Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Want to know how screwed up we are?

On March 31, 2020 there were a total of 197,951 cumulative cases of COVID-19 in this country and we were shutting everything down.  Now?  We had that many in just one day on Friday, and people want to get on planes and have superspreader dinners for Thanksgiving.   We're ****ed.

• Sad 5

6 hours ago, China said:

We're ****ed.

Yep. That’s what I’m thinking.

We (Canada) had minimal numbers when this started. It was trending up, but relatively slowly. Within a few weeks post-Thanksgiving, we had doubled our single day high numbers of the first wave. And the numbers they’re projecting now for December.... make those first wave numbers laughable.

But it seems the US is already peaking itself.... and this is BEFORE Thanksgiving. And it seems everyone wants to disregard our lessons.

So I imagine it’s going to be devastating very shortly.

Well, I guess the only bright side (for now) in Nova is that the hospitalization rate is still low and the rate of death is still close to zero. Naturally, you'd expect these things to climb UNLESS the driver of case load is younger people. Of course, it's only a matter of time before those younger people start to infect the older and more at risk population again.

We know what we need to do, just need to stick with it. Masks, distance, wash hands. Don't stay indoors with a group of people for too long. The end.

This vaccine can't come soon enough.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

We know what we need to do, just need to stick with it. Masks, distance, wash hands. Don't stay indoors with a group of people for too long. The end.

That was protocol here too. With pretty good compliance. And it didn’t prevent the second wave.

Now, in the hot spots.... it’s right back to nobody outside your household (and work, if you cannot work remotely) and avoid non-essential public/social endeavours.

It’s all about the vaccines at this point.

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

That was protocol here too. With pretty good compliance. And it didn’t prevent the second wave.

Now, in the hot spots.... it’s right back to nobody outside your household (and work, if you cannot work remotely) and avoid non-essential public/social endeavours.

It’s all about the vaccines at this point.

Frankly, I can’t afford that.

I can’t just not work again. I can’t have people not leaving their homes to come to my business. I run an auto service shop. I need people driving and I need cars to work on. Quarantine is not an option for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I can’t just not work again. I can’t have people not leaving their homes to come to my business. I run an auto service shop. I need people driving and I need cars to work on. Quarantine is not an option for me.

Essential businesses remain open... with modifications. Auto-service shops are business as usual here... even in cities with lockdowns.

The government(s) here (federal, provincial and local) don’t want to shut down the economy again. Basically, the more ‘social’ (large gathering) businesses are severely restricted (restaurant take outs, drive thru, and curb side delivery), no bars/clubs, banquet halls, etc.

Quarantine is just for people with symptoms (24-hr symptom free)... or positive Covid tests.

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Didn't you just order a brand-new Tesla?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Essential businesses remain open... with modifications. Auto-service shops are business as usual here... even in cities with lockdowns.

The government(s) here (federal, provincial and local) don’t want to shut down the economy again. Basically, the more ‘social’ (large gathering) businesses are severely restricted (restaurant take outs, drive thru, and curb side delivery), no bars/clubs, banquet halls, etc.

Quarantine is just for people with symptoms (24-hr symptom free)... or positive Covid tests.

Yeah, we never closed in March and April either. What did happen is people stopped driving (and they still haven’t been driving as much). 

Our March and April numbers were down 50-60% year over year. So far this year we are down 10% year over year. That doesn’t seem like much but on a 4 million dollar business, that’s 400k. Nearly half a million dollars. And when someone like myself, that gets incentivized based on stuff like this, it stings.

Like, I’m not gonna starve, but it has me worried that we will need to layoff people. That it’ll be difficult to come back as a business from an extended closure of non-essentials.

Just now, michiskin said:

Yes.

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 1

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Owning an auto-service shop but driving a Tesla is like owning a small sporting goods store but doing all your shopping at Dick’s.

I don’t own the shop. And I also own a gas powered SUV. But I get your gist. There’s a part of me that feels like owning a Tesla is sacrilegious but I think I’ll get over it.

• Like 2

European countries believed that Germany would always have spare ICU beds for them. Now they're almost full

Germany was seen as a beacon for other European countries during the first coronavirus wave and hailed for one of the world's best health care systems. But it is now beginning to struggle with more severe infections than at any other point during the pandemic.

Coronavirus infection numbers hit an all-time record Friday, with nearly 24,000 new daily cases recorded -- and so did the number of patients in the country's intensive care units. Official data from the German Interdisciplinary Association for Intensive and Emergency Medicine (DIVI) show that the number of Covid-19 patients in German intensive care units (ICU) has climbed from 267 on September 21 to 3,615 as of November 20 -- a more than 13-fold increase in the space of just two months.

Europe's largest economy has gotten through the pandemic fairly well for now compared to its neighboring countries. This in in part due to its high intensive care capacity with 33.9 beds per 100,000 inhabitants; in contrast, Italy has just 8.6. But with Covid cases across the region skyrocketing, even Germany's healthcare system is under strain and hospitals in some areas are increasingly coming close to their limits.

Germany's leadership on Friday warned the system could collapse in weeks if the current trajectory continues. 

Click on the link for the full article

Russia’s health system under strain as the virus surges back

Russia’s health care system, vast yet underfunded, has been under significant strains in recent weeks, as the pandemic surges again and daily infections and virus death regularly break records.

Across the country, 81% of hospital beds that have been set aside for coronavirus patients were full as of Wednesday. Three times last week, the Russian government reported a record number of daily deaths, and the number of daily new infections per 100,000 people has more than doubled since Oct. 1, from 6 to over 15. Overall, Russia has recorded over 2 million cases and over 35,000 deaths, but experts say all numbers worldwide understate the true toll of the pandemic.

Reports in Russian media have painted a bleak picture in recent weeks. Hospital corridors are filled with patients on gurneys and even the floor. Bodies in black plastic bags were seen piling up on the floors of a morgue. Long lines of ambulances wait at hospitals while pharmacies put up signs listing the drugs they no longer have in stock.

Russian authorities have acknowledged problems in the health system. President Vladimir Putin even urged regional officials not to paper over the situation, saying that “feigning the impression that everything is perfectly normal is absolutely unacceptable.”

Yet Russian authorities continue to insist there’s no need for a nationwide lockdown or widespread closures of businesses, instead urging people to observe the measures ordered by regional governments.

REVEALED: How orthodox rabbi ignored NY governor's call to cancel 7,000-person synagogue wedding and held it in 'secret' by only using word of mouth - as covid infections in NYC soared

A Hasidic wedding in Brooklyn slipped under the radar of city officials as it crammed 7,000 maskless people into a synagogue in defiance of Governor Andrew Cuomo's coronavirus restrictions.

On November 8, crowds gathered shoulder to shoulder in the Yetev Lev temple in Williamsburg to celebrate the nuptials of Yoel Teitelbaum, grandson of Satmar Grand Rabbi Aaron Teitelman.

To keep the celebration under wraps, the community shared information on the wedding only by word of mouth as organizers schemed to avoid it being broken up by 'the ravenous press and government officials'. 

Images of the ceremony show the hall rammed with bodies with no masks in sight as the community celebrated successfully getting away with the gathering.

35953060-8973619-image-m-8_1605997053283

The temple's decision to host the wedding came despite losing its own president, R'Mayer Zelig Rispler, to COVID-219 last month.

Rispler had openly called for the Hasidic community to abide by state guidelines to cut down spread of the virus after they faced criticism for failing to comply with ongoing efforts to curb the outbreak in the city, where nearly 25,000 people have already died.

De Blasio and Cuomo have attempted extended outreach to the Hasidic community but have fallen short of curbing mass gatherings due to their relationship with Orthodox leaders.

'The ability of Hasidic leaders to compel their followers to so brazenly violate the rules and norms extends well beyond the pandemic, and is enabled by government officials turning a blind eye for political reasons,' Naftuli Moster, executive director of YAFFED, a nonprofit that advocates for improved secular education in yeshivas, told the Post.

^^^Utter selfishness, ignorance and stupidity.  I hope they all catch it; learn a lesson the hard way.

Meanwhile...

1,000 U.S. hospitals are ‘critically’ short on staff — and more expect to be soon

More than 1,000 hospitals across the United States are “critically” short on staff, according to numbers released this week by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Those hospitals, which span all 50 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, represent about 18% of all hospitals that report their staffing status to HHS. And that number is expected to grow: 21% of all hospitals reporting say they anticipate having critical staffing shortages in the next week.

The worst-hit state is North Dakota with 51% of hospitals that reported saying they’re facing shortages; seven states say over 30% of their hospitals are in trouble.

---------------------

National Guard to support El Paso morgues as COVID deaths surge

Members of the Texas National Guard have been deployed to El Paso County to support the region's morgue operations, as the county undergoes a "spike in deaths" related to COVID-19, El Paso Mayor Dee Margo announced.

The backdrop: Texas became the first state to surpass 1 million coronavirus cases earlier this month.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, michiskin said:

what is your point?

8 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Owning an auto-service shop but driving a Tesla is like owning a small sporting goods store but doing all your shopping at Dick’s.

Or like owning an Italian restaurant but eating Olive Garden DoorDash for dinner 5 days a week.

Tesla’s still need inspections, tires, suspension work, body work, ect....

I think it’s selfish to tell someone worrying about the impact a shut down will have on them that they shouldn’t have nice things. 

everyone thinks they should get free shutdown money but business owners should just take the losses as the cost of doing business.

*shrugs*

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1