Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Although I want to learn Spanish first I now want to learn Italian out of spite.

My grandfather is from Italy, but when he came here he felt Americans were still racist towards Italians, calling them WOPs and stuff...

So he changed his last name to that of his step-father and refused to teach Italian to my mother to help protect her.

Goal would be conversational by time Wife and I finally go to Venice, not to show off, but the feeling of righting a generational wrong. My gut telling me them both being romantic languages will help a lot learning Spanish first and frankly im going to interact with it more first as well here in the States.

As a Canadian born citizen from 2 Italian immigrants for parents…..

0603AC43-B170-47A9-8DF2-174709C84EEA.gif

Edited by Die Hard
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

@Die Hard

I was in an argument with someone while I was cooking one time, family now.

After it was over, I brought over a plate and told them it wasn't an apology plate it was an "I know you haven't eaten and I started cooking before we started arguing" plate...

Does that kinda count?  I am mixed.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Lot of Bay Area friends last night lamenting about how it's hard to be a sports fan sometimes

They surely didn't like me reminding them they've seen 3 World Series wins, 6 NBA championships (4 wins), 2 Super Bowls (both losses) and a Stanley Cup (loss) for their sports teams in the past 13 years.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95242mf6pblqpkx0dra7

Try being a WVU & Washington sport fan. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9524govunodm1dbrbdf0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I never understood why it's a problem to begin with for some people.

Of course some people never want to grow up:

How old is too old to trick-or-treat? Leave the Halloween custom to the kids

If I had to recall when I went trick-or-treating for the very first time, I’d say it was probably in the second grade. I may not remember much from that night, but I do vividly remember my costume of choice — Spiderella, a sort-of spider witch who donned a weblike headpiece. I also remember abandoning my pumpkin basket for a hefty pillow case prior to embarking on a candy-filled excursion.

Ever since then, I’ve always gone trick-or-treating. But by the time I was around 13 or 14 years old, I called it quits on the Halloween tradition. It wasn’t a decision made out of force. My parents never forbade me from seeking a sugar high while in costume. Nor was it a decision made out of embarrassment. My friends never deemed trick-or-treating “uncool” or “dorky.” Rather, it was just a consequence of societal norms. Something about trick-or-treating as a teen, who was just a few years away from legal adulthood, felt…wrong. Even selfish, as if I was robbing little kids of their youth — and, of course, of valuable cavity-causing treats.

That’s why it came as a major surprise when I recently came across several online posts advocating for the practice of adult trick-or-treating. Basically, adults go out in costume and collect candy door-to-door. Some trick-or-treaters go out in groups while others prefer to go solo.

I’ll be honest, if an adult (or group of adults) showed up at my doorstep, shouting “trick-or-treat!” and eagerly waiting for candy to be given to them, I’d probably shut the door on them. Mainly because it’s a bit jarring and, frankly, unsettling. Even the thought of adults digging into a bowl of candy, choosing which ones are worth taking home and which ones aren’t is pretty bizarre to fathom.  

Perhaps that makes me sound judgmental and close-minded. And maybe I am indeed both those things. However, my stance on trick-or-treating is pretty firm: let the traditional Halloween custom be reserved just for the kids (yes, that includes teens too).

Click on the link for more

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

5 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I never understood why it's a problem to begin with for some people.

I think it's the classic problem that some teenagers are dicks, and the rest of the teenagers get lumped in with them. (For some people, teenagers are a scary group that gets aggressively prejudged, just like people of color and "foreigners".)

• Thanks 2