Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

If all you see is no sacks from Chase, you’re not a real football fan.

Chase young is a beast of a player, and that’s even with the lack of sacks. He is definitely on offense coordinator minds.

Chase Young is the easiest guy to block on our defensive line right now IMO. He isn't nearly as good as your post claims he is, and fans should be concerned that he's been such a non factor. 

Guess I'm not a real football fan.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Chase Young is the easiest guy to block on our defensive line right now IMO. He isn't nearly as good as your post claims he is, and fans should be concerned that he's been such a non factor. 

Yeah its not just the 0 sacks.  Thats lazy.  Hes not getting all that close even.  Hes not disrupting the backfield.  Hes not forcing turnovers.  Hes not getting his hands up and knocking down passes.  Hes not blowing up running plays behind the LOS.  Basically hes not doing anything all that impactful.  Hes not been a liability (yet), but that bar is way way wayyy to low for a player of his caliber.

I still believe in his talent winning out.  Or maybe I just want it to.  But he is deserving of any criticism or concern he is receiving from the fanbase right now.  And he can change the narrative with some hard work and a flip of the switch.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I don't even care about the sacks, and he picked up couple late last year which hid the fact that his ability to get to the quarterback is not #2 draft pick material. It's about half of what Nick Bosa did his rookie season and he's continuing that trend this year. He's just not in the same class as the big time rushers. That's fine, he's still serviceable but just disappointing for a top 2 pick that was supposed to be a generational game changing talent.

Lol I missed you. Shame you threw a tantrum and left.

• Haha 1

What I’m having a hard time with reading through this thread…

Why do you have to either be: “Chase Young is a problem for everyone we face and a total stud and any issue is made up and just because he’s not getting sacks”

Or

”I hate Chase Young!”

Why is it not okay to talk about what he’s struggling with while still seeing his tremendous talent? The guy is strong and powerful. He has good feet and is violent. He has the respect of his teammates from what we’ve seen as well. 

He doesn’t use his hands well, though. Don’t get it twisted… he USES his hands. Just not well. He’s not creating leverage on the OL and using that leverage to make a counter move. He’s not setting himself up for success by utilizing better bend and rip techniques. He’s also running himself out of plays at times and he’s pressing big time. 

I am not worried that Chase Young is a bust. Not at this point. He has immense talent and I think he got caught up in some things that made him lack a little focus. I don’t think he worked any less hard last offseason… just he had his hand in a bunch of cups and wasn’t as focused as he could have been. That’s normal for a young guy and can be overcome. 

He’s going to be phenomenal as long as he refocuses and I believe he will. But right now he’s been disappointing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why is it not okay to talk about what he’s struggling with while still seeing his tremendous talent?

This seems to be the case with other players as well.  See: Heineke Hive

You are labeled a naysayer or a hater for addressing weaknesses.  I'd get it if folks were in there hammering him, making definitive negative statements about his future, but that's not what's happening.

Similar stuff going on in here, although there actually are a few who have labeled Chase a bust, or having the ceiling of Clowney up in here.  That stuff deserves to be called out, but everything else is up for discussion.

• Like 1

All i'll say is it was very fun watching Joey Bosa last night.... and that Chase Young couldn't hold his jock right now. I have faith, but he's not even in the same stratosphere as the Bosa's, Garretts, Watts, etc.

Give that Captain patch to Sweat...

Edited by SemperFi Skins
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This seems to be the case with other players as well.  See: Heineke Hive

You are labeled a naysayer or a hater for addressing weaknesses.  I'd get it if folks were in there hammering him, making definitive negative statements about his future, but that's not what's happening.

Similar stuff going on in here, although there actually are a few who have labeled Chase a bust, or having the ceiling of Clowney up in here.  That stuff deserves to be called out, but everything else is up for discussion.

Not really the same thing though.

One is a Undrafted FA that has bounced around the league, has physical flaws that everyone agrees on, but is playing well.

The others is a #2 overall pick, "generational talent" that is playing like poop.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Not really the same thing though.

One is a Undrafted FA that has bounced around the league, has physical flaws that everyone agrees on, but is playing well.

The others is a #2 overall pick, "generational talent" that is playing like poop.

Different draft pedigrees, but other than that - it's the exact same thing.  At the end of the day, we're talking about starters for our football team, whether they were a first round pick or UDFA.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Different draft pedigrees, but other than that - it's the exact same thing.  At the end of the day, we're talking about starters for our football team, whether they were a first round pick or UDFA.

How they are playing is also worlds apart.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Okay, but Chase was the rookie defensive player of the year last year.  We got one game out of Heineke last year, so we are still at a total of 5 games with him - it's a small sample to be considered hands off for skepticism and/or criticism.

It is and it is.

What I'm seeing though, is on one hand, one guy is showing some real issues, while coachable, should be getting better. But they are not. To go along with missing a lot of time in the offseason, it's not a great look.

On the other hand, the other guy is doing a lot of the legwork to keep us mildly competitive, and he's awesome to root for. And some of the criticism sometimes doesn't seem warranted, or is over the top. Not all of it, but one that really kinda drives me nuts is that throw to Terry where he got hit on the arm. Just a "stupid throw" and "noodle arm". And no matter how many times it's pointed out that he got hit, and when your arm gets hit, the ball comes out bad, it's never acknowledged.

At that point, it stops being objective criticism, and it's just looking for issues.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

It is and it is.

What I'm seeing though, is on one hand, one guy is showing some real issues, while coachable, should be getting better. But they are not. To go along with missing a lot of time in the offseason, it's not a great look.

On the other hand, the other guy is doing a lot of the legwork to keep us mildly competitive, and he's awesome to root for. And some of the criticism sometimes doesn't seem warranted, or is over the top. Not all of it, but one that really kinda drives me nuts is that throw to Terry where he got hit on the arm. Just a "stupid throw" and "noodle arm". And no matter how many times it's pointed out that he got hit, and when your arm gets hit, the ball comes out bad, it's never acknowledged.

At that point, it stops being objective criticism, and it's just looking for issues.

So the criticism for Chase is warranted but  commentary/criticism on Heinicke’s limitations are not objective/fair ?
Also is Chase less awesome to root for ? If so what makes Heinicke easier to root for?  They both have the W on their helmet and are local guys

5 minutes ago, BobGriffin said:

So the criticism for Chase is warranted but  commentary/criticism on Heinicke’s limitations are not objective/fair ?
Also is Chase less awesome to root for ? If so what makes Heinicke easier to root for?  They both have the W on their helmet and are local guys

Some of it has not been, I covered that in the post you quoted. And many people are basically saying "shut up about Chase, he's a gEnErAtiOnAl PlAyEr, he will be fine."

As to what makes Heinicke easier to root for? That's not hard really. His a underdog. A HUGE underdog.

If he continues playing like this, it's Kurt Warner all over again, Disney movies, ect.

Another parallel that is not good for Chase. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but the similarities are spooky.

OROK. 2nd player taken overall. Face of the franchise. Got caught up in himself and his brand. Regressed 2nd year. Never seemed to figure things out mentally, and we now refer to him as "Bob", as he doing color commentary for college games.

Not saying that is how its going to end, but it has started very much the same

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, redskinss said:

I gotta give you some props, you definitely got ridden pretty hard last year for your skepticism of chase and you could be in here beating your chest but your not.

It's nice to see someone take the high road every once in a while and I apologize for any comments I may have made that insinuated you were way off base.

Thanks man. Yea, I honestly am not rooting for Chase to fail, so it's just not satisfying to see him actually be bad. I just didn't get the hype, especially after seeing a #2 draft pick d end the year before playing at such a high level he wasn't even putting up good rookie numbers, he was one of the best d ends in all of football. So it was just a let down of expectations. I didn't expect him to be this rough though. He's not even close to the upper tier of pass rushers in the league. 

• Like 1

Just maybe spending an off season with the team would really help him improve his game. He hasn't had one of those yet. Although, he has been in the league a couple of years, watching Maxx Crosby last night was fun. He has more than one move.

I would take the current Maxx Crosby over the current Chase Young. I still think Young will have the better career, but we've seen past top draft picks with all the talent in the world go into a situation and fail. I am really hoping that Young isn't one of those guys, but it seems lately that the top DE's come into the league and make an impact early. I know there are exceptions, but Chase should be rocking people, especially with the talent on the rest of the D Line.

Also, I have felt like Chase has not followed through on plays a few times this year. With the Falcon's game, I believe it was 3x. Our team still made plays, but it seemed he gave up a little early on a few of them.

I'm still in his corner. I still think he will still have a solid career. But, at the current time, I am seeing him as a single sack guy not double. Maybe he is believing his own hype too much. Maybe he needs to step back reevaluate his situation and work on things outside of his comfort zone. I don't know what it is, but him and the coaches need to figure it out. We could really use a beast DE that is getting double digit sacks a year.

15 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Yeah I'm getting a bit tired of people lecturing others on their football knowledge when they are critical of Chase Young. If you are a Washington fan and are not concerned about his lack of production at this point in time I have to question if that person is a real football fan.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 4

On 9/29/2021 at 12:47 PM, Warhead36 said:

I still believe in his talent. Expecting him to be Reggie White who is the GOAT DE is a little crazy. I still think he can be Myles Garrett.

When you draft someone basically as a #1 overall, you do sort of expect White or Dent. I added Dent in for a reason. A HoFer who was excellent but not better than White but someone we'd be happy with. 

I find it funny that I barely watch any football anymore but had suspicions about Young when I watched some tape out of curiosity.  I didn't see what people were telling me about. I trusted that I was wrong and I was just rusty but...

7 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Thanks man. Yea, I honestly am not rooting for Chase to fail, so it's just not satisfying to see him actually be bad. I just didn't get the hype, especially after seeing a #2 draft pick d end the year before playing at such a high level he wasn't even putting up good rookie numbers, he was one of the best d ends in all of football. So it was just a let down of expectations. I didn't expect him to be this rough though. He's not even close to the upper tier of pass rushers in the league. 

*meme* Look at what it takes for them (1.25 seasons) to mimic even a fraction of our power (pre-draft)!*/invincible*

Props to you, I was probably not as negative (in my own head, I honestly don't even know if I posted) but I didn't see it. I'd still have rather traded down to get a QB or just draft someone you can halfway believe in.  I didn't see it with this guy.  Not at #2.

9 hours ago, Morneblade said:

OROK. 2nd player taken overall. Face of the franchise. Got caught up in himself and his brand. Regressed 2nd year. Never seemed to figure things out mentally, and we now refer to him as "Bob", as he doing color commentary for college games.

Not saying that is how its going to end, but it has started very much the same

Bob at least had a major knee injury to blame for a regression and it getting in his head.

Edited by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Bob at least had a major knee injury to blame for a regression and it getting in his head.

True, that took a bit of his athleticism away. But the fact that he was more focused on his brand, and not working on reading defenses. So many cute quotes, merch, commercials, and not focusing on playing ball.

• Like 1

Montez Sweat had a sack vs ATL and it was mostly due to one of the few times that the secondary was good in coverage.  Opposing offenses are going to continue to get the ball out quickly against this pass rush.  Covering WRs and TEs is not part of Chase's job description.  As long as the secondary is not doing their job, the DL will not get home.  

Edited by SAli457180
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Montez Sweat had a sack vs ATL and it was mostly due to one of the few times that the secondary was good in coverage.  Opposing offenses are going to continue to get the ball out quickly against this pass rush.  Covering WRs and TEs is not part of Chase's job description.  As long as the secondary is not doing their job, the DL will not get home.  

That's called a coverage sack.

The inverse is also true, when the front 4 create enough havoc that the secondary doesn't have to cover for very long. Good DL's do this. We don't. To go back to your OP. If it's up to the secondary to give time for the Rush to get there, why the f*ck did we draft 4 guys in the first round, including #2 overall, if it's up to the secondary? Wouldn't you just draft all DB's in the first round then, instead of a 6th rounder, 2 3rd rounders, a 5th rounder, a 2nd rounder and a 1st?

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

The inverse is also true, when the front 4 create enough havoc that the secondary doesn't have to cover for very long. Good DL's do this. We don't. To go back to your OP. If it's up to the secondary to give time for the Rush to get there, why the f*ck did we draft 4 guys in the first round, including #2 overall, if it's up to the secondary? Wouldn't you just draft all DB's in the first round then, instead of a 6th rounder, 2 3rd rounders, a 5th rounder, a 2nd rounder and a 1st?

mike tyson boxing GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Morneblade said:

That is true for sure but it feels like opposing players are open within 1-2 seconds because our soft zone just sucks. How fast is that pass rush supposed to get home? Not arguing that they have been amazing but they also haven't been as bad as people claim. I read somwhere that we are 6th or so in pressure percentage. That doesn't translate to sacks though if the QB always has a guy immediately wide open somewhere.

Look at these pictures below. It's a 3rd & 3 in the RZ. We were showing blitz but every DB was lining up 7-8 yards deep and actually backpadelling as soon as the ball was snapped. Ryan got smoked on that play but not before he found his TE for an easy 6 or 7 yards completion because there was absolutely no one even in the area of that dude - and he had two other dudes wide open. That ball was out in under 2 seconds (look at the game clock, that ball was snapped at :27 and is almost there at :26). And I feel like that happens all the time and there is really nothing that the D-line can do about these things.

grafik.thumb.png.e18c137521380325536442cf12f30e91.png

grafik.thumb.png.a715fd7003af8bf5caf62b876ddb4c35.png

grafik.thumb.png.75d4963dc09af635789f08b85be2d564.png

grafik.png

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Panninho said:

That is true for sure but it feels like opposing players are open within 1-2 seconds because our soft zone just sucks. How fast is that pass rush supposed to get home? Not arguing that they have been amazing but they also haven't been as bad as people claim. I read somwhere that we are 6th or so in pressure percentage. That doesn't translate to sacks though if the QB always has a guy immediately wide open somewhere.

Look at these pictures below. It's a 3rd & 3 in the RZ. We were showing blitz but every DB was lining up 7-8 yards deep and actually backpadelling as soon as the ball was snapped. Ryan got smoked on that play but not before he found his TE for an easy 6 or 7 yards completion because there was absolutely no one even in the area of that dude - and he had two other dudes wide open. That ball was out in under 2 seconds (look at the game clock, that ball was snapped at :27 and is almost there at :26). And I feel like that happens all the time and there is really nothing that the D-line can do about these things.

grafik.thumb.png.e18c137521380325536442cf12f30e91.png

grafik.thumb.png.a715fd7003af8bf5caf62b876ddb4c35.png

grafik.thumb.png.75d4963dc09af635789f08b85be2d564.png

grafik.png

If this was every throw, you'd have something. But it's not. When QB's sit back and let intermediate  and deep routes develop with no issues, that's the lines fault.

The fact that it's 3rd and 3 and the defenders drop 10 yards seems like the coaching issue.