Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

ExoDus84

19 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

81 rightfully gets a ton of attention, but outscoring the Dallas Mavericks by himself through 3 quarters is right up there in terms of craziness

To reiterate, he outscored the whole Mavericks team 62-61!!

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Was very shocked and sad to learn this news earlier this afternoon.  Wasn't a Lakers fan back in the day but definitely could appreciate how he played the game.  Kinda transcended how I felt about the Lakers...when you see a guy like that have a career like that...it just doesn't matter.  He earned everyone's respect and everyone appreciated him no matter how you felt about the Lakers, he transcended the game.  IMO, Derek Jeter was like that.  Tom Brady is like that.  Michael Jordan was like that.  You don't have to like their teams to understand how much they mean to their sport and to the world.

Very, very sad.  RIP Mamba.  

• Like 5

I don’t want to make this about myself, so please don’t take this the wrong way...

A few years back, I was lucky enough to share the stage with Judas Priest at the Whiskey in LA.  I could’ve worn anything in my closet, including several Judas Priest shirts...I wore my Kobe jersey.

Not quite 81 points, but I gave it a go.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

There was an interview he did in the early 00s in which he was asked about getting married so young. He says something along of the lines of he does everything young. Enters the draft young, won titles young, got married young and almost scoffs and says he would retire young too. 

I mean just...damn. I’ve been thinking about it all day 

• Sad 3

On this episode of On Purpose, I sat down with Kobe Bryant. Kobe is a five-time NBA Champion, two-time Olympic Gold Medalist and Oscar winner. Kobe created Granity Studios: where his new role consist of being a producer, storyteller and writer. 

Here’s a snippet of the brilliance you’ll witness … Kobe:  “Now it's different because it's not about the awards, you just wind up trying to create something that's going to inspire someone, that hopefully through that inspiration they can inspire someone else. What I've come to learn as my career went on, that's more significant than any championship."

I’m going to go ahead and address this because I’m sure it will come up soon and it was hinted at earlier. 

Kobe was not perfect. I don’t think anybody has anointed him a saint. But I don’t think it’s fair to just call him a rapist and that’s from somebody that is a huge me-too supporter that always believes the woman. And I believe the woman in this instance too. 

I think there are monumental differences in blatant sexual assault or malicious, and calculated rape and this scenario.

0A16F987-1DE3-43AD-A143-FFB9E3AE4161.thumb.jpeg.2501ab9fcf4f3bf31c52eb340d2b5ae2.jpeg

This is a moment to realize the inherent advantages a man has in this position. The pressure, intimidation that a man can so easily and without awareness utilize that puts one party in a position of power and the other in a position of vulnerability. No, it isn’t right. Not in the slightest. Neither instance is right. But as a society, we should strive to understand the nuance and differences in order to give those that can learn the negative consequences their actions have on others, the opportunity to do so. The awareness of these type of scenarios has been a large, positive impact of the me-too movement imo. 

now, based on the the rest of Kobe’s life and his actions, I’m inclined to believe him as this seems out of line with the rest of his actions. He seems to have grown and learned from this experience and, as he got older and had more daughters that grew up, he’s become fairly outspoken on women’s rights, equality and even advocating for and assisting the legitimacy of women’s sports. In no way am I praising him for those actions in CO, best case scenario, he cheated on his wife and ruined this woman’s life. And he accepted that responsibility. That mistake and what he put this woman through should be part of his legacy as much as anything he did on the court, but I also think the remaining good he tried to do with his time afterwards should be as well. 

An imperfect legacy for an imperfect person. 

• Confused 1