Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

So can any of you IT guys provide a little advice for my son who is fresh out of college and trying to find a job?  He's currently local (NoVa) but would be willing to relocate.  His skills include programming in Java, OCaml, C, Python, SQL and using developer tools such as Git, GitHub, VS Code, Eclipse, & IntelliJ.  Feel free to PM me for more info or to follow up.  Thanks in advance.

• Thumb up 1

apply one them local contractors. Does he have an internship? That helps.

This area is full of cleared and in some cases uncleared (albeit more difficult to find) positions. Entry Level should be fine for him, there is no shortage of those positions in this area.

Java is very popular still, as well as Python. He also has a lot of useful skills for today such as Git, and all the tools you recognized.

With his experience he should have no problem finding an entry level job. Also, watch out for those coding challenges. If he wants a FAANG (Google / AWS / Facebook) in this area he'll have to whiteboard problems and he'll have to know about Big O notation and algorithms.

Another note since he is fresh out, he can still use the resources of his college career center. Network with them, attend job fairs, and apply apply apply.

The only thing holding him back IMO is the clearance. He can get cleared from being uncleared, but for TS/SCI and other higher paying clearances it may take over a year for that to happen. Sometimes companies will issue interim clearances, but depends on company.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Was looking up variations on stroganoff and found this atrocity. 

This is a war crime. 

And on the outskirts of ATL...there's no decent food to be found.  He was very "kind" when he did my neighborhood cafeteria that always gets voted "Best Fried Chicken in ATL". 

First time my multi-millionaire ex-FIL took us there I almost fell out just seeing dead flies in the windowsills.  But he loved that place. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

And on the outskirts of ATL...there's no decent food to be found.  He was very "kind" when he did my neighborhood cafeteria that always gets voted "Best Fried Chicken in ATL". 

First time my multi-millionaire ex-FIL took us there I almost fell out just seeing dead flies in the windowsills.  But he loved that place. 

Guy Fieri deservedly gets piled on a lot. But the one thing he is consistent about is always supporting mom and pop diners (drive ins and dives) on his show. I remember he once interviewed and said he doesn't always like a dish he has on that show but that it wasn't his place to say so. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, ixcuincle said:

Guy is fine with me. I like him.

People are giving him **** though because he and Ramsay sold out with their frozen tv dinner meals at Walmart.

No, I give him **** because he looks like ****.   He looks like "I belong anywhere but a kitchen". 

I would never be within 20 feet of him, unless it's to take a look at his car (which is completely badass). 

• Thumb up 1