Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I’m going with the 1st amendment to start with.

I know we all have to make a lot of changes due to the virus.  And even suspending/altering some rights.  But I am extremely hesitant to limit the 1st amendment.  

I agree in general but I think this is also a pretty grey area in many ways.

One one hand, people have the right to peaceably assemble. On the other hand there are limits to the 1st amendment when it comes to people doing things like inciting violence/illegal activities, or causing physical harm to others. I could see a case made for it being something that is likely to bring physical harm and death to others...albeit in a more indirect way.

These protests are absolute breeding grounds for new covid-19 vectors. You have hundreds of people packed into small spaces, most of whom are not wearing any PPE like masks or gloves (many times on purpose as part of their "protest"), and most of whom are yelling and screaming which is going to inject plenty of respiratory droplets into the immediate area. We know how contagious this virus is and we've already seen plenty of examples where just one or two infected people in a confined and crowded area can lead to scores of others in the same place being infected. From there, who knows how many eventually get it as well. 

These protest could potentially lead to tens of thousands of additional deaths, given how many of them there are, the number of people at them, and how they seem to keep happening at an increasing rate. That gives me pause about just saying "First Amendment" and brushing it off. And the politics is irrelevant. I'd have the same reservations if it were people doing the exact same thing but protesting Trump. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Honestly, I wish news organizations wouldn't give the protesters any attention. We all know the propaganda networks like FOX will, but that's beside the point. 

Yeah, I was flipping channels earlier this morning & stopped on FOX to see what crazy **** was happening. The host - no idea who it was - was just starting an interview with the woman who organized the Minnesota protests. He congratulated her for the great turnout then the camera moved to her. Her coat had "MAGASOTA" on her chest. I turned the channel, went upstairs, & showered. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I do find the irony in the fact that our precious 1st amendment is exactly what has ****ed us. 

No it's not.  

The First Amendment gives Laura Ingram and Fex News and the First Toddler the right to intentionally inspire riots on command.  But the fact that they chose to push that red button on their cdesk is entirely on them.  

Analogy:  The problem isn't that Nazis have the First Amendment.  The problem is that they're Nazis.  

(Signed, ACLU member.)

• Like 4

Florida beach is crowded within 30 MINUTES of reopening at 5pm, despite state recording 1,413 new COVID-19 cases - its highest one-day increase since the pandemic crisis began

Crowds of beachgoers have charged on to the beaches in Jacksonville, Florida after the shores reopened to the public despite the coronavirus pandemic. 

Jacksonville beaches reopened at 5pm on Friday under limited hours and use restrictions, even as Florida recorded its highest single-day increase in confirmed coronavirus cases.

Photos and video from the scene show enthusiastic residents cheering as they ran out onto the sand after weeks of closures. 

27342426-8229933-image-a-5_1587180326499

27342264-8229933-image-m-8_1587180341182

27342430-8229933-image-a-3_1587180318009

Florida Department of Health said confirmed cases in the state rose by 1,421 Friday, the highest one-day number yet. The total number of cases in Florida is now 24,753. The number of deaths has reached 726, an increase of 58 in the last 24 hours.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

I mean if i didn't have any savings or food for my children, you damn right i would be asking the govt to reopen so i can go back to work.   I would be willing to take that chance in order to feed my family. Alot of people are thinking this and i dont blame them. 

Edited by skinfan2k
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Thoughts? Contact those groups protesting in Minnesota, Michigan & Virginia to let them know they need to have a march in DC to protest this ridiculous decision. 

They don't care. If it didn't come from Trump's **** cannon they don't believe it. That's why it's a cult and not a political movement. To them Trump, and the networks/talking heads who echo him, are the only real source of truth. Everything else is fake or some deep state conspiracy against him. They'll even say it about the military if it contradicts the Dear Leader...their whole shtick about loving the military only goes so far. We saw that with the McCain thing. Trump slandered and disparaged a (Republican) POW and war hero and his followers fell right in line and supported it.

I honestly think there is simply no hope for those people and that the best we can aim for is to simply minimize their effectiveness and influence as much as possible until they either die of old age or covid-19. They are lost causes in so many ways.

5 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I mean if i didn't have any savings or food for my children, you damn right i would be asking the govt to reopen so i can go back to work.   I would be willing to take that chance in order to feed my family. Alot of people are thinking this and i dont blame them. 

I can understand the sentiment but I think we need to be more honest about this. These are pro-Trump, anti-Democrat rallies and not much else. Otherwise, they'd be happening in a bunch of red states with Republican governors as well, since most of them have the exact same stay at home and shutdown orders.To me it's a little like the "protesters" in Charlottesville years back. They claimed it was about monuments but everyone knew it was just a bunch of racists getting together to be racist.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Wow, I don't even see any face coverings in those photos. Baffling to observe after living in California COVID-19 lockdown for a month. You can't go outside here without seeing 60% of  passersby in face coverings of some kind.

Floridians really are a different level of stupid. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Smart thing would be choosing government officials that doesn't gut social safety nets so that its not death by starving or death by covid-19.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I’m going with the 1st amendment to start with.

I know we all have to make a lot of changes due to the virus.  And even suspending/altering some rights.  But I am extremely hesitant to limit the 1st amendment.  

I think we should all be extremely hesitant and fight tooth and nail to alter or suspend All of our rights. This isn’t a give and trade. This is what we all have and earned. 

28 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

The better play would be to have the government protect its people by giving it a proper social safety net. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

That's completely understandable. I'd even take it a step further... I just wouldn't even ask the government. I'd just do what I have to do.... and deal with the consequences thereafter. And I would expect any other person to do the same, under the circumstances.

But all those beach and church goers aren't asking for permission. So you think they're going to do ask for permission for their livelihood?

Do we really think that this will remain as 'peaceful' protests?

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Wow, I don't even see any face coverings in those photos. Baffling to observe after living in California COVID-19 lockdown for a month. You can't go outside here without seeing 60% of  passersby in face coverings of some kind.

Floridians really are a different level of stupid. 

you just know they aint washing hands or anything else for that matter

7 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

That's completely understandable. I'd even take it a step further... I just wouldn't even ask the government. I'd just do what I have to do.... and deal with the consequences thereafter. And I would expect any other person to do the same, under the circumstances.

But all those beach and church goers aren't asking for permission. So you think they're going to do ask for permission for their livelihood?

Do we really think that this will remain as 'peaceful' protests?

the protestors are basically paid mercenaries, like the Koch Brother tea party protestors. They aren’t dying for anything or anyone.

• Like 1

Aren’t there social distancing/large gathering rules in a lot of these states?  I thought people were being stopped and their cars checked?  There are definitely limits to first amendment rights and people have been arrested, fined or worse for less than these folks have done.  The more they get away with it, the more others will think it’s ok to break the rules and start getting out as well.  Do people not realize how dangerous this is?

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

In a week or two I honestly expect Trump to get on television and declare that it's over and everything should return to normal, and for the states that don't comply, he will try to withhold federal funding ,although I don't think this would be a good move for him with the undecided voters 

34 minutes ago, Supernatural24 said:

the protestors are basically paid mercenaries, like the Koch Brother tea party protestors. They aren’t dying for anything or anyone.

Don't suppose you've got any support for that claim?  

I did see one post claiming that Bettsy de Vos paid for the protest.  But then the "support" was more like "A PAC related to de Vos paid like $200 to (Facebook?), to run an ad for the protest."  Which really isn't all that close to that claim.  

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

They aren't gonna find much food for their kids on the beach...