Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Q3 numbers are predicated on some semblance of return to normalcy.

If OMB is saying economy may not fully recover until 2030, I don't get any hope for a v-type recovery. Our country is filling up like a bathtub while Europe is losing patience with us.

Optimism and Arrogance are not the same thing. Disney World shouldn't be open, is Mickey Mouse doing contract tracing?

We need to start thinking new normal and plan from there. Old normal died waiting for us to get our **** together.

Imagine attacking your own head of the Covid task force you created with oppo research. And then thinking this would help the nation get through this crisis.  Why not just fire Fauci and be done with it?

People actually think this is perfectly acceptable behavior.  smh  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

US stats still show covid19 mortality rate at 4%. Not sure why anyone would think its 1%.

137k deaths out of 3.37 mil cases. 

That's 40x the mortality rate of the normal flu btw.

I've been wondering that myself. I see lots of right wingers on twitter and elsewhere talk about how covid-19 has a mortality rate of .1%

If that were true, we'd have around 3,370 deaths. 

Now, it's very very likely that we don't have a real tally on how many people actually have covid-19, so realistically the mortality rate is probably lower than 4%. But I think it's still definitely going to be way over .1%. Even if there are 5 times as many people who have it as have tested positive that's still around 1% which is still 10 times as lethal as the seasonal flu. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 2

@The Evil Genius @mistertim

The number of Americans who have been infected with the novel coronavirus is likely 10 times higher than the number of cases reported, according to the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In a call with reporters Thursday, CDC Director Robert Redfield said, “Our best estimate right now is that for every case that’s reported, there actually are 10 other infections

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/25/coronavirus-live-updates-us/%3foutputType=amp

I’ve also seen some who think it may be more. It’s minimum 10x the number infected. I’m by no means on the side of hey dont worry, but this number has been out there since the beginning. Either way it’s incredibly dangerous and by no means something I want to get. 

• Thanks 2

Don't forget that we are also dramatically undercounting the deaths from COVID, so the effect on CFR (Case Fatality Rate) from undercounting cases will be less.  Non-COVID deaths are up dramatically this year, mostly from "pneumonia" which is likely undiagnosed COVID, or secondary bacterial infection that was enabled by COVID.  Experts I've talked to think the actually CFR is in the 2-3% range.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Don't forget that we are also dramatically undercounting the deaths from COVID, so the effect on CFR (Case Fatality Rate) from undercounting cases will be less.  Non-COVID deaths are up dramatically this year, mostly from "pneumonia" which is likely undiagnosed COVID, or secondary bacterial infection that was enabled by COVID.  Experts I've talked to think the actually CFR is in the 2-3% range.  

This was what I was going to point out as well. Yes, the actual people infected may be up to 10x higher, but most experts I've read or listened to have said that the death count is also very much undercounted most likely. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

US stats still show covid19 mortality rate at 4%. Not sure why anyone would think its 1%.

137k deaths out of 3.37 mil cases. 

That's 40x the mortality rate of the normal flu btw.

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This was what I was going to point out as well. Yes, the actual people infected may be up to 10x higher, but most experts I've read or listened to have said that the death count is also very much undercounted most likely. 

It was an example to help people understand better small stastics put to large numbers, noted that in the post.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 3

I thought I saw the CDC come out with a stat likely taking into account the number of untested infections and putting the mortality rate at around .26 percent.

Which would still result in roughly 200K deaths, if you compare it to a bad flu season like we had a couple years ago.

If you allow yourself to forget the mistakes that we made prior to early March, I just wonder what the anti-shutdown folks are recommending the steps we shouldve done. I think a lot was saving people from themselves. Even though there have been stats indicating restaurant bookings were starting to plummet before the shutdown, do you think a lot of, say, folks 50 and older wouldve shut themselves in from going to bars unless they were forced to? And as for the "preexisting" conditions argument...almost everyone has one.

Bottom line is I dont think the shutdowns could've been avoided, especially since we blew earlier opportunities.

• Like 1

So many stupid people...

‘I think I made a mistake’: Young man from Texas dies after attending COVID-19 party

A San Antonio doctor says a man in his 30s who thought the coronavirus was a “hoax” died from the disease after attending a COVID-19 party.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer at San Antonio’s Methodist Hospital, says lately she’s been hearing about COVID-19 parties, which young people allegedly attend to see who gets infected first or who can survive the virus.

“Someone will be diagnosed with the disease, and they’ll have a party to invite their friends over to see if they can beat the disease,” Appleby said.

The doctor says a 30-year-old man recently died at the hospital after attending one of these parties.

“One of the things that was heart-wrenching that he said to his nurse was, ‘You know, I think I made a mistake.' And this young man went to a COVID party,” she said. “He didn’t really believe. He thought the disease was a hoax. He thought he was young and invincible and wouldn’t get affected by the disease.”

Click on the link for the full article

------------------------------------

Fact check: Metal strip in medical masks is not a 5G antenna

Social media users have been sharing a video in which a man claims that a metal strip in medical masks is a 5G antenna. This claim is untrue. 

Examples can be seen here  and here 

A voice narrates: “Yes, indeed. The antenna killer 5G antenna killer that’s inside the masks that they are telling everybody to wear. Now for everybody that don’t speak Hebrew, this video came out in Hebrew saying they wanted to show you the number one killer inside the masks. So, we took this here out which is a 5G antenna that’s inside the mask, right.” The narrator then shows the metal strip that is inside the top part of a medical mask, used to mold the mask around the user’s nose. 

He continues: “They tell you to put it on so that you can breathe right above your nostrils so you can inhale and it can go straight to your brain and begin to destroy. Like they say they kill people in the First World War, the Second World War, through antennas, through the 5G. Not 5G, 5G is new now. But, this was one of the ways, one of the mechanisms in which they used to kill a whole lot of people so for those people who keep running out, grabbing these masks and trusting in the system, and the way in doing things the way everybody telling them to do it, alright these are the chances you take.” The man then advises watchers to make their own masks instead.  

The metal strip in medical masks serves quite a different purpose. A spokesperson for 3M, which makes protective equipment, told Reuters via email that the metal strip in their surgical masks allows them to “be shaped to form against the wearer’s nose to help provide a better fit.” 

Being good against the virus in vitro is a long way from efficacy in humans, but it's a start.

Coronavirus: Llamas provide key to immune therapy

As Fifi the llama munches on grass on a pasture in Reading, her immune system has provided the template for a coronavirus treatment breakthrough.

Scientists from the UK's Rosalind Franklin Institute have used Fifi's specially evolved antibodies to make an immune-boosting therapy.

The resulting llama-based, Covid-specific "antibody ****tail" could enter clinical trials within months.

The development is published in Nature Structural and Molecular Biology.

It involves "engineering" llama antibodies, which are relatively small, and much more simply structured than the antibodies in our own blood. That size and structure means they can be "redesigned" in the lab.

The small re-engineered part of the llama antibody is also known as a nanobody, said Prof Naismith.

"In the lab, we can make nanobodies that kill the live virus extremely well - better than almost anything we've seen," he added. "They're incredibly good at killing the virus in culture."

2 hours ago, bcl05 said:

I'm sure I fall into that category. I was diagnosed with "pneumonia " in February, but it was an excruciating ordeal that lasted (in some capacity) for a month.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I nominate Charles Darwin for Time's Man of the Year 2020. 🤦‍♂️

No good.  Trump and many of his followers have already bred, so those genes are being passed on.

1 hour ago, China said:

Being good against the virus in vitro is a long way from efficacy in humans, but it's a start.

Coronavirus: Llamas provide key to immune therapy

As Fifi the llama munches on grass on a pasture in Reading, her immune system has provided the template for a coronavirus treatment breakthrough.

Scientists from the UK's Rosalind Franklin Institute have used Fifi's specially evolved antibodies to make an immune-boosting therapy.

The resulting llama-based, Covid-specific "antibody ****tail" could enter clinical trials within months.

The development is published in Nature Structural and Molecular Biology.

It involves "engineering" llama antibodies, which are relatively small, and much more simply structured than the antibodies in our own blood. That size and structure means they can be "redesigned" in the lab.

The small re-engineered part of the llama antibody is also known as a nanobody, said Prof Naismith.

"In the lab, we can make nanobodies that kill the live virus extremely well - better than almost anything we've seen," he added. "They're incredibly good at killing the virus in culture."

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

It was -pointed out like 3 weeks ago that you can go to the CDC web page, and do data searches for all kinds of things.  

And if you do a search on the number of deaths in Florida, from pneumonia, for the months of Feb-May, for the last 20 years. . . . . 

What you get is 19 years of 900 +/- 20.  And this year, 2,700.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2