Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watching the Playoffs makes me wonder if rushing is back in vogue

Burgold

2 hours ago, sjinhan said:

I think what we are seeing is the "market" forces in action....  With amount of attention given to passing and wide open offenses, the talent to execute those schemes is getting diluted significantly due to the number of teams looking for those type of players...  If a team were to look talent for run heavy offenses, there is not much competition for those type of players anymore as there was about 10-15 years ago.  As result, I think teams that stuck with the running game as a focal point of their offense have amassed significant level of talent for the running game at discounted market value that now those offenses are a force in the league...

Ding ding ding. Henry is a player that thrives on the nfls transition to more mobile defenders. 

a healthy running game is great, passing is where it’s at though

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

We really should be thanking Jay. His expert stewardship for our 0-5 start led to us perhaps drafting this insanely talented DE. Our very own JJ Watt even. If I ever see Jay in person, I'm going to personally give him a nipple twist as a thank you.

LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

It never hurts to have a strong running game, especially if your RB gets you 6+ yds on 1st downs { when he runs on 1st downs }.

Look at Houston today; they jumped out to a 24-0 lead in the FIRST QTR no less, then O'Brien started to get cutesy with play calling, and they lost momentum; big time. He was trying to run on 1st downs, with a RB not worthy of being a back-up, and he was constantly putting his team in a hole.

I've always believed a good set of WRs is the most important thing to have. If you have 3 WRs or 2 WRs + TE, and a good RB, you can do what you want, but you cannot become predictable. No team can survive predictability. Gibbs strength was going against tendencies, and he did pretty well, but he also had a hellacious o-line, and that aspect made choices easier.

AP has proven he can still get the job done. Is he older, yes; has he lost some of his abilities? yes. But his level was much higher than most other RBS, so even when he lost a little, he merely dropped to just above the others. Used right, he can be a huge difference-maker.

7 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Guice runs very similarly to Henry. If he can stay healthy he’s gonna lead the league in rushing one year.

Guice runs hard, but comparing him to Henry is a huge reach.  Henry has 20 lbs on him and might even be faster.  That said, I hope Guice can stay healthy for an entire year so we can see what he's got.

12 minutes ago, evmiii said:

Guice runs hard, but comparing him to Henry is a huge reach.  Henry has 20 lbs on him and might even be faster.  That said, I hope Guice can stay healthy for an entire year so we can see what he's got.

Guice is made up of glass.  No way he could handle this load like Henry 

I don't think you're seeing the resurgence of run first in the NFL... I think you're seeing teams get better at scheming if they need to run first. Guarantee you everyone of the aforementioned would trade their running back for Patrick Mahomes in a heartbeat.

One big issue I see, that style of play is great when it's working but if you get down, it's much harder to play from behind.

Teams that can't run or stop the run have almost no chance in the playoffs. The way it's always been.

The Chiefs are in play primarily because their QB is a one-off, but also because their defense quietly got a lot better. Oh, and they can run the ball if they need to. This isn't Andy Reid's old Eagles.

I think there needs to be some lines drawn in the sand...

Strong running team doesn’t necessarily mean run first. It means the team can run the ball well when it has to. 

Tennessee ran the ball well, but only after they went up 14-0. They worked hard to get 14 points on the board quickly so they could dial up Henry. (Which, lets be honest, the threat of Henry opens up the deep ball quite a bit)

Running the ball for the sake of running it (see: 2019 Callahan Redskins) and running it well when you need to are two entirely different things. 

Today’s offenses are built on scoring fast. And they need to be. 

If you look at the stat lines only, Tannehill and Cousins played fairly similar games this weekend. The primary difference is the context. Tannehill hit Raymond on that beautiful post-corner-seam route to put his team up 14-0. He didn’t need to do much else other than hand the ball to the workhorse. 

Cousins threw the ball to what seemed like 800 times while the Vikings totally abandoned the run. And I’m not bringing up Cousins to talk about HIM here, in this thread I’m focusing on the Vikings coaching/ability. Their line was struggling so their OC gave up on Cook and the ball was completely put into Cousins hands. Ironically, the lack of running game led the Browns to immediately run out and hire the Vikings OC... which I find odd. They have Nick Chubb... but I digress.

Tannehill has to do enough to help them get the lead then put it in cruise control. 

Archived