Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Greg Olsen potentially signing here? (M.E.T.)

bakedtater1

10 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's more money than I thought he'd get.  This free agent period is going to be sticker shock with how much guys are getting.

It's going to be worse than usual. From now until the end of the first week of the free agency period, a high majority of these players will not live up to the contracts they get, yet owners keep throwing big money at these guys.  I'd be okay with waiting until April to start making moves.  

Problem is no TE is going to want to come and play for skins with a limited qb and few o weapons. I highly doubt skins can land hooper but hopeful.  What’s interesting is that Seattle has 2 pretty good tes already and still felt the need to land Olsen. Tells you how important te are in today’s nfl. 

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

It's going to be worse than usual. From now until the end of the first week of the free agency period, a high majority of these players will not live up to the contracts they get, yet owners keep throwing big money at these guys.  I'd be okay with waiting until April to start making moves.  

We'd have to move quickly to get a quality starting CB.  That's going to take money no matter what.  We do have cap space, and if we wait until April, we probably won't get anybody who is starting caliber at TE, CB, or Safety.

13 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Problem is no TE is going to want to come and play for skins with a limited qb and few o weapons. I highly doubt skins can land hooper but hopeful.  What’s interesting is that Seattle has 2 pretty good tes already and still felt the need to land Olsen. Tells you how important te are in today’s nfl. 

Seattle has no TE’s. Their starter has missed the past two seasons with severe injuries. 

8 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Seattle has no TE’s. Their starter has missed the past two seasons with severe injuries. 

And the other guy who replaced the starter in Seattle is a free agent I believe and is supposedly on the Skins radar. We'll get a TE, I have no doubt that RR and Turner will make that a priority either through the draft or in free agency. 

32 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

We'd have to move quickly to get a quality starting CB.  That's going to take money no matter what.  We do have cap space, and if we wait until April, we probably won't get anybody who is starting caliber at TE, CB, or Safety.

Bradberry intrigues me bc of his success under Rivera, and his success on the left side and dunbars success on the right side ( or vice versa, and this is assuming Dunbar stays long term). Bradberrys relatively short resume maybe brings his price tag down from insane level just to a little ridiculous but not crippling level.  That's probably the best we can hope for for a March signing of a quality player.  Nobody is getting a bargain in march, and even living up to the contract is not likely.

And I'm hoping Tre Boston sits on the free agent market like he has in the past.  It seems like teams are shying away from him for whatever reason, but he has shown success under Rivera and is a great complement to LC.   

But hopefully the fact that the Redskins didn't go overboard with the Olsen offer is a sign that they will have a controlled approach in free agency.  This is assuming that the Redskins were outbid and it wasn't just Olsen wanting to go to a team that he perceived has a better shot at a title.

4 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Dissly and hollister both played well for them and miles better than anything skins had. 

Dissly is a 4th round draft choice who has managed to stay healthy for 10 games and 30 catches in his first two years. Hollister is a journeyman who exploded for a career year of 41 catches at 8.5 ypc. 

The phrase "pretty good" is fairly meaningless. But even so, you seem to be abusing it. 

6 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Dissly is a 4th round draft choice who has managed to stay healthy for 10 games and 30 catches in his first two years. Hollister is a journeyman who exploded for a career year of 41 catches at 8.5 ypc. 

The phrase "pretty good" is fairly meaningless. But even so, you seem to be abusing it. 

What’s your point? Maybe we have a different understanding of what pretty good is in American football. Dissly  was a stud when on the field. Why does it matter what rd he got drafted in? Hollister had a very good year as well. Olsen is an over the hill frequently inj player so not sure Seattle is gaining much other then hoping at least one stays healthy. 

3 minutes ago, oraphus said:

What’s your point? Maybe we have a different understanding of what pretty good is in American football. Dissly  was a stud when on the field. Why does it matter what rd he got drafted in? Hollister had a very good year as well. Olsen is an over the hill frequently inj player so not sure Seattle is gaining much other then hoping at least one stays healthy. 

What do you say when you get 3 catches a game while being healthy enough to participate in less than 1/3 of the games you're eligible for?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

Problem is that Dissly was barely on the field the past two years with horrible career threatening injuries. Additionally, he rarely caught many passes. They just happened to be in the endzone, because Russell Wilson. Hollister is a jag. 

I would have liked an Olsen signing, but am not really upset with him going elsewhere. At his stage, it makes more sense for him to sign with a contender.

Warning: The paragraph below is overly rosey and looking at a what if where things work out. Cynics should stop reading here.

I do think that the Redskins are a lot more interesting weapon-wise than their rep would lead people to believe. Simms is a playmaker who really improved. McLauren looks to be exceptional. Adrian Peterson is still pretty good. Now, I'd agree with people who say that this team's weapons are still more about potential than certainty, but I actually like a lot of the pieces we saw on the field last year. Besides, if Haskins, McLauren, Simms, Harmon, Guice, and Love all wound up becoming a productive corp... we'd be in for a really great ride. This team (minus tight end and questions on the o line) looks to be set up if we have the right coaches and play callers to back them.

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's more money than I thought he'd get.  This free agent period is going to be sticker shock with how much guys are getting.

Almost certainly true. But I'd rather the team spend a few extra million for a guy like Henry or Hooper. Even if Olsen stays healthy and productive in 2020 (big ifs, IMO), he's probably gone in 2021. So hopefully this helps the Skins achieve that.

21 hours ago, redrobert said:

Okay then, put this one to bed. Rather go with a younger guy myself.

Anybody got any faith in Sprinkle?

Ya, what he said. Get a young hungry guy.  Olsen is a walking injury candidate as he has missed 18 games the last 3 years. Can't believe there was that much interest in him on this board. Some people never learn. 

Archived