Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Florida is ablaze with COVID-19—and its case data reporting is a hot mess

With the hypertransmissible delta variant on the rampage, Florida has become the epicenter of transmission in the US. The state is experiencing its largest surge of COVID-19 cases yet in the pandemic. Hospitalizations have reached record levels, and deaths are on the rise.

But instead of focusing on the response to the dire public health emergency, state officials appear to be squabbling over pandemic data and health measures.

On Monday night, Florida's health department blasted media outlets for reporting the state's most recent daily COVID-19 case counts—as the counts were relayed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Click on the link for the full article

I got yelled at pretty hard in here for stating we did not know how effective the vaccine was against Delta. At the time the early indications were it was decent but I said then we do knot know enough. And I got my head ripped off for "spreading misinformation" and that Pfizer and Moderna were 100% against Delta. Well seems like my concerns were well founded. Whether you believe this story completely or not, there is very solid evidence that Pfizer and Moderna are not 100% against the Delta. That is fact not supposition. In fact the best so far poven is 86%. Now it stills keep you from getting as sick. But still, this is not a 100% fix. 

I hope they make a booster available soon. This is getting worse than the first wave. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pfizers-vaccine-efficacy-dropped-42-105945416.html

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3

Just a reminder that a vaccine is only as effective as the immune system of the person that received it.  By the criteria of “producing antibodies”, one can easily make the scientific case that the Pfizer/Moderna mRNA doses are the most effective ever created.  But, efficacy over time wanes, just as natural immunity does.  You may think you’re “immune” to Measles because you were vaccinated as a child, but trust me…if they threw your old ass in a room with a couple Measles patients you’d be catching a case real quick.

Additionally, it’s important to understand that when we hear a stat like “55% of adults are vaccinated” what that means is that folks over 75YO are like 90% vaxxed and people under 45ish are around 35% vaxxed.  And one would reasonably expect that the immune response of an 85YO would not provide the same vaccine efficacy of a much younger and stronger immune system.  And that skews the data, significantly.

Also, I am not a scientist.  I am a limousine ridin, jet flyin, kiss stealin, wheelin dealin son of a gun…who reads a lot.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I got yelled at pretty hard in here for stating we did not know how effective the vaccine was against Delta. At the time the early indications were it was decent but I said then we do knot know enough. And I got my head ripped off for "spreading misinformation" and that Pfizer and Moderna were 100% against Delta. Well seems like my concerns were well founded. Whether you believe this story completely or not, there is very solid evidence that Pfizer and Moderna are not 100% against the Delta. That is fact not supposition. In fact the best so far poven is 86%. Now it stills keep you from getting as sick. But still, this is not a 100% fix. 

I hope they make a booster available soon. This is getting worse than the first wave. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pfizers-vaccine-efficacy-dropped-42-105945416.html

I don't know what you said initially or who ripped your head off, but they weren't 100% effective against the original strain.

And I doubt anybody claimed this was a 100% fix (though it depends on what you mean by a 100% fix.  If we could get 95% of the US population vaccinated, Covid would essentially go away even at 86% effective.

Though the 86% number appears to be wrong based on the study (76&), and you also appear to have ignored some of the qualifying parts of the story.

Including the word suggest in the title.

2 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I don't know what you said initially or who ripped your head off, but they weren't 100% effective against the original strain.

And I doubt anybody claimed this was a 100% fix (though it depends on what you mean by a 100% fix.  If we could get 95% of the US population vaccinated, Covid would essentially go away even at 86% effective.

Though the 86% number appears to be wrong based on the study (76&), and you also appear to have ignored some of the qualifying parts of the story.

Including the word suggest in the title.

I really don't care what you think or believe - lol. I know what happened. Yes some in here claimed that Pfizer was 100% effective against Delta. As is typical you make random claims without support. For example, I never said 86% was the exact number just that it's the best I had seen so far against Delta. You reference some study saying it's wrong with no link or even text from it to what you believe to be the right number, just 76& whatever that is supposed to be. But still you are arguing against a claim not made in the way you are arguing against it. You are making up your own argument.

Then you claim I ignored qualifying parts of the study without being specific - but even that is absurd since I never quoted any part of the study. I provided it as an example that Pfizer is not 100% against Delta which yes that was the claim.  

Not continuing after this with you as it's typically a waste of time. Enjoy your day. 

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I really don't care what you think or believe - lol. I know what happened. Yes some in here claimed that Pfizer was 100% effective against Delta. As is typical you make random claims without support. For example, I never said 86% was the exact number just that it's the best I had seen so far against Delta. You reference some study saying it's wrong with no link or even text from it to what you believe to be the right number, just 76& whatever that is supposed to be. But still you are arguing against a claim not made in the way you are arguing against it. You are making up your own argument.

Then you claim I ignored qualifying parts of the study without being specific - but even that is absurd since I never quoted any part of the study. I provided it as an example that Pfizer is not 100% against Delta which yes that was the claim.  

Not continuing after this with you as it's typically a waste of time. Enjoy your day. 

76% came from your link.  The 86% was against Covid in general BEFORE delta became the dominant strain.  After delta becomes the dominant strain, Modena drops to 76% (and Pfizer even more).

NEITHER/NONE of the numbers is actually specific to delta (the later ones presumably (e.g. the 76%) is presumably a better reflection of what the effectiveness is for delta, though they are all preliminary and might change.)

You aren't even understanding your own link.  

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

And I got my head ripped off for "spreading misinformation" and that Pfizer and Moderna were 100% against Delta

Politely asking if you could please quote one single person who stated that any vaccine was 100% effective, ever.  

Somehow, my suspicion is that the closest you can come, is some people pointing out that in some places, 100% of the people in the hospital were unvaccinated.  

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Politely asking if you could please quote one single person who stated that any vaccine was 100% effective, ever.  

Somehow, my suspicion is that the closest you can come, is some people pointing out that in some places, 100% of the people in the hospital were unvaccinated.  

I tried to find it but I am not good at finding things in here. But I know what was said. So believe it or not is up to you. The main point as that when I brought up that the Pfizer and Moderna may not be 100% against Delta I was told to stop spreading misinformation. But whatever the actual numbers are (and in fairness they are changing daily which is normal), my point was it's definitely less than 100%.  

23 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

76% came from your link.  The 86% was against Covid in general BEFORE delta became the dominant strain.  After delta becomes the dominant strain, Modena drops to 76% (and Pfizer even more).

NEITHER/NONE of the numbers is actually specific to delta (the later ones presumably (e.g. the 76%) is presumably a better reflection of what the effectiveness is for delta, though they are all preliminary and might change.)

You aren't even understanding your own link.  

LOL - Here is what I wrote: Whether you believe this story completely or not, there is very solid evidence that Pfizer and Moderna are not 100% against the Delta. That is fact not supposition. In fact the best so far poven is 86%. 

Where do I quote 86% from this article? Let me help you, I did not. I said even if you don't believe this article, there is other data out there. Maybe you didn't get that but I can't help you with that.  I am definitely done now.  :chair:

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I tried to find it but I am not good at finding things in here. But I know what was said. So believe it or not is up to you. The main point as that when I brought up that the Pfizer and Moderna may not be 100% against Delta I was told to stop spreading misinformation. But whatever the actual numbers are (and in fairness they are changing daily which is normal), my point was it's definitely less than 100%.  

Oh look, another person claiming to KNOW something that everyone else thinks is not true and that person cannot come up with even a modicum of proof for their claim.  Where have we seen this before?

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Did you say not 100% or not at all?  You got pushback on this:

I think some have missed the real issue - there are variants (new strains) to the virus that the vaccine you got does not block. So it's NOTunlikely for you to get a new variant if that variant has proven to get past the vaccine. At that point the vaccinated and unvaccinated are no different except the vaccinated are very unlikely to get the original variant. 

So the masks are all about the variants. 

Edited June 30 by goskins10

Edited by Ball Security

20 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Did you say not 100% or not at all?  You got pushback on this:

I think some have missed the real issue - there are variants (new strains) to the virus that the vaccine you got does not block. So it's NOTunlikely for you to get a new variant if that variant has proven to get past the vaccine. At that point the vaccinated and unvaccinated are no different except the vaccinated are very unlikely to get the original variant. 

So the masks are all about the variants. 

Edited June 30 by goskins10

Thanks for finding this. I can never find stuff. I also said this: 

On 6/30/2021 at 10:38 AM, goskins10 said:

C'mon, of course while you are eating you take your mask off. You are also separated by 6 feet. What most restaurants do is separate seating so you are not sitting right next to someone. The CDC guidance is for the current variant of Covid. Again, no one knows enough about the new variants to say. It may be that you need to quarantine if there is evidence of widespread of the delta variance or variants. 

It feels like you are looking for someone to hold your hand and tell you exactly what to do and give you 100% assurance you will not get it. That is an unrealistic expectation. There is nothing that is 100% - ever. You could do everything right and still get it. You could do everything wrong and not catch a thing.

Apply some common sense, do your best to put the odds in your favor and follow the guidelines the best you can. 

And i said then that there was more information. 

And I was responding to this that at least for me implied 100%: 

On 6/30/2021 at 2:48 PM, tshile said:

This does not match the info I have. 

in fact my understanding is moderna and Pfizer people are well set, and won’t need a booster for the variants, and in fact a booster within 6 months has bad side effects

J&J people are the ones they’re not sure about and they expect the CDC to have the data and comment on 1.5-2 weeks 

Edited by goskins10