Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

My sister got admitted for covid pneumonia. She wasn’t too pleased. Since she works as a physician assistant at Advent Hospital; she went from employee to patient.

I guess she was bound to get it sooner or later. She has dealt with some covid patients. I told her, she better prepare to be there a week.

• Sad 4

Ben Carson says he used unproven COVID-19 treatment recommended by MyPillow CEO

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson said in a new interview that he took oleander extract, an unapproved herbal supplement that has been promoted by the CEO of MyPillow, after contracting COVID-19.

The Washington Post reports Carson, a former neurosurgeon, said he took the extract after it was recommended by Mike Lindell. Lindell, who also served as President Trump's Minnesota campaign chairman, has a financial stake in the company that makes the extract, the Post notes.

Carson told the newspaper that his symptoms disappeared within hours after taking the supplement, also called oleandrin.

“Anybody who has ever gotten COVID and taken it, they are fine in five hours, and the next day are running around playing floor hockey in the hallway,” Lindell has said, despite the lack of scientific evidence to suggests oleander extract is useful in treating COVID-19.

In an August interview with ABC News, Carson appeared more reluctant to give the plant extract his full seal of approval.

“It's not time for it yet,” said Carson, adding that it should go through human trials. "What hopefully will happen is that clinical trials will occur. This should go the same route as other things do. We shouldn't, you know, skip the process."

Click on the link for the full article

What oath did Ben Carson take again, the Hypocritic Oath?

• Haha 1

Health-care workers are desperate for Americans to listen: ‘We didn’t go to nursing school to be martyrs’

Lauren Sharp graduated from nursing school last year.

She started working on an adult respiratory floor at a public hospital in East Lansing, Mich.

Then in March, the coronavirus struck.

“Mentally, it takes such a toll on you. It makes me question so many things and it almost feels like I’m not doing anything — not helping anybody when people just keep coming in and getting sick,” she said. “Nurses are supposed to help people. And I feel like I’m not doing that.”

In the spring, when the coronavirus first hit, she says she felt physically ill and sick to her stomach with fear. She would sometimes cry on the way into work. Her anxiety has continued through this present surge, as the United States continues to hit a record number of cases daily.

Nurses, doctors and other health-care workers are facing a steep climb in coronavirus cases as the spread of the virus looks relentless in the march toward Thanksgiving. The U.S. is facing a dramatic increase in almost every single state just before what is traditionally a peak time for holiday travel across the country, a time that often causes another virus — the flu — to spread.

As a result, health-care workers are begging Americans to stay home and to refrain from traveling or attending Thanksgiving celebrations.

Many say they feel that their warnings are being ignored and that Americans either are in denial or are simply not taking the coronavirus seriously enough.

Delusional COVID Truthers Try to Invade Hospital Where This Mom Died Too Soon

They don’t believe the ICU at Utah Valley Hospital is full of coronavirus patients. If only they were right.

A big red heart fashioned with five dozen Post-its was in one of the windows of the intensive care unit at Utah Valley Hospital when the conspiracy theorists pulled into a parking lot that they found to be suspiciously empty.

The heart was placed there by nurses to mark the room where one of their own died on Oct. 30. Neonatal intensive care nurse Patrice Grossman, who was born at the same hospital where she worked, had predicted when COVID-19 first arrived in America that she would be among the fatalities. She and seven other family members, beginning with her baby grandson, contracted it at home from out-of-state house guests who believed the virus is no big deal.

That belief is shared by the conspiracy theorists who made repeated visits to the hospital in recent weeks. They decided that the small number of cars outside the Provo facility was evidence that the pandemic is a hoax. They entered the hospital with video cameras seeking to film what they believed would be an equally empty ICU.

“It’s conspiracy theorists that believe what they’re being told is not accurate,” hospital administrator Kyle Hansen told the Provo city council last week. “They’re determined to videotape and capture the proof of that by accessing our facilities. We’ve had some people get really creative in how they’ve lied about coming in for an appointment or other things.”

None of the intruders seem to have gained entry to the ICU. But had they succeeded, they would have only been able to document it was in fact at full capacity, with a brave and dedicated staff under great physical and emotional strain. Had the intruders been less deluded they might have understood that the small number cars in the parking lot is explained by posted restrictions on visitors that are standard at hospitals during the pandemic. COVID-19 is not some minor illness where you might drive yourself to the hospital and leave your car outside for a few hours.

“We have an inordinate amount of phone calls that we’re receiving every day from the community wanting to know: ‘Is your ICU really full?’” Hansen told the council.

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

You seeing what I’m seeing?

nova is ****ed. About to be in bad shape. 

Everyone else around us is as well. It’s only a matter of time for us. People are tired of being restrained. It’s been 8 months, almost 9. Our businesses need to stay open because otherwise we are all poor. We’re just gonna have to let it burn through and hope we all get lucky.

I don’t see how schools are not closed by the state effective Tuesday for the foreseeable future.

there’s no way northam isn’t going to do that. Honestly I expected today to be the last day but I get why you could maybe be talked into holding off until next Tuesday logistics wise. 

Everything is better. Understanding of treatments, symptoms, precautions, etc. we know a lot more now. 

but the staffing issue didn’t get fixed cause <insert list of reasons> and ultimately it’s a numbers game and the numbers don’t lie. You only have so many beds, equipment, people and you can only treat so many people. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tshile said:

You seeing what I’m seeing?

nova is ****ed. About to be in bad shape. 

It is getting bad. My sister lives in Manassas and she just called and said my nephew and my brother-in-law tested positive for corvid. :(

My nephew only goes out to get groceries since my sister has a weak immune system. Really worried about the whole family but specially my sister. She is only 56. 

**** you covid-19!!!! 😡

• Sad 4

I wish them luck dude. 
it’s going to be nerve racking watching this unfold again. 

so frustrating that’s we didn’t prepare better. We’re such losers as a society. 

like... this was a test. And on the whole, measuring based on results, we failed. It doesn’t even matter why. As a group, we had a goal to meet, and we didn’t do it. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

"Being restrained"?  

Maybe it's just me, but the restrictions I'm under almost don't count.  

(I think they should be more._)  

Nor do they for me, but if you go to a grocery store or gym (I don’t really go to restaurants) you’ll find people all over not respecting social distance and wearing their masks improperly. And this is the Nova area, where people have been following the rules more closely.

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I hope Joe passes some sort of relief for first responders. They are literally risking their lives taking care of everyone during this pandemic.

I hope Joe passes some sort of relief for all Americans who can’t work when we lift restrictions again.

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Nor do they for me, but if you go to a grocery store or gym (I don’t really go to restaurants) you’ll find people all over not respecting social distance and wearing their masks improperly. And this is the Nova area, where people have been following the rules more closely.

Yes, and lots of people don't wash their hands after going potty, too.  

Lots of people are assholes.  (No doubt including myself, in some ways.)  

It's not "tired of being restrained".  It's "some people are jerks". 

• Like 2

So it looks like Trump isn't gonna do jack and the Senate won't force his hand.  Meaning unless GA runoff goes Dem AND the Dems are willing to do away with the filibuster, there isn't a damn thing Biden can do unless Jan 20 suddenly turns the lightbulb in GOP senators' head that maybe allowing hundreds of thousands of Americans die isn't such a hot idea.

You can't shut it down without a rescue package.  And rescue package doesn't appear to be coming.  I hope all the covid hoaxers at least have the decency to keep on believing that it's a hoax and not go running to the hospital when they get it.

Seven governors: Americans need to stay home this Thanksgiving

Opinion by Gretchen Whitmer, Mike DeWine, Tony Evers, Tim Walz, J.B. Pritzker, Eric Holcomb and Andy Beshear

Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat, is governor of Michigan. Mike DeWine, a Republican, is governor of Ohio. Tony Evers, a Democrat, is governor of Wisconsin. Tim Walz, a Democrat, is governor of Minnesota. J.B. Pritzker, a Democrat, is governor of Illinois. Eric Holcomb, a Republican, is governor of Indiana. Andy Beshear, a Democrat, is governor of Kentucky.

For eight months, the covid-19 pandemic has devastated American families everywhere. To fight this virus, governors across the country have listened to medical experts and worked around the clock to protect our families, the brave men and women on the front lines, and our small-business owners. No matter the action we take, we understand that our fight against covid-19 will be more effective when we work together.

That is why we, a group of bipartisan governors, are joining forces today to urge families across our region, and Americans everywhere, to do their part to protect themselves and their loved ones from the spread of covid-19. When it comes to fighting this virus, we are all on the same team.

Right now, cases and hospitalizations are skyrocketing in the Midwest and across the country. As the weather gets colder and more people head inside, it will get worse. It is more important than ever that we double down on mask-wearing and physical distancing to help more people get through the winter and protect those on the front lines of this crisis — our doctors, nurses, grocery store workers and truck drivers.

With Thanksgiving around the corner, we urge all Americans to stay smart and follow recommendations from medical experts: Get together with your family via Zoom to ensure your loved ones stay safe. If you are planning to spend Thanksgiving with people outside your household, we urge you to reconsider. Think about your last Thanksgiving and the people you were surrounded by — your parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters, neighbors and friends, or the family you have chosen for yourself. Picture their faces — laughing with you, watching football with you or even arguing with you about politics. As hard as it will be to not see them this Thanksgiving, imagine how much harder it would be if their chairs are empty next year.