Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

One person dies from COVID-19 every 17 seconds in Europe, WHO warns

Someone in Europe is killed by the coronavirus every 17 seconds, as the continent re-emerges as an epicenter of the deadly pandemic, according to the World Health Organization.

“Europe accounts for 28 percent of global cases, and 26 percent of deaths cumulatively in the region,” Hans Kluge, WHO’s European regional director, said Thursday, the Telegraph reported.

“Last week, Europe registered over 29,000 new COVID-19 deaths. That is one person dying every 17 seconds.”

Kluge said the number of deaths from the virus spiked by 18 percent on the continent last week but added new measures taken by European governments seem to be working — with the total number of weekly cases dipping for the first time in three months.

Click on the link for the full article

13 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Safe to say, Virginia is officially spiking.  We had a really solid run at 500-1000 cases per day for about 6 months, but that’s all over now.

Hang in there y’all.

MD ****ing up too.

MoCo is part of it too.

It's about to get real.  I went to pickup my asthma medicine this morning at Safeway and decided to just buy like 15lbs of meat to stick in the freezer, just in case stuff starts to get like it was back in March.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, purbeast said:

MD ****ing up too.

MoCo is part of it too.

It's about to get real.  I went to pickup my asthma medicine this morning at Safeway and decided to just buy like 15lbs of meat to stick in the freezer, just in case stuff starts to get like it was back in March.

We bought and stocked our freezer as well. Can't hurt to be ready...if it never becomes like March again, then I guess we just did what I assume most grownups do anyway :)

Tyson Managers Suspended After Allegedly Betting If Workers Would Contract COVID

Tyson Foods Inc., which says it produces 20% of the beef, pork and chicken in the U.S., has suspended managers at an Iowa plant accused of participating in a betting pool on how many employees would become ill with COVID-19.

President and CEO Dean Banks also announced on Thursday the company has launched an investigation led by former Attorney General Eric Holder into the allegations.

The suspensions come one day after the family of a deceased employee filed a lawsuit claiming "fraudulent misrepresentations, gross negligence, and incorrigible, willful and wanton disregard for worker safety at its pork processing facility in Waterloo, Iowa."

The US just recorded more than 2,000 Covid-19 deaths in a day. One model predicts that number will keep growing

More than 2,000 American deaths were recorded by Johns Hopkins University on Thursday -- the highest number since early May.

And as the virus runs unabated across US communities, experts warn the coming weeks will likely be brutal and the pandemic's death toll will keep climbing.

By December 18, more than 2,300 Americans could be losing their lives daily, according to the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME).

"We expect daily deaths to reach a peak of over 2,500 a day in mid-January," the IHME modeling team wrote on Thursday.

The group also hiked its Covid-19 death forecast considerably, now predicting a total of 471,000 American deaths by March 1 -- up more than 30,000 since their last projection about a week ago.

Health officials predicted a rise in deaths would follow the surge of new infections and hospitalizations much of the country is now experiencing. On Thursday, the US reported a new high of more than 80,600 hospitalized patients nationwide, according to the COVID Tracking Project.

On the same day, another record: more than 187,800 new cases reported across the country, the most ever, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

I don't particularly like Hogan in the grand scheme of things (didn't vote for him and wouldn't), but I'm not going to fault the guy for trying. Remember the landscape at the time, the Trump administration was actively ****ing up the logistics of fighting the pandemic. Hogan was at least attempting to get tests.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We're doomed:

Passengers crowd Sky Harbor as CDC calls for canceling Thanksgiving travel plans

Video shot Friday morning shows passengers crowding around gates at Phoenix Sky Harbor a day after the CDC called for people to cancel their Thanksgiving travel plans.

"This is about as crowded as it was before COVID hit," said Ed Westerfield, who shot the video before boarding a flight to Puerto Vallarta. "This is just jam-packed."

Click on the link for the full article and video