Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

https://www.androidauthority.com/youtube-ad-block-installs-3382289/

YouTube recently expanded its ad-blocking efforts, transitioning from just a small experiment to a global launch. The move appears to have had some success, as users are uninstalling the software in record numbers. But you can also argue it has had the opposite effect, as even higher numbers of users are turning to better ad blockers.
Snapdragon Spaces: Bridging the gap between smartphone apps and XR apps

Hundreds of thousands of users have uninstalled ad blockers in October, seemingly in connection with YouTube’s broadened crackdown, according to a report from Wired. At the same time, data shows that record-breaking numbers of people are also installing alternatives that won’t be caught in YouTube’s net.

3 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Don’t you just hate it when that happens?  🤣😂

Embrace the chaos… peace of mind is an illusion!!! Fortunately, it’s a fleeting one. Lol

The third law of thermodynamics tells us that chaos cannot reduce, only increase or change shape.  If you've achieved peace of mind, you've probably pawned off excess chaos on someone else.

Edited by PokerPacker

19 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

The third law of thermodynamics tells us that chaos cannot reduce, only increase or change shape.  If you've achieved peace of mine, you've probably pawned off excess chaos on someone else.

Achieving a peace of mind = acceptance of the chaos. Because chaos is constant 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

The third law of thermodynamics tells us that chaos cannot reduce, only increase or change shape.  If you've achieved peace of mine, you've probably pawned off excess chaos on someone else.

Like where it belongs, as I know what my priorities are (incredible amount of peace of mind can come from reminding yourself of this)...

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

Achieving a peace of mind = acceptance of the chaos. Because chaos is constant 🙂

Serenity Prayer ftw...:ols:

16 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

The third law of thermodynamics tells us that chaos cannot reduce, only increase or change shape.  If you've achieved peace of mind, you've probably pawned off excess chaos on someone else.

Only if you have an ex

May be an image of fire and text that says 'Don't forget to set your clock on fire tonight. Time isn't real.'

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

https://www.androidauthority.com/youtube-ad-block-installs-3382289/

YouTube recently expanded its ad-blocking efforts, transitioning from just a small experiment to a global launch. The move appears to have had some success, as users are uninstalling the software in record numbers. But you can also argue it has had the opposite effect, as even higher numbers of users are turning to better ad blockers.
Snapdragon Spaces: Bridging the gap between smartphone apps and XR apps

Hundreds of thousands of users have uninstalled ad blockers in October, seemingly in connection with YouTube’s broadened crackdown, according to a report from Wired. At the same time, data shows that record-breaking numbers of people are also installing alternatives that won’t be caught in YouTube’s net.

I was actually looking around in the Tailgate just to see if anyone’s posted about this. I had an ad blocker on for just any websites in general, just for pop ups and other crap, I didn’t know it was working on YouTube. I’ve been going to YouTube for years not knowing that the ad blocker worked on videos, too. 

So I succumbed to it a couple weeks ago. And I realize YouTube’s revenue is down, that’s why they cracked down on ad blockers but goddam, I can’t watch a 15 minute video without, like, 4 or 5 ads.  Last night I was watching an Eddie Van Halen solo and it just kept interrupting. I might be more open to watching videos with ads if they’d didn’t start them at the worst possible times. 

If their goal is to twist your arm so bad that you want to pay for YT premium so there aren’t any ads, congratulations, because I’ve seriously thought about it although I don’t really feel like caving in. 

So I guess two questions for the Tailgate faithful:

Can anyone suggest an ad blocker that works on YT right now?

Or if you pay for YT premium, is it worth it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I have two toddlers with the attention spans of goldfish, so I don't want the work I've put into finding quality targeted educational videos for them (effort paying off as oldest can read) constantly interrupted by **** they don't understand and I don't plan to do or buy.

I think of how many people that forget they have a Netflix account and swear they'll go down swinging before getting YT Premium, it just reminds me of all the folks that swore they wouldn't eat the new popeyes chicken sandwich jus because everyone else was doing it.  I was one of them trying not to be one of them, I got a sandwich one day, it was good, I now have YT Premium.

Cable is obsolete (I don't have it anymore) and YT Premium is underrated when in context of how many "channels" on YouTube there are.  Not to mention how many TVs have YT built in now so it's pretty easy to pull my stuff up and logout before I leave like a hotel or some kids birthday party to try to chill the herd.

Edit: I'll accept any boogie title thrown my way because...

84z0j1.jpg.31008475fbd14b1c2d284fe39ef1691d.jpg

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So I guess two questions for the Tailgate faithful:

Can anyone suggest an ad blocker that works on YT right now?

Don't use youtube.   ...Directly, that is.  There are alternative websites to access the same videos.  There's the Invidious Network, and there's Piped.

The Invidious Network is a federated network of instances, so if one doesn't work, you can try another.  I default to using the yewtu.be server and then try out others if it gives me problems.  Invidious also has a nice feature that allows you to just play the audio stream from a video if you just wanna stream some music while you work and don't need to take up network bandwidth on the video stream.
I'm not as familiar with piped, but it seems to be similar in concept, though I don't typically have as much using it when given a link; might be because it uses javascript and I've got some stuff that does some js blocking?  Both of them use the same video URLs as youtube, but replace the domain-name part of the URL.

So, for example, if you wanted to see how an internet video was faked, instead of checking out Captain Disillusion on Youtube, you can check it out on yewtu.be:

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsXQInxxzBU
yewtu.be: https://yewtu.be/watch?v=rsXQInxxzBU

Otherwise, ublock origin is the best browser-based ad blocker, and I supplement that with a DNS-based ad blocker on my router.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I have two toddlers with the attention spans of goldfish, so I don't want the work I've put into finding quality targeted educational videos for them (effort paying off as oldest can read) constantly interrupted by **** they don't understand and I don't plan to do or buy.

I think of how many people that forget they have a Netflix account and swear they'll go down swinging before getting YT Premium, it just reminds me of all the folks that swore they wouldn't eat the new popeyes chicken sandwich jus because everyone else was doing it.  I was one of them trying not to be one of them, I got a sandwich one day, it was good, I now have YT Premium.

Cable is obsolete (I don't have it anymore) and YT Premium is underrated when in context of how many "channels" on YouTube there are.  Not to mention how many TVs have YT built in now so it's pretty easy to pull my stuff up and logout before I leave like a hotel or some kids birthday party to try to chill the herd.

Edit: I'll accept any boogie title thrown my way because...

It's not that I forget that I have a Netflix account.  I have one, I use it all the time.  It's just that I've got HBO Max, Prime, Direct TV streaming,  Disney for the kid, I don't totally feel the need to get YT premium because I don't know what it offers me, nor do I really care outside of the ability to watch **** on YT without being interrupted every 3-5 minutes.  Is that worth it?  Maybe.

21 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Don't use youtube.   ...Directly, that is.  There are alternative websites to access the same videos.  There's the Invidious Network, and there's Piped.

The Invidious Network is a federated network of instances, so if one doesn't work, you can try another.  I default to using the yewtu.be server and then try out others if it gives me problems.  Invidious also has a nice feature that allows you to just play the audio stream from a video if you just wanna stream some music while you work and don't need to take up network bandwidth on the video stream.
I'm not as familiar with piped, but it seems to be similar in concept, though I don't typically have as much using it when given a link; might be because it uses javascript and I've got some stuff that does some js blocking?  Both of them use the same video URLs as youtube, but replace the domain-name part of the URL.

So, for example, if you wanted to see how an internet video was faked, instead of checking out Captain Disillusion on Youtube, you can check it out on yewtu.be:

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsXQInxxzBU
yewtu.be: https://yewtu.be/watch?v=rsXQInxxzBU

Otherwise, ublock origin is the best browser-based ad blocker, and I supplement that with a DNS-based ad blocker on my router.

I think I followed all of this.  I might DM you with some questions.

EDIT:  Actually, pretty straightforward.  The Invidious site works really well.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

I spent all day yesterday watching Youtube and I didn't get one single warning for using an adblocker. I use ublock origin.

I see a lot of people are getting that message now about how ad blockers aren't permitted. Well, I watch Youtube on my TV, tablet, phone etc. And TV and phone are the worst without premium. First of all we get bombarded with political ads which I have to block every single one of, regardless of party. Second of all, some of these ads are 2 minutes long. They show 2 ads, and one is 2 minutes long. I'm not sitting through that. Luckily the skip ad button becomes available so I can just stop watching after a few seconds. But that's ridiculous.

Those are the family appropriate ones too. Sometimes Youtube will just let anyone buy ad space. I got an ad the other day for a fellatio device. It's like...THIS ISN'T APPROPRIATE. Instant block. Who the **** do they think they are showing that?