Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Chase still just moves differently than the rest of the guys. His feet are so much better than Sweat’s, for instance. 

Im not betting on Young being a star and reaching his potential, but I’m rooting for it. It feels like a lot of people here aren’t, and I don’t really understand it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The Washington Commanders are “open to listening” to trade offers from other teams for star pass-rusher Chase Young, according to Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated.

Young’s presence at the Commanders’ minicamp has once again drawn attention to Washington’s situation with their edge rushers. The team has already committed significant resources to interior defensive linemen Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen, which could make it challenging to afford big contracts for two more pass rushers in Young and Montez Sweat.

Breer suggests that teams who feel they need additional help in their pass rush may make trade inquiries about Young. While it appears unlikely that Washington would move Young, especially in a crucial year, the team seems willing to listen to offers.

• Like 1

I would really love for the national narrative around us listening on Young to stay “they have too much invested in the DL to pay him” rather than “Young hasn’t lived up to expectations and they need to salvage something, anything for him”. That’s a very friendly narrative from Breer, so somebody in the building has his ear. It won’t change much with other NFL teams who actually watch his tape, but any small bit of media leverage helps. 

• Like 2

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Commanders defensive end Chase Young said there's a "night and day" difference in how he feels compared to the end of last season -- and that's partly why he's not worried that the team didn't pick up his fifth-year option. He said he wasn't surprised by that move, either.

"Not disappointing at all," Young said Tuesday. "I'm ready to go."

...Young, who will be a free agent after the season, said he feels much better than he did at the end of last season.

"Night and day," said Young, who wore a brace on his right knee. "Night and day. ... My confidence, my strength. Everything."

And, he said, he felt like his old self. Young earned 2020 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors after recording 7.5 sacks, forcing four fumbles and recovering three -- and returning one for a touchdown. But he managed only 1.5 sacks in nine games before hurting his knee the following season.

When Young was asked how he knew he felt like he did pre-injury, he said to "watch the film from today's practice."

"I felt pretty explosive out there," Young said.

Last season, he did not record a sack but the coaches wanted him on the field in part to get him ready for next season and to gain confidence in his knee.

"We just want to see him pick up where he left off," Commanders coach Ron Rivera said. "He was starting to play faster and faster and just love to see him get out there and really run around and kind of cut a loose and not be tentative. And that's probably the biggest thing for him."

Young participated during the team drills Tuesday, showing an explosive first step. During individual drills, he was his usual energetic self: swaying and singing to music while waiting his turn in a drill.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

43 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Young puts up 9 plus sacks and is his normal charismatic and energetic self and the fan favorite to all of your kids and grandchildren, new ownership isn’t letting him walk out the door. 

Other than one non-football sideline highlight where he pointed at the back of Heinicke’s jersey 2-3 years ago in a meme-able moment, when was the last time Young had the spotlight as a fan favorite? Briefly during and after his rookie year I guess. Those 9 sack numbers, unless he’s an extremely well-rounded defender otherwise, are Leonard Floyd numbers. He just signed for like $5-7M with a much better team. No way Young accepts that here, and no way are those numbers worthy of a franchise tag. He needs to really blow up to re-sign here imo or he’ll be in a position where it makes more sense to test his name value on the open market. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Chase still just moves differently than the rest of the guys. His feet are so much better than Sweat’s, for instance. 

All of them look good except for Phidarian Mathis.  Agreed that Chase definitely looks faster and sharper than Montez, but Montez looks good in that drill to me.

Never heard of #79 Benning Potoa'e before now, but he looks fast there.  Small for an IDL, looks smaller than Obada.  But fast looking.

9 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

It feels like a lot of people here aren’t, and I don’t really understand it. 

I’ll go out on what I feel is a very short limb and bet you can’t find a handful of people here, let alone a lot, who don’t hope for CY to come back from injury, reach his potential and be the impact player that we had hope for when he was drafted.

Skepticism and even critique are not synonymous with not rooting for.  Come game day, everyone will be rooting for CY to make plays, lots of them.  

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

There's been buzz in Cincinnati lately about a hypothetical trade proposal in BR, saying the Bengals could trade LB Logan Wilson and a 4th round pick for Chase. A lot of people in Cincinnati had wanted the team to pick Chase first in the 2020 draft instead of Joe Burrows (which would have been interesting since Washington could then have picked Burrows #2). There apparently still is a lot of interest in Cincy to get Young.

On the other hand, this article (farther below) from Commanders Wire seemed quite positive on his prospects for staying here and about his performance in mini camp.

https://stripehype.com/posts/bengals-land-chase-young-bleacher-report-trade-proposal-01h1ykm6zket

"Bengals trade for Chase Young in crazy hypothetical

Knox argues that the Commanders didn't pick up Young's fifth-year option so why not get something for him now? He proposes that the Commanders send Young to Cincinnati in exchange for Logan Wilson and a fourth-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

Bengals fans won't like this proposal because it'd send Wilson -- a fan favorite -- to Washington. The Bengals have said that they'd like to extend Wilson along with Burrow and Tee Higgins but the fact of the matter is that they can't pay everyone. By trading Wilson here, the Bengals get something for him in return -- in this case, Young and an early Day 3 draft pick -- and add to one of their weaker position groups in doing so."

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/30/bengals-blockbuster-trade-chase-young-idea/

"This could be a win-win trade for two teams getting an opportunity to audition young players at positions of need for the future. The Bengals could chip in a middle-round selection in order to pair Young with 2020 first overall pick Joe Burrow and add the player with greater positional value.

It’s obviously a trade proposal that won’t fly, regardless of how much fun Young on the Bengals could be. But that’s the point — it’s safe to think the team will be keeping an eye on Chase, like once he hits free agency after Washington declined his fifth-year option."

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/06/washington-commanders-would-be-open-to-listening-to-offers-for-chase-young-trade-montez-sweat/

"Of course, the Commanders would listen. Washington would be foolish not to listen. But that doesn’t mean the Commanders are trading him. Once this story hit social media, Breer offered the following tweet...

...A motivated and healthy Chase Young is one of Washington’s most important players. If Young plays like he’s capable of playing in 2023, the Commanders will do everything in their power to retain him.

Not only can Young potentially be a terrific pass rusher, but he’s an excellent building block for new owner Josh Harris with his charisma and local ties. When head coach Ron Rivera said he wanted to motivate Young, he meant it. For Rivera, it was never about trading Young; it was about unlocking his vast potential. There’s a long way to go but Young got off to a good start Tuesday."

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

Not only can Young potentially be a terrific pass rusher, but he’s an excellent building block for new owner Josh Harris with his charisma and local ties. When head coach Ron Rivera said he wanted to motivate Young, he meant it. For Rivera, it was never about trading Young; it was about unlocking his vast potential. There’s a long way to go but Young got off to a good start Tuesday."

This dude Bryan Manning gets it.  Finally someone who takes Rivera at his word and has figured out the way his regime operates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

? He proposes that the Commanders send Young to Cincinnati in exchange for Logan Wilson and a fourth-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft

By trading Wilson here, the Bengals get something for him in return -- in this case, Young and an early Day 3 draft pick

So who gets the 4th round pick, we Flippin a coin here?

• Like 2

Although sacks are just one measure of a pass rusher’s ability to disrupt the opposing offense, defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio has stressed the need for his linemen to finish their rushes and turn quarterback hurries into sacks. Last season, Sweat had 28 hits and eight sacks. Young’s time on the field was limited, but even when healthy at the start of the 2021 season, he produced only 1.5 sacks in nine games.

Rivera said at the time that he felt Young “dives inside a little too much” instead of setting the edge a little longer before ducking inside. Young’s strength was his power, but at times he hesitated and seemed to take an extra step that prevented him from getting to the quarterback.

The coach’s message was for Young to stay patient and remain disciplined in this technique. But the knee injury derailed his development.

If Young can return to a high level this season, it will create a welcome problem for Washington. He and Sweat are set to be free agents in March, and after the team paid defensive tackles Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne, it may not be able to keep the entire starting line and still be able to fill needs elsewhere.

So Del Rio offered a simple message to his pass rushers.

“Close the deal,” he said, “and it’ll add zeros to your check.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/06/chase-young-contract-knee-commanders/

• Like 1

...A motivated and healthy Chase Young is one of Washington’s most important players. If Young plays like he’s capable of playing in 2023, the Commanders will do everything in their power to retain him.

Next to RG3, Chase is my all time draft crush for this team.  Love to see him have that killer season.  And I think he's capable of it.

The off field stuff whatever it is, I gather has to settle down. Rivera referenced maturity again in an answer the other day which seemed like another indirect shot at Chase.  And he's been more direct as to those shots in the past.   And some beat guys have referenced the point, too based on rumbilings they heard.  So whatever that means, I hope Chase is laser focused and gets past whatever that is.   

But as a player if he can find his old burst it would mean everything to this defense.  I don't think the ceiling is high on the team because of the O line.  But I do think the ceiling is high on the defense and if Chase is his old self they could be the best unit in the league.

As to Rivera paying up for Chase.  I think its possible.  But I also think that could mean the end of Sweat.  I think there is a decent shot that they do not pay 90 million or so combined for 4 D lineman -- I think that would be unprecedented.  Keim has been saying for years that he knows the FO is a bit torn about that and have noticed what SF did and that is trade one of the 4 big D lineman versus pay all 4. 

But ultimately, I think right now we don't know because I seriously doubt Ron makes that call.  He's likely gone IMO after this season.  JP Finlay was talking about this the other day as to odds aren't hot that Ron is the dude next season.  But that logic is not hard to piece together. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Dov Kleiman is a confirmed weirdo, but he mostly just compiles reports/rumors from actual insiders and aggregates them. For instance, he cited Breer in the tweet being referenced about Young, so you can go listen to Breer make the point. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wilson and a 4rth for Chase would be awesome

We were both Wilson fans during the 2020 draft if I recall correctly. He would still be a nice fit. That would be an intriguing trade, but RR will never go for it.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wilson and a 4rth for Chase would be awesome

It is intriguing but doesn't make much sense for the Bengals.

Wilson is a proven player who they want to re-sign but may not be able to because they have too many big contracts coming up.

Why trade one guy who needs a big contract for a huge question mark that may need an even bigger contract next year?

Doesn't make any sense for them to trade wilson for anything other than just draft picks and or maybe a cheap veteran or something. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

It is intriguing but doesn't make much sense for the Bengals.

Wilson is a proven player who they want to re-sign but may not be able to because they have too many big contracts coming up.

Why trade one guy who needs a big contract for a huge question mark that may need an even bigger contract next year?

Doesn't make any sense for them to trade wilson for anything other than just draft picks and or maybe a cheap veteran or something. 

It's not real dude. It's fantasy. Like the good season you think we're about to have.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's not real dude. It's fantasy. Like the good season you think we're about to have.

I'm very well aware that it's not a real rumor I was simply replying to your comment about how it would be awesome. 

As to your second comment, I never said I think we're going to have an awesome season, I've said there's no reason to believe it's not possible. 

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I'm very well aware that it's not a real rumor I was simply replying to your comment about how it would be awesome. 

As to your second comment, I never said I think we're going to have an awesome season, I've said there's no reason to believe it's not possible. 

Oh, it's gonna be an awesome season, we just ain't winning a lot.