Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I get the increased testing angle, but when you factor in the “excess deaths,” from pneumonia in nearly every state, we’ve failed on a massive scale.

Some of the survivors will potentially live with weakened respiratory systems for the rest of their lives (from what my doctor friends tell me). We don’t know yet. 

• Sad 1

I know a young lady in Jacksonville who is 28, was a scholarship volleyball player for South Florida U and has run 1-2 marathons a year for a decade.  5’ 10’, 135, total hammer, can drink Jager and sing karaoke all night.  Will steal all your cigarettes.  Registered nurse.

She has been absolutely wrecked with COVID since early June.  Now, she’s gonna live for sure.  But, we’re talking 103 fever and hard flu on and off for three weeks, no appetite, no energy.  She’s feeling ok now for a couple weeks but...she’s broke, she hasn’t really seen any family/friends in a month and she’s battling crushing depression.

Dont catch it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 11

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yeah, the reality of this hit harder today than it did yesterday. The new case numbers are staggering. And the country is rudderless on the pandemic, the economy & the school reopening. 

The next six months will be rough.

The time between the election and Biden’s inauguration will be the among the darkest 90 days in our living national history.

This time next year, prolly pretty good.  Make necessary preparations.

Settling in for the long pandemic

I wouldn't call it a breaking point, necessarily, but it feels like we've reached a moment in the pandemic when things are starting to change. There's been a shift, a dawning that normal isn't just going to come back. That things will not simply get better anytime soon.

While rationally it's been clear for quite some time that life won't fully resume until we have a vaccine, there'd still been some wiggle room to play games with yourself: by Memorial Day, by the Fourth, by September, by Election Day it might be different. Confronted now as we are, though, with the onset of the second half of the year, and no significant progress having been made toward mitigating the threat of the virus, many of us are having to come to terms, for the first time, with the looming pandemic long-haul.

Discussions in the news this week about how to handle the fall school semester have also reinforced the realization that we are still very much in the thick of the pandemic. A number of major universities have said they will not be back on campus by September, something that would have been unthinkable back in early March. Likewise, New York City — the largest school district in the U.S. — has confirmed that students will not be returning to in-person class five days a week in the fall. That life will remain suspended for thousands, if not eventually millions, of students, seems the biggest indicator so far of our indefinite limbo.

For me, strangest of all has been my dawning realization that December 31 — the latest benchmark I'd unconsciously picked to stake my hopes upon — doesn't mean any more than Memorial Day or Labor Day had at one point. Just because experts can all but assure "we will not reach pre-corona life" this year doesn't mean that magically things will be like they were on January 1, 2020 by January 1, 2021. By one estimate "the U.S. won't return to its pre-COVID-19 normal until August 2021"; by another, it won't be until "2022." In actuality, no one can really have any idea when normal will resume, or what it will even look like when it does.

Click on the link for the full analysis

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

where did you get the 800k number?

google...

People also ask

How many people die from heart attacks each year?
Approximately 1.5 million heart attacks and strokes occur every year in the United States. More than 800,000 people in the United States die from cardiovascular disease each year—that's 1 in every 3 deaths, and about 160,000 of them occur in people under age 65

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

3 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

What would coronavirus kill without the lockdown?  2 million?  3 million?  

Now, let's suppose that heart attack kills 800k, and coronavirus kills 200k, this still means 200k on top of 800k. So a million or so. That's an increase of 25% (200×100/800)

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

google...

I googled it and couldn’t find it. Please educate me/us with an actual source.

Edit: also please remember when you educate us that having a heart attack isn’t the same as dying from it. Also, heart disease includes other forms of death, and the number I could find even for that was 640k annually, which is 20% off your number in the best case.

Edited by wrilbo67

2 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

What would coronavirus kill without the lockdown?  2 million?  3 million?  

Now, let's suppose that heart attack kills 800k, and coronavirus kills 200k, this still means 200k on top of 800k. So a million or so. That's an increase of 25% (200×100/800)

I was just talking about choosing to take NSIDs or not as a heart health tool in the face of the corona pandemic, not downplaying corona..

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

20 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

your still more likely to die from a heart attack than covid... 800K die from a heart attack each year

I would stay on them but obs consider the source with your health,

8 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

Just now, wrilbo67 said:

A quick search showss 647,000 die of heart disease every year.  The 800K number is the number of heart attacks, not the number of deaths from heart attack.

https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

About 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.2,3

Every year, about 805,000 Americans have a heart attack.3 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The amount of people killed by heart disease in 2016 really has nothing to do with our current situation.

Even Cowgirls can understand that.

Someone asked if they should take aspirin... i would say yes since an individual is more likely to die from heart disease than corona virus....

6 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

Edit: also please remember when you educate us that having a heart attack isn’t the same as dying from it. Also, heart disease includes other forms of death, and the number I could find even for that was 640k annually, which is 20% off your number in the best case.

Uh no, the link i provided says died from. All you got to do is read.

https://millionhearts.hhs.gov/learn-prevent/cost-consequences.html

But, so what, what’s your point? I wouldn’t stop taking aspirin as part of a health regiment because of covid.

Yeah, the 800k was wrong to begin with. To add to that, we’re in mid July and closing on 140k COVID deaths, and that’s not counting the excess pneumonia deaths we can’t explain. And I’d be willing to bet money we’ll easily top 200k covid deaths this year.

if I found a way to prevent 200k heart disease deaths in the us annually, I’d be on the short list for a Nobel prize. But I’m supposed to believe that the same number of covid deaths is media hysteria.