Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

How much are the Redskins under the cap next year if you add 20 or something million from this year. 

HTTR 

Per OTC ...

Current 2020 Cap space: $35 million

Less Rookie Pool: $10 million

Less in-season and TBD spending: $5-10 million

Rough Cap (mine) Projections by Year-End to rollover: $15-20 million

Current 2021 Cap: $89.7 million

Less 2nd years of 2020 Rookie Class: $76 million

Cut Alex Smith after 2020: $101.5 million

Cut Morgan Moses after 2020: $109.2 million

Add Allen 5th year: $97 million

2021 Rollover: $15-20 million

Total Cap Estimate before $112 - $117 million

Key Free Agents: G Scherff, DE Kerrigan, CB Darby, LB Foster, LB Davis, S Davis, RB Peterson

I think we'll try to extend Allen and Scherff long-term. Kerrigan likely walks, but if he has a decent year I could see them giving him a friendly veteran extension. Darby, Foster, and Sean Davis could be in for big paydays if they end up having solid One-Year audition performances, though maybe not here. We'll certainly have the $$ to spend to retain our own and plenty of $$ to throw at some key free agents.

I could see us addressing CB, TE, WR next off-season if the right players are available. Maybe LB too, depending on how our current players perform in 2020. LT is rarely a position that makes it to FA, so I assume if Charles doesn't play or doesn't play well, that we might kick him to RT and draft one of the top OT next year.

24 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Really hope this is false...

The Redskins know all too well a great player can be had if he annoys the front office and they decide they would just rather move on for pennies on the dollar.  Ron probably called and said, if he keeps running his mouth, we will give you a 5th and a future 3rd to help you shut him up.

Bc I agree with you, I hope we aren't giving up premium picks for him, bc with young and sweat here for the next few years at least, Id rather keep the premium pick to address other needs.

8 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@HTTRDynasty I’d imagine we’d have to trade someone..Not sure where he’d fit in..

Would only make sense to trade Kerrigan or Ryan Anderson, but the Jags wouldn't do that.

I could see us playing him at SAM, but I think that would be a massive waste (especially given the contract he wants), since we want to rush 4 the majority of the time.  Either he, Sweat or Young would be playing way more in coverage than they should be.  

I would probably do a straight Sweat for Yannick swap, but the extra cost may not be worth the talent upgrade.

I don't see why we should invest more cap space in defensive line when other areas are in much greater need of help. I'd rather renegotiate long term contracts with Scherff, Allen, and Payne if possible.  If we're trading players, Anderson would be the most likely candidate as we transition to a 4-3. 

18 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Would have to be Sweat or Kerrigan. Would you do it?

I def wouldn’t do Sweat for him, he’s too young and cheap to let go, imo. I’m not Super familiar w/ YN’s game to be honest, I’d gather he’d be a def upgrade to Kerrigan, but not certain he’s worth all the extra dough being tied up. Unless maybe it would be a gambit to extract a COMP pick, when he leaves for a big deal next year, if he’d qualify for that. Its a head scratcher..

22 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Would only make sense to trade Kerrigan or Ryan Anderson, but the Jags wouldn't do that.

I could see us playing him at SAM, but I think that would be a massive waste (especially given the contract he wants), since we want to rush 4 the majority of the time.  Either he, Sweat or Young would be playing way more in coverage than they should be.  

I would probably do a straight Sweat for Yannick swap, but the extra cost may not be worth the talent upgrade.

I wouldn’t do Sweat for him, stated above.  Anderson in a heartbeat I’d do it though. Not sure the thought process here by us.

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I def wouldn’t do Sweat for him, he’s too young and cheap to let go, imo. I’m not Super familiar w/ YN’s game to be honest, I’d gather he’d be a def upgrade to Kerrigan, but not certain he’s worth all the extra dough being tied up. Unless maybe it would be a gambit to extract a COMP pick, when he leaves for a big deal next year, if he’d qualify for that. Its a head scratcher..

I wouldn’t do Sweat for him, stated above.  Anderson in a heartbeat I’d do it though. Not sure the thought process here by us.

"They can't pick on the secondary if they have to keep eight men in to block every play."

3 minutes ago, carex said:

"They can't pick on the secondary if they have to keep eight men in to block every play."

3rd downs have been murderous for us, so definitely understand the big picture of more rush talent, but the how to get there,  the cost of getting there, and who needs to go to make it happen is what I’m not seeing super clear.

Would Anderson and 2021 3rd(SF) be able to get it done for Ngakoue?

As much as I would love to add him to the rotation, I'm not sure he'd be too happy with it. We wouldn't extend him until next year. And he'd want to go to a team where hes going to get the most amount of snaps. That might create some fireworks that RR is not looking for.

Not only that but Ngakoue just used the same negotiating tactics that Trent used. Probably even worse. Not sure RR would be on board with that.

Yeah I’m honestly not sure what to think about that Ngakue news. Unless we are offering Kerrigan for him straight up? Figure 1 year of Ngakue for $16m > Kerrigan for $11? Not even sure that makes sense.

I’m all for having 3 elite edge rushers and having two on rookie deals is crazy which is why I’m cool with Kerrigan not getting reworked off his numbers ... just not sure in a rebuild how we would really benefit from adding him. 

Ngakoue would be a fantastic move as long as the cost was reasonable. Posted about him for a while. Even suggested him in the 4-3 line up thread just yesterday. Local to the area too, right?

Given the Falcons wanted to move to #2 in the draft, I could see that link bring real.

15 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Per OTC ...

Current 2020 Cap space: $35 million

Less Rookie Pool: $10 million

Less in-season and TBD spending: $5-10 million

Rough Cap (mine) Projections by Year-End to rollover: $15-20 million

Current cap space for top 51 contracts is 35/36mil. That would ultimately take into account draft signings I believe.

Smiths hit is 21mil. Cut him eventually. Dead cap becomes 32mil. Make him post June 1st defers half of that until next offseason. So hit becomes 16mil this year. Cash in 12mi insurance return on him, again spread over 2 years. End result, his 2020 hit drops to 10mil thus adding 11mil back onto the current cap. That’s what I’d do.

That increases the 36mil to 47mil

Extend Scherff. LTD likely drops 2020 number, but given the deal he will get, probably get you 4-5mil back this year. Kerrigan isn’t getting 12mil to play back-up. Got to sort that deal out.

All told, cap space should be at 55mil with those moves.

Extend Jon Allen. Ups his number by 5-7mil this year. 

Still got the best part of 45-50mil in play.

Trade for Ngakoue. Offer them the 49ers third rounder. Jags stuck with a Trent situation soon. And his Tag is the neck end of 20mil.

Go get that veteran LT. There’s another 8-12mil depending who we get. 

Go get another DB. Ryan likely a luxury RR isn’t interested in. Go tier 2 on a short term deal.

All told, back at say 15-20mil in space moving into the season. More if you chose to sit on the Jon Allen extension for now.

EDIT - just wondering what the rules would be with Smith on reflection. If he was cut due to medial reason, and to supplement the insurance monies being paid, maybe June 1st designation is not possible. no idea if that’s allowed or not...

11 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

Would Anderson and 2021 3rd(SF) be able to get it done for Ngakoue?

As much as I would love to add him to the rotation, I'm not sure he'd be too happy with it. We wouldn't extend him until next year. And he'd want to go to a team where hes going to get the most amount of snaps. 

Yes, I'm sure Yannick would prefer to be extended immediately but I think he'd jump at the opportunity to come home.

I still wonder in the back of my mind are the Skins still pushing for a O.J. Howard trade.  They were close it said in reporting.  We don't know how accurate the reporting is/was.  Wonder if our 3rd acquired from SF or our own 3rd is being dangled in front of the Bucs still for Howard.  I still think we are pursuing him in a trade.  Just a guess.

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Really hope this is false...

They have 7000 + after their twitter account was establish in 2011.  It's false I think.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yes, I'm sure Yannick would prefer to be extended immediately but I think he'd jump at the opportunity to come home.

damn right. Glad to see I’m not on my own. Might need to get Scherff off the tag first tho??

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I still wonder in the back of my mind are the Skins still pushing for a O.J. Howard trade.  They were close it said in reporting.  We don't know how accurate the reporting is/was.  Wonder if our 3rd acquired from SF or our own 3rd is being dangled in front of the Bucs still for Howard.  I still think we are pursuing him in a trade.  Just a guess.

no chance we should give a third for OJ Howard.

If the Pats didn’t want him, then draft 2 TEs in the third, trading up BOTH time using extra picks, something doesn’t stack. 

Also, aren’t you just getting a one year rental for a 3rd rounder unless you commit to pay his 5th year option value, or extend him? Quite the risk with little proven production thus far.

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yep.

That's my first priority.

Well if there is any truth in the Ngakoue link, an early sign could be a Scherff deal. 

Archived