believe requiring anything is an infringement on their freedom and that they know best what to do and not to do.  The president won't be caught dead wearing a mask anywhere nor will he even begin to convey that his loyal followers wear one.  

all you have to do is pay attention to the news and you’ll see exactly who these “the economy must reopen”/“can’t stay closed forever” people are, and how they behave. 

at this point the only people that seem to take social precautions seriously are the ones that don’t want things to reopen right now or don’t think we’re ready for it. 

if you think we’re ready to reopen last week or this week or next week then you either don’t understand the issue or you’re not paying attention to general public behavior (and all the news surrounding it). I suppose both could be the issue. 

at this point, for me, going out in public is akin to driving after it snows around here: I’m not worried about me or my ability to drive in snow, it’s other people who have no business being out crashing into me that I’m concerned about. 

• Like 6

Just now, tshile said:

if you think we’re ready to reopen last week or this week or next week then you either don’t understand the issue or you’re not paying attention to general public behavior (and all the news surrounding it). I suppose both could be the issue. 

For me at least, my thought that the economy can't stay closed for much longer is related to the administration and the fact that they have 0 interest in handing out more money to keep people and business afloat.  It's clear that their goal is to pretend that all is swell, under control and that they've flipped the economy light switch on.  

• Like 1