Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

46 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m not saying they would trade him because of performance reasons. Only because he’s not far off from a massive payday and we already have a lot of talent on the DL once Young is signed. Can we find a way to keep them all? Who knows.

Yeah, draft Young and don't **** it up and they'll all play together next year. Perfect. If Allen blows up awesome, that means we're good. If he wants a ton, cool, we already have his replacement on the roster and can take someone later to groom. The perfect way to build a team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, draft Young and don't **** it up and they'll all play together next year. Perfect. If Allen blows up awesome, that means we're good. If he wants a ton, cool, we already have his replacement on the roster and can take someone later to groom. The perfect way to build a team.

I agree with this.  Let's not try to get too cute with it, let all these guys play together and all go off, then we worry about what to do with the abundance of riches.  Just to have an abundance of riches isn't something we should look to get away from, especially on a d line unit.

We should be turning our attention now to an extension for Allen, not a trade that ships him out. We are in good enough cap shape where we could keep our core sprinkled with a healthy amount of cheap labor if we keep having solid drafts with k smith.  That'll be a great core to build the team around.

• Like 3

Actually if we were smart we'd work on a long term extension with Allen now before he has a chance of blowing up. He's eligible since he's played three years and while he's been good he hasn't really been dominant so we could probably sign him to a pretty team friendly deal. Of course Allen knows this and is probably gonna bet on himself to have a big year and then try to sign a huge contract next year.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

And I don’t think it’s a bad strategy in the least. But if someone did come along and offer you a first, even a late first, would you consider it? Would having Allen on that line make this a better team than, say, drafting a Josh Jones or Justin Jefferson or some other elite talent with the initials of JJ (I swear that was coincidence)?

Its merely just a discussion. 

56 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

And I don’t think it’s a bad strategy in the least. But if someone did come along and offer you a first, even a late first, would you consider it? Would having Allen on that line make this a better team than, say, drafting a Josh Jones or Justin Jefferson or some other elite talent with the initials of JJ (I swear that was coincidence)?

Its merely just a discussion. 

I would not trade Allen for a first round pick, no. If you're lucky, you draft someone like him. We already have him. Extend him now.

• Like 5

I think all extensions are off the table right now - RR essentially said as much in regards to Dunbar’s request and I don’t see him going back on it.

I’m excited to see this dline play together (with Young and a hopefully improved Sweat) under the new staff/scheme.  Personally, if the staff is anxious to gain draft capital, I’m always of the mindset that you trade guys at their peak, when their value is at its highest.  So, if they were to trade anyone, I’d go with Ioannidis.  

• Like 1

I guess people forget that teams scheme to double team Payne or Allen, but think about how hard it would be with Young attacking with them too. Then throw in LB or Safety blitzes and thats more opportunities for the offense to get back on the field.

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I think all extensions are off the table right now - RR essentially said as much in regards to Dunbar’s request and I don’t see him going back on it.

I’m excited to see this dline play together (with Young and a hopefully improved Sweat) under the new staff/scheme.  Personally, if the staff is anxious to gain draft capital, I’m always of the mindset that you trade guys at their peak, when their value is at its highest.  So, if they were to trade anyone, I’d go with Ioannidis.  

The impact on Sweat is what is lost in the soup. A rookie pass rusher who showed flashes towards the end of the season. This time last year he tore the combine up and was the one being compared to Julius Peppers albeit stiff in the hips.

If we come out of this with two premiere pass rushers combined with our interior front. Yes please and thank you. Pay them and continually draft the remainder of the roster year in and year out.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is actually something I'm a bit concerned about.  Is anyone else worried that our current DL coach - Sam Mills III - has only been the DL coach for one season?  He obviously has a lot of experience in the assistant DL role, but it's a bit odd to invest four straight first round picks on the DL and then have someone so relatively inexperienced coaching them up.  Especially a player as raw as Sweat.  

Mills obviously has NFL bloodlines (which also means he was hired via nepotism), so I'm crossing my fingers that he's one of these wunderkinds like Kyle Smith, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan and (hopefully) Scott Turner.  We need a coach that can maximize all that talent.

Chase Young will be the new coach of the DL. Those guys should make Mills look good. 

7 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d be flabbergasted if Kerrigan is on the roster on his current 11.5mil salary in 2020. Once we’ve snagged Young, Kerrigan needs to be on a drastically reduced deal or shipped out for a 4th....

He's not going anywhere, Rivera already said he wants him on the team to help build the new culture. Kerrigan is still a very good player and will contribute a lot to the defense.

And so will Allen, crazy that people want to trade two of our best players and team leaders. Not happening folks, thank God none of y'all are the GM of this team :)

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/ron-rivera-says-ryan-kerrigan-redskins-plans-2020

Ryan Kerrigan is just one sack away from breaking the Redskins' franchise record. It sounds like he'll get the opportunity to break that record in 2020.

The pass rusher enters the final year of his contract in 2020, but some wondered whether Washington would release him this offseason as part of a salary-cap savings move.

Redskins head coach Ron Rivera told the Redskins Talk podcast on Thursday that Kerrigan remains in the Redskins' future plans and will be with the team this season.

"Yes he is," Rivera said on if Kerrigan will be with the Redskins in 2020. "Most certainly.

"We had a great conversation with Ryan and it was awesome," Rivera continued. "He's all fired up about getting ready for next season. I'm not going to get into a player's contract, but he's a guy we're looking forward to having around."

Since Rivera took over as the Burgundy and Gold's head coach, he's preached identifying which players will be a part of the team's core. Rivera said Kerrigan is certainly one of those players.

The Redskins are widely expected to use the No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft on Chase Young. The Ohio State pass rusher would join a defensive front seven that is already loaded with talent. 

Rivera said that regardless of what the Redskins do with the pick or in free agency, Kerrigan remains a part of the future of the team.

"Whatever happens in free agency and the draft, that's great," he said. "But we did our core and went through our core. We're going to make our moves off the decisions we've made. Ryan is part of that plan going forward. That's one of the things he and I talked about."

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I am dreading the Giants taking Simmons.  I really hope Gettleman overvalues Becton.  If they take Simmons or Thomas im gonna be a bit upset.  

I think a lot of that depends on how creative their defensive coordinator is. Simmons isn't the same sort of "plug and play" guy as a Chase Young or an Okudah. He's a freak and could be a game changer but only if you can figure out the best way to use his unique skill sets to your advantage and put him in the best place to succeed in certain packages. If you just stick him at Safety or OLB and that's it then he'll probably be a good player for you, but not nearly what he could be if you move him around a lot depending on what the offense is doing.

7 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Armstead wasn't had for the 13th pick.  That was Buckner, who has been far better than Allen has in his career.

No he hasn't been far better. Some of y'all act like Allen sucks or something. Allen will have a Fletcher Cox impact for the Skins this year.

7 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Would you take a first for him? Somewhere in the 17-25 range? Just curious.

No, Allen will be a dominant defensive lineman in this new scheme. Fletcher Cox Jr. Wait and see.

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think it's important to remember just how bad the coaching, play calling and environment was last year. It makes me want to give most of our players a mulligan.

So, try to remember what you thought of Allen at the end of 2019. Back then, he was a leader, was a surging, exciting player, and looked to be a ten-year anchor. The year before that, he looked like a rookie who was a steal and someone who really outplayed expectations (or lived up to his original top five expectations despite the fall.) Last year, he often looked like a bum. I think that was partly injury, but I think a huge part of it was the fact that the scheme, the play calling, and everything else just stank and no one seemed to be able to rise above it.

He sprained his knee in the first game of the season, but he was far from just a bum last year.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Allen blows up, you pay the leader of the defense what he's worth and let one of the other d lineman go if we can't somehow keep them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think a lot of that depends on how creative their defensive coordinator is. Simmons isn't the same sort of "plug and play" guy as a Chase Young or an Okudah. He's a freak and could be a game changer but only if you can figure out the best way to use his unique skill sets to your advantage and put him in the best place to succeed in certain packages. If you just stick him at Safety or OLB and that's it then he'll probably be a good player for you, but not nearly what he could be if you move him around a lot depending on what the offense is doing.

Thats all true... but id still really prefer that be determined on a team not in our division, unless its us

48 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Giants DC has 1 year experience as a DC I believe. I don't see them being able to properly use him.

Still dont want him there.  I dont care who is running the defense... Simmons is as physically gifted as anyone in the NFL.   A bad mechanic with good tools still completes some jobs.  A bad mechanic with inferior tools is even more limited.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Allen is actually the best DT we have and will prove it this year.

I don't see a whole lot of people agreeing with you.  Matt I is their best DT and Payne is probably 2nd. I still like Allen and would not trade him for a middle-late 1st round pick.  Coaching has certainly been a big factor but I still maintain some fans are overrating Jonathan Allen based on his reputation.  If he was a 4th rounder from Colgate I don't think many would have your opinion based on his play on the field. But he certainly has the potential to break out but it sure hasn't happened so far.