Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

This is just one processor but if the nations food supply starts to get threatened **** is really going to start hitting the fan

Yep - guess who works most of these food production plants (meat & veggies)? And it ain't Jared & Ivanka...

• Sad 1

The supply chain breakdown for pork is worth watching.  I personally think it is disgusting that farmers were destroying eggs and dumping milk -- something that should not be allowed in a crisis (but don't get the full story).  

Our family made contact with close family friends this weekend.  Just one other family. I wore a mask.  

I just was told tonight that a friend of a friend passed away.  They had a daughter same age as my daughter.  Didn't have a good feeling when wife started conversation with, "do you remember Susan whose family we met thru mutual friend?".  Well Susan's dad passed away 3 days ago (not her real name).  

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, visionary said:

The Chinese government is better than ours.  Let that sink if for a moment.  Their leader is not both heartless and a moron, like our leader.  They care more for their people, and do a better job of protecting their people, than our government -- COVID-19 proves it without a doubt.  We have more COVID-19 cases than China, despite the fact that COVID-19 originated in China, and that we had the prior warning and full 2 month advantage that CHina did not. The only explanation for that is the Chinese government is simply capable or more humane than ours.  THAT is ****ing shameful.  

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Koala said:

The Chinese government is better than ours.  Let that sink if for a moment.  Their leader is not both heartless and a moron, like our leader.  They care more for their people, and do a better job of protecting their people, than our government -- COVID-19 proves it without a doubt.  We have more COVID-19 cases than China, despite the fact that COVID-19 originated in China, and that we had the prior warning and full 2 month advantage that CHina did not. The only explanation for that is the Chinese government is simply capable or more humane than ours.  THAT is ****ing shameful.  

It's a bit more complicated than that.  China did things that we couldn't and wouldn't do and it didn't spread throughout the country like it did here. And we still don't know how much they've lied about.  But yes our response has been catastrophically bad despite all that.  We're lucky that a lot of governors and others have had more sense than the administration. Unfortunately a lot of people won't be lucky enough to make it through this or any chaos that might come up because of this.  

Edited by visionary

13 minutes ago, visionary said:

It's a bit more complicated than that.  China did things that we couldn't and wouldn't do and it didn't spread throughout the country like it did here. 

I disagree, depending on what things your are referring to.  If you mean the tight quarantine that China imposed on Wuhan, well I fail to see how they are so much more unacceptable than the lockdowns that some of the country is aleady under.  I havent left my house in a month, we cant go anywhere unless its to the grocery store.  Cant even go to the beach, which is 5 minutes from my apartment, as I found out from a rather rude policeman who immediately ORDERED me home.  How much stricter a lockdown do you mean?   

China did what was necessary in order to save peoples lives and prevent the spread of the illness.  If we wouldnt do the same, than we are less humane than the Chinese.  That means we worry more about some foggy notion of freedom than we do about peoiples acrual ****ing lives.  If you say that we couldnt, that means we are less capable or less intelligent.  Period.  

Edited by Koala

19 minutes ago, Koala said:

If you mean the tight quarantine that China imposed on Wuhan, well I fail to see how they are so much more unacceptable than the lockdowns that some of the country is aleady under.  

I saw on Reddit they were sealing doors shut in some cases.  It's fair to say a country that was already taking organs out of Muslims in concentration camps doesn't care about it's people, full stop.

19 minutes ago, Koala said:

If you say that we couldnt, that means we are less capable or less intelligent.  Period.  

Couldn't do what? Lie about the number of people in our country that dont need cell phones anymore for some reason?

Had a debate with my Trump friend today about agreeing Trump should've never trusted what China was saying in the first place, but disagreeing when Trump found out from his own intelligence services what was really going on.

This is first time I can remember feeling just how overpowered the executive branch is by what it looks like when they do nothing instead of too much.  There's no reason in the world one person should be able to pull all 2.5 branches of our government with him into assholeville by himself. It's next level insanity when in context of him losing the popular vote to be president in the first place.

No, we aren't less capable or intelligent to pull this off, he is, and he's stopping us damn near by himself, all the way down to causing mix signals to people about social distancing from the highest levels of government possible.  Dude is picking favorites with States to get re-elected and maintain power, even as a big government person I have to admit the executive branch needs more checks and balances on the President before it even gets to the other branches, plus they need to act more co-equal, how many IGs did he just get rid of simultaneously?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Koala said:

I disagree, depending on what things your are referring to.  If you mean the tight quarantine that China imposed on Wuhan, well I fail to see how they are so much more unacceptable than the lockdowns that some of the country is aleady under.  I havent left my house in a month, we cant go anywhere unless its to the grocery store.  Cant even go to the beach, which is 5 minutes from my apartment, as I found out from a rather rude policeman who immediately ORDERED me home.  How much stricter a lockdown do you mean?   

China did what was necessary in order to save peoples lives and prevent the spread of the illness.  If we wouldnt do the same, than we are less humane than the Chinese.  That means we worry more about some foggy notion of freedom than we do about peoiples acrual ****ing lives.  If you say that we couldnt, that means we are less capable or less intelligent.  Period.  

Do you believe China's numbers are accurate?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

...how much longer until he starts blasting senior citizens for selfishly destroying the economy for their grandkids? Did I already miss it?

Like every Mafia Don, he's had hit men do that. Lt Gov of TX and a few others.

5 hours ago, visionary said:

We're lucky that a lot of governors and others have had more sense than the administration. 

NJ's governor was on a podcast with Obama healthcare guy, Andy Slavitt, he said the states are doing fine BUT there is a role that the Federal government can definitely be playing as the 800 lb gorilla that it's not. 

Edited by Elessar78
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Koala said:

How much stricter a lockdown do you mean?   

My work colleague is Chinese. We have a politely requested stay at home order in most of America. In China, far from Wuhan, they must stay home. Only allowed out once a day for groceries or meds-strict. 

no runs to Home Depot for paint (not essential), no gassing up cars, no Target runs for printer ink for the home office. If you do go out, someone from the Gov is at the front door of your apartment complex waiting to take your temp, get on a bus-take your temp, go into a store-take your temp. 

if you go to the grocery store, you ran a very real risk of being quarantined IN the grocery store if someone started exhibiting symptoms. Kids were left home alone to fend for themselves because parents were taken  into quarantine. 

THATS the difference.

Edited by Elessar78
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Koala said:

This is a long stream of nonsense. We’re in this mess because China knew of a new viral disease outbreak as early as November and failed to notify anyone outside its borders. And then into mid-January lied about no evidence of human to human transmission until cases started popping up internationally. 

Calling a country that suppresses every aspect of human freedom, sends millions into forced labor camps and spent two months covering up a serious issue that is now a global pandemic “humane” is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on this board.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

This is a long stream of nonsense. We’re in this mess because China knew of a new viral disease outbreak as early as November and failed to notify anyone outside its borders. And then into mid-January lied about no evidence of human to human contact until cases started popping up internationally. 

Calling a country that suppresses every aspect of human freedom, sends millions into forced labor camps and spent two months covering up a serious issue that is now a global pandemic “humane” is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on this board.

I certainly agree with you that Koala's post was - let's be polite and say "badly phrased".  

But he does kinda have a point, too.  Their government, in many ways, handled this crisis better than ours.  (Yes, you can replace "better" with "more ruthlessly", and it also fits.)  

And I'm not sure that we're actually in a place to be throwing stones at China because their first response to the virus was to lie and cover it up.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Larry said:

But he does kinda have a point, too.  Their government, in many ways, handled this crisis better than ours.  (Yes, you can replace "better" with "more ruthlessly", and it also fits.)  

And I'm not sure that we're actually in a place to be throwing stones at China because their first response to the virus was to lie and cover it up.  

At this point I’m not sure that they handled it better than anyone else. They are far more capable of taking draconian measures but that’s easy when your citizens don’t really have any basic rights to begin with. I think their most egregious crime is that they have not reported their mortality numbers honestly. There’s a ton of medical data that we will likely never know and see, which has left almost every country that came after them to kind of figure it out on the fly. But it has allowed the CCP to generate headlines like “the US is doing so much worse than China!”.

The fact that you and me can spend hours of our time dunking on our government for its lying and manipulation already separates us from the kind of lying and deception that the CCP engages. Ours is a problem of a few people In government. Theirs is an entire apparatus that will overnight make dissenters, academics, whistleblowers etc disappear for not toying the party line.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Koala said:

How much stricter a lockdown do you mean?   

59 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

My work colleague is Chinese. We have a politely requested stay at home order in most of America. In China, far from Wuhan, they must stay home. Only allowed out once a day for groceries or meds-strict. 

no runs to Home Depot for paint (not essential), no gassing up cars, no Target runs for printer ink for the home office. If you do go out, someone from the Gov is at the front door of your apartment complex waiting to take your temp, get on a bus-take your temp, go into a store-take your temp. 

if you go to the grocery store, you ran a very real risk of being quarantined IN the grocery store if someone started exhibiting symptoms. Kids were left home alone to fend for themselves because parents were taken  into quarantine. 

THATS the difference.

We go to the grocery store (and Home Depot and Wal Mart).  

We go to restaurants, and they make us take out.  

China delivered food to the front door of 1.5 million people, every day for months.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

How can you support this claim with any validity?  We have no idea what actually happened in China. It doesn’t look good.

I also don’t think the United States government did a terrible job. Based on deaths per million we did just about as well as everyone else, maybe a little better, thus far.  And that is inspite of trump.

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

At this point I’m not sure that they handled it better than anyone else. They are far more capable of taking draconian measures but that’s easy when your citizens don’t really have any basic rights to begin with. I think their most egregious crime is that they have not reported their mortality numbers honestly. There’s a ton of medical data that we will likely never know and see, which has left almost every country that came after them to kind of figure it out on the fly. But it has allowed the CCP to generate headlines like “the US is doing so much worse than China!”.

The fact that you and me can spend hours of our time dunking on our government for its lying and manipulation already separates us from the kind of lying and deception that the CCP engages. Ours is a problem of a few people In government. Theirs is an entire apparatus that will overnight make dissenters, academics, whistleblowers etc disappear for not toying the party line.

And again, your post is  "They didn't handle the virus better than we did, because their government system is evil".  It's possible to say that Mussolini made the trains run on time, and the fact that his rule was the definition of fascism doesn't make the point untrue.  

And I'll also attempt to restate a post I made a while back.  

China had it easier than us, in some ways.  But we had it easier than them in some ways, too.  

We had months of notice that it was coming.  They found out about it, after it was infecting people.  (Yes, the information they revealed was deceptive.  But they had no advance information at all.)  

OTOH, they only had an infection in one province.  How much better would our response be, if New York were the only state to have a single case?  (Although, you can also counter-argue that maybe it's our fault that we had it in more than one state.  Again - we had warning, and we "It's the flu"'d it till it spread to 50 states.)  

• Like 1