Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

On 9/22/2023 at 10:27 PM, China said:

i hate the hiccups.

I have 'em now. 

They're caused by when you breathe and swallow at the same time. (mom, the nurse)  Only way to fix it is to do it in reverse.  (Put a straw in something, plug your nose, and swallow.)  For some reason, it works. 

20 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think so.  And yes.

If you look at the account where the stock is held you can see if you have held it more than a year and what the cost basis is.

If you’ve held it long enough for long term capital gains to apply, and say the stock cost $30k then you are in the 15% LTCG band as General Wiggles indicated, then you would pay (40k - 30k) * 0.15, i.e. &1.5k in taxes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

This is a ridiculous example of how stupid our banks are.

I own a vehicle free and clear worth $40k.  I want a loan for $30k at a friendly rate and willing to use the car as collateral.  *With my history and credit score with them, I'm offended that I'm asked for collateral but that is a different topic.  They offered me like 7.95%.  But a used car loan is like 6%.  Can I just sell my car to myself?  No.  I could sell it to Buzzette but because we try to be coequal parts of the relationship,  we are both on the title and can't sell it to each other.  Literally my smartest financial move at the moment is to sell my car, take what cash I want from it, use the remainder to go buy and finance a new car at a special offer rate.

This is why we are broke.

Edit:  I also offered significant stock holdings far above what is needed to borrow as collateral but they don't do that.  

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

@TheGreatBuzzhave  you tried lightstream? They’re a Truist subsidiary (was under suntrust, who merged with bbt)

You can do up to 100k with them and if you have good credit history they may not even hold the title (they didn’t with me)

all online and quick and easy 

Edited by tshile
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tshile said:

@TheGreek1973have you tried lightstream? They’re a Truist subsidiary (was under suntrust, who merged with bbt)

You can do up to 100k with them and if you have good credit history they may not even hold the title (they didn’t with me)

all online and quick and easy 

I'm assuming you meant to tag me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is a ridiculous example of how stupid our banks are.

I own a vehicle free and clear worth $40k.  I want a loan for $30k at a friendly rate and willing to use the car as collateral.  *With my history and credit score with them, I'm offended that I'm asked for collateral but that is a different topic.  They offered me like 7.95%.  But a used car loan is like 6%.  Can I just sell my car to myself?  No.  I could sell it to Buzzette but because we try to be coequal parts of the relationship,  we are both on the title and can't sell it to each other.  Literally my smartest financial move at the moment is to sell my car, take what cash I want from it, use the remainder to go buy and finance a new car at a special offer rate.

This is why we are broke.

Edit:  I also offered significant stock holdings far above what is needed to borrow as collateral but they don't do that.  

Sell it to me for cash and I will sell it back to you, so you can get the used car loan rate. 

For a 2% “convenience fee” of course. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Sell it to me for cash and I will sell it back to you, so you can get the used car loan rate. 

For a 2% “convenience fee” of course. 

There would be taxes involved, etc.

Though I believe we could gift it to her mother and then buy it from her with minimal taxes.  But I can't stand her mom. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Was gonna make some jambalaya tonight, and Jesus h, those smoked sausages from Hilshire farm are over $6.50 now 😪

I got one (hot) the other day, and I'm sure it wasn't that much...damn, sorry!  Then again, if you can get at least 2 meals out of it, could be worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1