Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Update: just been texting with Chew...

His FIL is doing better. They've been able to turn his ventilator down and bring him out of sedation periodically, he can blink 1 yes, 2 no. This is a miracle, folks, so please keep the good thoughts coming. 

He sends thanks & love to the ES fam, and is extremely happy with the draft. 💜🏈🙏

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

So question.  I’ve never been much into snake oil, but obviously ultraviolet light kills bacteria and viruses.  It presumably kills Covid.

So what of the opinion of installing a screw in UV light bulb in your home/garage/etc to prevent the spread of the virus?

Not trying to sound like Donald Trump here... just sounding a little like Donald Trump.

Any smart people with an opinion?

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So question.  I’ve never been much into snake oil, but obviously ultraviolet light kills bacteria and viruses.  It presumably kills Covid.

So what of the opinion of installing a screw in UV light bulb in your home/garage/etc to prevent the spread of the virus?

Not trying to sound like Donald Trump here... just sounding a little like Donald Trump.

Any smart people with an opinion?

Germicidal UV lamps are very dangerous to human skin. It’s used in some bio labs for disinfecting surfaces and the outer layers of materials but definitely not recommended for home use.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

In Maryland (not sure what the starred numbers mean)

Number of Confirmed Cases
Last 24 hours: +815By Age Range and Gender
Age/Gender Cases Deaths  
0-9 212    
10-19 463    
20-29 2,097 (4)  
30-39 3,109 (12) 1*
40-49 3,270 (18) 2*
50-59 3,414 (54) 5*
60-69 2,651 (117) 9*
70-79 1,837 (185) 12*
80+ 1,528 (305) 41*
Age Data Not Available   (132) 13*
Female: 9,963 (400) 48*
Male: 8,618 (427) 35*
Gender Data Not Available:      

By Race and Ethnicity

Race/Ethnicity Cases Deaths  
African-American (NH) 6,742 (305) 24*
Asian (NH) 363 (30) 2*
White (NH) 4276 (301) 44*
Hispanic 2,841 (46)  
Other (NH) 707 (11)  
Data Not Available 3,652 (134) 13*

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

(Uh, Rudy?  Trump was President in 2017.)  

He got the year wrong...he meant to say 2015. I think he's trying to resuscitate the narrative that the spread of the coronavirus is Obama's fault that didn't really get any traction several weeks ago when Trump was set up with the softball question (probably by an OAN network reporter) and he hinted about the funding being under Obama's watch.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

I wanted to add a little more to this, because I can see some who use politics in this debate running with this story without knowing anything about it other than what Rudy and Trump tell them...would rather nip it in the bud.

giphy.gif

The whole issue Rudy is alluding to stems from an article in the Daily Mail, a tabloid-ish paper in England that specializes more in sensationalist headlines than accurate stories. As I mentioned, I'm pretty sure the reporter who asked Trump about this was from the extremely right-wing "news" group OANN, and if so it comes across rather strongly as a set-up question meant to help Trump deflect blame.

The grant was issued in 2014 and was spread out over 6 years and was NOT given to the Wuhan Lab in China. It was given to the EcoHealth Alliance which is here in the United States and collaborates with Shi Zhengli, a virologist with the Wuhan Institute of Virology. And the Wuhan Institute collaborates with a lot of American institutions, including Harvard. Not sure how much (if any) of the grant was then given to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, but if any was it is abso-stinkin-lutely guarantee to be far less than $3.7M. You can say it doesn't matter how much was provided to Wuhan, any amount is too much...but a headline saying "Obama gave $12.50 to the Wuhan Lab in China" doesn't quite have the same impact lol...

From the interwebs:

"The grant was awarded from 2014-2019. It is not from 2015. This is an R01 grant, which means it's initiated by investigators and peer-reviewed. R01s are not given by presidents. If you want to tag it to Obama, you also must tag it to Trump--which is equally wrong."

So the grant is not ongoing--ended last year. The grant was not given to the Wuhan Lab in China, it was given to the EcoHealth Alliance here in America. The grant was not $3.7M sent in one payment, it was an average of about $600K per year, with only a fraction of that making its way to anyone related to the Wuhan Lab. It was not issued by Obama nor reviewed by him, I don't even think he knew about it and from the info I'm reading, there would be no reason for him to know.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Who has fallen farther than Rudy Giuliani from a position of esteem to one of derision and ridicule?  He has descended from outstanding leadership of New York City in the aftermath of 9/11 to political hackery and deceitfulness.  I can't think of anyone other than Bill Cosby and OJ Simpson who has fallen harder.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 9