Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

No medical professional (myself included) advocated for shutting down simply to shut down.  The entire point was to shut down to buy time, reduce the peak, and build infrastructure.  We should have been spending every second of the shut down organizing a systematic, data-driven, comprehensive testing and contact tracing system.  If we had that, we could reopen safely, with much greater knowledge of where the virus is, who is at risk, etc.  We could have also spent that time emphasizing and educating about the critical importance of handwashing, social distancing, and mask wearing.  

Instead, we had a devastating economic shutdown with minimal progress and benefit.  The idiots in charge did not lead, and we are going to reopen in a far less organized and far less safe way than needed to happen.  The number of cases and number of deaths is far worse than it had to be, and is going to get worse again.

Competence would have helped in this crisis.   

• Like 19
  • Sad 1

Just now, Llevron said:

I dont understand why people want to compare this to the flu. 

in all but a minute percentage of such comparisons you can safely go with any one of the below (or in combination)

a. lack of competency in critical thinking skills

b. willful and assertive ignorance

c. lazy-brain

• Thanks 1

how about there are reasons that science categorizes this as something other than a flu...might that be a significant clue to check on what the differences are?...no, not to a party of politicize-everything science-deniers...of course everything thing these troglodytes value in life...phones, guns, vehicles, tv, internet, electricity, plumbing, effective medical treatment, etc. all come from the realm of science/engineering and other reality/fact-based practices

little of it comes from the types who sit in mega-churches chanting and babbling to the fairly-tale beings that they have made up and preach a morality that they don't practice, among many other things harmful to a truly decent and fair society

sad sad sad specimens of humanity

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Btw, Virginia’s numbers are in for today.

And they are unpleasant.  Northam’s decision to re-open the restaurants on an 82 degree Friday isn’t looking very smart right now.

Speaking of Northam, I've been seeing several shots of him out and about sans mask.  Are these typical photoshop or dated photos or legit?  Not a good look when you don't practice what you preach.  

27 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

in all but a minute percentage of such comparisons you can safely go with any one of the below (or in combination)

a. lack of competency in critical thinking skills

b. willful and assertive ignorance

c. lazy-brain

Cutting education funding is an efficient way to address all three of those, and saves money.

Let's face it, the powers that be want us dumb and they are winning right now.  And they want us angry at each other over it instead of them.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Speaking of Northam, I've been seeing several shots of him out and about sans mask.  Are these typical photoshop or dated photos or legit?  Not a good look when you don't practice what you preach.  

Wait, so Governor Blackface isn't a shinning example for the rest of us? 

I thought we knew that already.

2092015258_giphy(72).gif.bbf76a6abf05c2dd423ae61928ddb687.gif

• Like 1

how about we again start with a simple fact---too many aspects of context and nature of these different events are significantly different :) 

i.e.---drownings, car accidents, drunk driving, etc are not contagious (but with the acknowledgement that they can harm the person who isn't drunk, or even driving)...but you can't get into your own later, separate, car accident by being exposed to someone who had a car accident

that's just the tip of the iceberg of fallacies and flawed thinking re: 99% of these comparisons

btw, we have by dint of public action and effort established all kinds of major movements and/or laws and other means long-dedicated to managing and minimizing exactly such things as drunk driving, drowning, and  innumerable other forms of accidents, spending billions of $$ annually and much people-energy on all of it...it's still a constant fight for progress and better legislation on most such things sure enough

but the recognition of the issues being real issues and society having adjusted to  major costs and efforts annually for many years to address them is there to a much higher degree than current viral pandemic threats, threats which are on the rise for many logical, predictable reasons

some may even remember those dark days when they stripped americans of their freedoms with interstate and state hwy speed limits of 55-65 and seat belt laws---that's also how many gopers saw those moves back in the day and bitterly protested them ("the left wants a nanny state")

and all the lives subsequently saved hasn't changed that deeply ingrained---and inherently, deeply, hypocritical---mindset with many gopers...that's just context for the attitude, not suggesting the speeding/belt issues or ways needed to address them or of similar level

there are some valid points, mostly of over-arching nature, to discuss in challenge to protecting people from various forms of death/harm---more of the nature of what kind of society is sought and how many are in support vs opposed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Btw, Virginia’s numbers are in for today.

And they are unpleasant.  Northam’s decision to re-open the restaurants on an 82 degree Friday isn’t looking very smart right now.

and for all the concern (appropriate imv) georgia, one month in, is showing legitimate-sourced data (still limited given the early stage of this virus) that rates have been steady, not rising any notable degree...it will be two more months more or less before such info is more substantially reassuring to the informed, but it beats an immediately registered uptick and should be noted

to their credit, georgia has increased testing big time and the governor is still saying it needs to expand even more and they still need to treat this very seriously (however you want to take that)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We have to maintain and foster economic activity to some degree.  State tax revenue funds our police, our fire depts, our utility infrastructure and many, many other essential municipal services.

Last number I saw said that in the most recent monthly numbers, consumer spending was down 16%.  

Not a trivial amount.  Especially since I've also read that consumer spending accounts for 80% of GDP.  But it's not a complete shutdown of the economy, either.  

I think a good chunk of the problem is the GOP's adamant insistence that they will not permit the government to do anything to help cushion the blow to individuals, beyond the trivial amount they've done, once.  Trillions for corporations, not one dime for citizens.  

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

Competence would have helped in this crisis.   

Incompetence being quieter would have helped this crisis.  :) 

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

By Halloween we may be comparing this to the war on terror (in terms of # of American casualties)

Think I read yesterday, this thing has already killed more people that the Vietnam war, and every war since, combined.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

https://www.recoverytrial.net/files/professional-downloads/recovery_noticetoinvestigators_2020-05-24_1422.pdf

https://www.recoverytrial.net/

Mehra from The Lancet

Dr. Mehra is a consultant for Abbott, Medtronic, Janssen (a division of Johnson and Johnson), Stealth Biotherapeutics, Teva (now Mesoblast), NupulseCV, Inc., Portola, Xogenex, Bayer; and is on the Scientific Advisory Board for NupulseCV and FineHeart

madib-r.jpg

Edited by FrFan

Well right now were down to about 500 deaths per day.  If that holds we'd end up with another 81,000 dead.  If we get a second wave and the average daily deaths go back up then I would expect it to be higher and we might hit the quarter million mark.

13 minutes ago, China said:

Well right now were down to about 500 deaths per day.  If that holds we'd end up with another 81,000 dead.  If we get a second wave and the average daily deaths go back up then I would expect it to be higher and we might hit the quarter million mark.

That was just yesterday. Most weekdays will most likely be between 1,000-1,500 for awhile.

• Thanks 1