Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

I joke and kid about my fast food vices but I was checking my credit card statement today and I was surprised at the amount of money I spend eating out. 40 dollars, 20 dollars, 15 dollars, 15 dollars, 15 dollars, etc. All that adds up man.

I could cut like 150 to 200 dollars out of my finances just by avoiding fast food. It's just whenever I'm out running errands I like to indulge. Maybe I should regulate myself or something.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

it's 2024 I pull my phone out to check times 

I don't judge this...I've jus been coming up with reasons NOT to pull my phone out so I'm not constantly looking at it (so this is another reason).

If you track it via wellness setting built into Android it adds up shockingly fast : /

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I don’t wear a watch 

🤷‍♂️

I feel naked without one.

I also enjoy taking it off and not caring what time it is.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't judge this...I've jus been coming up with reasons NOT to pull my phone out so I'm not constantly looking at it (so this is another reason).

If you track it via wellness setting built into Android it adds up shockingly fast : /

I feel naked without one.

I also enjoy taking it off and not caring what time it is.

Interesting, I hate not knowing what time it is. 

Even if I'm on vacation at the beach and there's literally nothing that I must do, I care what time it is on some level. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Interesting, I hate not knowing what time it is. 

Even if I'm on vacation at the beach and there's literally nothing that I must do, I care what time it is on some level. 

That's the thing, I've been where you are for so long which is why I had to force myself sometimes and it's been a process.

It's a peace I've worked for, checking my watch sometimes makes me feel like I didn't earn it.

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have a Rolex Explorer II, which I inherited, which is my daily wearer.  I also have a fancy Breitling Navitimer that I got for my 10th anniversary. 

I have a Folex that I bought in Bahrain for about 100-200 bucks about 20 years ago. It seems legit but I never wear watches so I don't care that it's fake. I took it to a Rolex shop in Hong Kong and asked an employee if they had the same watch new. He held mine then showed me the 20k real deal. I legit couldn't tell the difference. He couldn't either. I'm sure there is a way to identify a fake but I don't know how.

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's the thing, I've been where you are for so long which is why I had to force myself sometimes and it's been a process.

It's a peace I've worked for, checking my watch sometimes makes me feel like I didn't earn it.

It sounds like we're talking about two different things. It sounds like you would prefer a life where you didn't have to worry about what time it is, and when you can get there, you're happier. 

I'm saying the opposite. I enjoy knowing what time it is, and I have no desire to change that. 

27 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

It sounds like we're talking about two different things. It sounds like you would prefer a life where you didn't have to worry about what time it is, and when you can get there, you're happier. 

I'm saying the opposite. I enjoy knowing what time it is, and I have no desire to change that. 

I generally use my Apple Watch, but I have an inherited (working) 18K gold Elgin pocket watch from the 1880's that I've never seen fit to carry.

We won't talk about my clock collection.

sDTTScP.jpg

That's one of my Ithaca Calendar Clocks, also from the 1880s.  It has a mechanical calendar function that tell not only the time, but the date, day of the week, and month, and, if set properly, accounts for leap year and will go from February 28th to February 29th in a leap year, and jump to March 1st in a non-leap year (again, all mechanical).

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I assumed people still wearing watches (under the age of 60) were doing it for style purposes. Because it fit their outfit and how they wanted to look. 

I figured it was a small % that actually just prefer to check time that way 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

I see, a second ago you said you hate not knowing what time it is...that's what I responded to.

I enjoy knowing what time it is enough to have to look at my watch and be able to tell without any numbers on the face. I want to believe if at some point I'm having too much trouble with this that something is wrong.

I don't believe knowing exact time and "about what time" are the same thing.  Time of year, where I am, where the sun is are sometimes enough to know if I'm running out that "doesn't matter what exact time it is".

Example I took my kids to beach this weekend, the less I have on me i can lose, the better. I knew what time it was in the morning when we left because I wanted them back inside before it was high noon (both times I've taken them to the beach I'm like that to get them used to it and limit heat exposure, had to do same with my Dad as he got older).

At some point having to know exact time interferes with just living in the moment.  It is different then what you're describing, I don't hate not knowing what time it is more then I love know what time it is.  Those aren't the same thing, I can take a break, I can turn that off now when once upon a time I felt I couldn't.

Time is one of the few things you can't get back, I'm still grappling with my change in value you on it, so apologies if I lost you any point in this post. Little things add up.

36 minutes ago, tshile said:

Honestly I assumed people still wearing watches (under the age of 60) were doing it for style purposes. Because it fit their outfit and how they wanted to look. 

After I met someone who wore an analog watch but admitted they couldn't tell analog time I never looked at watches the same.

I hope that is rare, I cannot process it, so I choose not to.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

As a U60, it's both for me.  I like the style of a nice watch, and I like to be able to get the time with a quick glance down.

And I just like the whole mechanical nature of watches.  I prefer to go for an automatic watch rather than a quartz or other battery-powered watch.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Is this supposed to be blank or is something not displaying right on my end?

Sorry, it was supposed to be the Forky Asks a Question Episode, What is Time?  I cant get it to work. 

Posted (edited)

At my hubby's memorial, his boss started off with "If you asked him what time it was, about an hour later you knew all about the theory of time and how clocks are made."  :ols:  (So true, and everyone cracked up.) 

The funniest thing about that (to me) was that boss had given him a really nice Tag for his 40th birthday, just after we'd started dating.   

Edit, add:  I wear my cheap Seiko at work, it's scratched but sentimental.  Got a real Disney Mickey (Duke blue) in the decorative tin, and a Winnie the Pooh with honey bees.  Hubby never wore the Mickey his other boss got him, still in the case.

Edited by skinsmarydu
add, syntax
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever gotten a survey from Nielsen?  I got one today with a $1 bill inside, with a promise of another 5 if I send in the survey (prepaid envelope), so I did it. 

One copy in English, one in Spanish.  They wanted to know what genres I watched in each language in the last month. 

(It wasn't addressed directly to me, just "resident of XX neighborhood".)

• Thumb up 1

Yeah. I thought it’d be neat to do it. 

then they sent a novel for me to fill out with the 5$. I laughed and threw it in the trash. They then spammed me for years. 

It’s the most backasswards method in modern days. Just partner with the providers it’s all digital what people watch.