Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

8 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

As our President just announced it tonitght, we're back into Quarantine mode starting this very Friday!!!

Woot!!!

Well maybe not as it'll probably ends up past Christmas 😭

Here we go for another mess....

M Arrogant who told us back in July that we're ready for the second wave :wtf::stop:

We were second to USA on October 25th in terms of positive cases, if you put these numbers in perspective we're number one  https://infogram.com/cas-quotidiens-le-25-octobre-1h984w95oq3d6p3

Despite all this mess I still want to believe we'll be out for X-Mas

Edited by FrFan

On 10/27/2020 at 1:38 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

I think I am going to be in the hospital the entire week. Had my dialysis session yesterday. The brought a machine in my room. Left there, since will need it on wed and fri.

We're praying for you my friend.  You're going to get through this and get better.

• Thanks 1

Just now, purbeast said:

Don't worry though guys!

After November 3rd, the virus will magically disappear!

/s

That's what I heard from my management at work.  They opened the dining room without discussing it with the staff.  The general manager is now waiting tables.

I "magically" retired. :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A new coronavirus variant is seen spreading across Europe, research says

A variant of the coronavirus that is believed to have originated in Spain has spread across Europe and now accounts for most of the new cases reported in several countries in the region, according to the findings of a new study.

The research, which is due to published on Thursday and has not been peer reviewed, details how an international team of scientists has closely monitored the coronavirus through its genetic mutations.

Each variant of the coronavirus has its own genetic signature, meaning it can be traced back to the place it first emerged.

It says a new variant of the disease, identified as 20A.EU1 by researchers from Switzerland and Spain, was first observed in Spain in June. The new variant has been recorded in Spain at frequencies of above 40% since July, the study said.

Elsewhere, the new variant of the coronavirus has increased from “very low” values prior to July 15 to 40% to 70% in Switzerland, Ireland, and the U.K. in September. It was also found to be prevalent in Norway, Latvia, the Netherlands, and France.

Researchers of the study said they had no direct evidence to suggest the new variant of the virus spreads faster than other mutations, despite the rise in frequency across multiple countries.

It also said there was currently no data to assess the severity of the disease, and while 20A.EU1 was dominant in some countries, it had not taken over everywhere and diverse variants of the coronavirus “continue to circulate across Europe.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

https://kroc.com/the-trump-rally-has-been-moved-from-rochester/

I'm very happy.  Our local officials wouldn't back down on the mask mandate, and Trump is relocating his stupid super-spreader rally to another town.  Good riddance.

Still going to be a mess for our region.  Local projections of case burden over the next two months jumped when they announced the rally.  He's killing people.

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Europe struggling with 2nd surge of COVID-19 case, and it may be worse than the 1st

Europe is now battling a second surge of COVID-19 cases, and many worry it could be worse than the first.

The continent now accounts for 46% of global coronavirus cases, and nearly a third of total related deaths. This month, both France and Spain have declared states of emergency, imposing more restrictions to try to ease up pressure on hospital ICU departments.

In France, more than half of ICU beds are occupied by COVID-19 patients, according to the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health.

Dr. Jean-Francois Delfraissy, a senior French physician and the president of the scientific council that reports to the government, warned that the country has "lost control of the epidemic," after health authorities reported more than 52,000 new cases. He said that the council estimates that the true figure could well be closer to 100,000 daily cases, accounting for asymptomatic cases and those who haven't been tested.

While European countries are testing citizens for the virus at a faster rate than during the first wave, in the spring, there are other trends that may explain why the virus has returned with a vengeance.

Research from King's College London and Imperial College London indicates that antibodies protecting people against COVID-19 have a limited presence in the body after infection -- a theory that has thrown arguments in favor of herd immunity into disarray.

Many European countries are global tourist destinations, and in the summer, after several months of nearly universal lockdown across borders, governments relaxed travel restrictions. This allowed families and tourists to travel -- both domestically and to nearby countries -- after spending several months at home.

But young people in Europe were blamed for spreading the virus as nations eased lockdown measures. The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control reported that the median age of people infected declined from 54 during the period of January to May, down to 39 in June and July.

An American dies from COVID-19 every 107 seconds

Experts say "there's no way to sugarcoat" this. The U.S. set a record this week for new coronavirus cases over a seven-day period with more than 500,000 infections. Daily deaths are also climbing, along with hospitalizations rates that have been rising steadily for more than a month. Globally, India surpassed 8 million coronavirus cases Thursday, moving closer to surpassing the U.S. for the most infections in the world.

The stats are scary: An American is dying every 107 seconds of COVID-19. An American is testing positive every 1.2 seconds.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, had breakfast. Doctor filled out discharge papers. Waiting on dialysis.

Will  need to be quarantined for a week. Social worker setting things up. Everything still on tap to go home later today.

How are you feeling?  Any lingering symptoms?