Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

My understanding is that a LOT of time was made up because of work on SARS years ago. This virus being in the SARS family meant they could begin after takeoff, as it were, since a lot of the modeling had been done already.

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

All those vaccines seems like fool's gold to me right now.

You have to wonder how do we get all of those so quick, so fast, so much at the same time...

We still don't have one for catching a cold. So they're raising eyebrows right now.

The common cold is one of the most difficult things to cure

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

You have to wonder how do we get all of those so quick, so fast, so much at the same time...

We still don't have one for catching a cold. So they're raising eyebrows right now.

This doesn't really raise eyebrows for me generally. I think it's a combination of a massive amount of very smart people working incredibly hard, along with regulations being a bit more loose, advances in technology, and the potential for enormous profits.

We don't have one for the common cold because it's not really necessary (hence not worth the money to invest in finding and producing it), and there are a lot of different types of viruses that cause the "common cold" (Rhinovirus, Coronavirus, RSV, etc) so it's not a "one and done" sort of thing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This doesn't really raise eyebrows for me generally. I think it's a combination of a massive amount of very smart people working incredibly hard, along with regulations being a bit more loose, advances in technology, and the potential for enormous profits.

I think the last argument is the most important here. One that could to both good and bad too.

I agree on the more loose regulations, that would be a given here, but very smart people working extremely hard isn't always equal to success, and here the success rate seems to be incredibly high.  Which is what I find weird.

Otherwise, I don't have much faith in mankind...  Mostly due to your former argument. Lots of people will be to up to anything for some profits. 

Fox is asking that question because they are working off a totally bogus premise. That deaths would have been 2 Million if Trump hadn’t done what he did, which was basically not that much.  I’m constantly shocked at people who say what could he have done?

His actions or lack there of vis a vis Covid has been criminal for quite some time now. Not sure how they’ve skated on the subject within their own ranks and vs the democrats. Always felt the left never pinned him down and fully spotlighted on the fact he absolutely Sucked and made it exponentially worse for the USA.

15 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I think the last argument is the most important here. One that could to both good and bad too.

I agree on the more loose regulations, that would be a given here, but very smart people working extremely hard isn't always equal to success, and here the success rate seems to be incredibly high.  Which is what I find weird.

Otherwise, I don't have much faith in mankind...  Mostly due to your former argument. Lots of people will be to up to anything for some profits. 

That's fair. And what I said about not having raised eyebrows doesn't necessarily mean that I'll accept everything they say as gospel or don't approach it with some healthy skepticism. I know those pharma companies can be ruthless ****s when it comes down to their bottom line and profits. I just don't necessarily think there's anything overarchingly fishy about getting a vaccine out in record time.

Especially since we don't really have anything contemporary to compare it to. This is far and away the most dire health crisis we've had in the past 100 years and medical technology has obviously increased exponentially since then. So it's sort of uncharted territory as far as measuring typical timelines.

7 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Fox is asking that question because they are working off a totally bogus premise. That deaths would have been 2 Million if Trump hadn’t done what he did, which was basically not that much.  I’m constantly shocked at people who say what could he have done?

His actions or lack there of vis a vis Covid has been criminal for quite some time now. Not sure how they’ve skated on the subject within their own ranks and vs the democrats. Always felt the left never pinned him down and fully spotlighted on the fact he absolutely Sucked and made it exponentially worse for the USA.

Yeah this argument is so incredibly idiotic to me.

That's like telling people to be glad that a drunk driver at least sort of tried to steer the car away from a group of people at the last moment, and only plowed into and killed 2 people instead of all 6.

He was still a goddamn drunk driver and he still ****ing killed people; he deserves jail, not a ****ing medal.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

it would have been better if he did nothing...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

The industrial power and will of the United States show cased itself in this pandemic. The story of what went on to get the ppe, ventilators, medical equipment and of course the vaccines is just a marvel. 

There are tons of stories out there about it and we should start a thread and start sharing them. Cause one day someone’s gonna put it together and give us a hell of a movie or book - and I’m just talking about the industrial response. Like my favorite is one from npr’s planet money on following a business that makes a key ventilator part as they try to spin up production by 10,000% with no notice. 

it’s a shame we didn’t have a President that made a weekly or biweekly nightly tv appearance to tell us all the amazing things that are going on behind the scenes. And to reassure us that we’re capable if we all set everything else to the side for a few minutes and deal with this one, important thing right now. 

Here’s the planet money one

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/31/824886286/episode-987-the-race-to-make-ventilators

Edited by tshile
  • Like 4

Covid-19 is taking a devastating toll on Filipino American nurses

Nearly a third of the nurses who've died of coronavirus in the US are Filipino, even though Filipino nurses make up just 4% of the nursing population nationwide.

A recent report from the largest nurses' union in the country revealed the disproportionate number of deaths. It's a jarring statistic researchers are working to understand and a tragedy families across the US and around the world are living with every day.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 4

11 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

A vaccine to prevent the common cold has been difficult to make, primarily because there are more than 200 different varieties of viruses that can cause colds.

7 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

With antibiotics, it's cured in 7 days.

Without? Cured in a week.

Antibiotics are for bacterial infection. Colds are caused by a virus. So therefor, you can't cure a cold with antibiotics. 

I would think even the wildbunny would know the difference between apples and oranges. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, zskins said:

Antibiotics are for bacterial infection. Colds are caused by a virus. So therefor, you can't cure a cold with antibiotics. 

I would think even the wildbunny would know the difference between apples and oranges. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8604199

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, zskins said:

Misinformation is no joke. 

I mean, the post clearly stated that antibiotics have no effect on the common cold. This is a weird hill to die on.

(And as someone who reads the tailgate daily, I know you're a thoughtful person. So I'm not attacking you, just saying maybe you're overthinking this one.)

33 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I mean, the post clearly stated that antibiotics have no effect on the common cold. This is a weird hill to die on.

(And as someone who reads the tailgate daily, I know you're a thoughtful person. So I'm not attacking you, just saying maybe you're overthinking this one.)

Wildbunny also asked why there is no cure for the common cold. And then the joke. Just making sure. I was bio major so I take bio stuff seriously sometimes ...lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zskins said:

I think the take away here is that Wildbunny knows there is no difference between 7 days and a week.

• Haha 2