Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

12 hours ago, goskins10 said:

How elegant - maybe try actually providing something more than just a 3 word sentence to support you position. 

Still, I will clarify. Yes, by the draft he was projected to go in the top 6 or so. However, he was never considered a top 5 talent.  QBs get over drafted. CBS had him in the 20s. Walter Football had him in the same area. As the draft got closer - without him playing any more, he rose up the mock drafts. That does not make him a top 5 talent. 

The entire conversation was about should we have taken him or Chase Young. We can try all the revisionist history we want, but no matter what Justin Herbert does, there was no way at the time Washington should of, or was going to take Justin Herbert over the absolute best talent in the draft and maybe the best talent in several drafts. 

Top 5 for:

Sports Illustrated

Sportingnews

Bleacher Report

NFL.com - Daniel Jeremiah

USA Today

LA Times

NBC Sports - Peter King (trade up #3)

Mostly everyone else had him going at 6. There was plenty of support for Herbert.

Sure, there was some sort of 'rise' in the media. That happens in every sport as the scouts finish their assessments and the coaches get to theirs. That happens partway through the hype season. 

Going back to late 2019 and into January he was considered a top 10 pick in the media. Some having him in the top 15, some in the top 5.  

Consensus top 5 QB should absolutely be an option at 2. Officially, as per Rivera, it was only Burrow or Chase. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hope so? We don't have to pay sweat for a few years and you want to trade him? It's a non issue for 3 seasons. 

I’m thinking ahead, which is what I hope our GM is doing. It’s not realistic to just bury your head in the sand until the year before you have to make a move, nor does it help the team long-term. I’m not saying trade him next season, but I would definitely start thinking about options that would best serve the team long-term. 

You can definitely pay your stars. They just need to be your stars. Can't be a guy like Landon Collins. 

Young

McLaurin

Sweat

Future QB

Gibson/Davis/St Juste

About 10% of your team, but Young is 4 years away and the QB is 5+ from getting paid. There are two to three waves. It is very doable with the cap on the climb. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

You can definitely pay your stars. They just need to be your stars. Can't be a guy like Landon Collins. 

Young

McLaurin

Sweat

Future QB

Gibson/Davis/St Juste

About 10% of your team, but Young is 4 years away and the QB is 5+ from getting paid. There are two to three waves. It is very doable with the cap on the climb. 

I agree with the above. There will be some tough decisions coming up but it does not have to be with our prime players. The biggest benefit is the one thing we are all most anxious about, QB. If they get the long term solution at QB next year that's 4 yrs without having to deal with it (Cannot let them get into the option year without resigning them or you have Kirk C all over again.)

I like the chances of keeping both Sweat and Young. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree with the above. There will be some tough decisions coming up but it does not have to be with our prime players. The biggest benefit is the one thing we are all most anxious about, QB. If they get the long term solution at QB next year that's 4 yrs without having to deal with it (Cannot let them get into the option year without resigning them or you have Kirk C all over again.)

I think it could be different. That time was a mess. 

Dak was on the tag and then signed. Not that we should be looking to the Cowboys as an example, but paying their stars may be one. 

4 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I think it could be different. That time was a mess. 

Dak was on the tag and then signed. Not that we should be looking to the Cowboys as an example, but paying their stars may be one. 

I get what you are saying but I would never take that chance. I believe the Cowboys totally ****ed that up and in the end overpaid for Dak. So yes it was a mess for them too jsut was able to at least keep their QB. But just becasue they got a deal done does not mean it was a good one. You have to sign the best players before they get into their last year if you want to remain competitive. 

But I guess we should actually find a franchise QB before worrying about their contract 😉  :cheers:

• Thumb up 1

56 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I’m thinking ahead, which is what I hope our GM is doing. It’s not realistic to just bury your head in the sand until the year before you have to make a move, nor does it help the team long-term. I’m not saying trade him next season, but I would definitely start thinking about options that would best serve the team long-term. 

I wanna win consistently before thinking about paying a bunch of guys.  Have them earn it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

A fan not thinking about trading a star player coming off his second season on a rookie deal is not burying your head in the ground. 

It's ****ing annoying. 

We resign Allen 

Fans "trade payne"

Watts gets resigned 

Fans "trade sweat"

Settle makes a play

"Trade someone on our one team strength that we're building our foundation on"

Just enjoy having a league best unit for a few years and let the GMs worry about that **** years from now.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, goskins10 said:

One thing Super Bowl contenders can offer is contending for a Super Bowl.  That matters to some guys.  Some guys are content to make millions and never even make the playoffs.  Those guys are not called winners.  I don't just want guys called winners; I want guys who want to be revered as champions.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2021 at 4:12 PM, goskins10 said:

I get what you are saying but I would never take that chance. I believe the Cowboys totally ****ed that up and in the end overpaid for Dak. So yes it was a mess for them too jsut was able to at least keep their QB. But just becasue they got a deal done does not mean it was a good one. You have to sign the best players before they get into their last year if you want to remain competitive. 

But I guess we should actually find a franchise QB before worrying about their contract 😉  :cheers:

And somehow he will still cost less than Kirk this and next season lol. 

On 9/9/2021 at 4:42 PM, Koolblue13 said:

A fan not thinking about trading a star player coming off his second season on a rookie deal is not burying your head in the ground. 

It's ****ing annoying. 

We resign Allen 

Fans "trade payne"

Watts gets resigned 

Fans "trade sweat"

Settle makes a play

"Trade someone on our one team strength that we're building our foundation on"

Just enjoy having a league best unit for a few years and let the GMs worry about that **** years from now.

I’m with you. Definitely not talk days before kickoff lol. Let’s enjoy the 5-2 front while we have it. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it might be interesting to bump this and resurrect specific discussion on Young, since these megathreads seem to suit that purpose.

I was skeptical of the pick but I also don't pretend I am an expert, I still thought getting a QB until you seem to hit is key.  Young is...disappointing this year from what I understand. Any reason to think he turns into Reggie White (or Richard Dent even) in the next year?

47 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

I thought it might be interesting to bump this and resurrect specific discussion on Young, since these megathreads seem to suit that purpose.

I was skeptical of the pick but I also don't pretend I am an expert, I still thought getting a QB until you seem to hit is key.  Young is...disappointing this year from what I understand. Any reason to think he turns into Reggie White (or Richard Dent even) in the next year?

Chase Young is more likely to turn into Clowney than he is Reggie White at this current trajectory. Reggie White dominated right away, Chase Young's domination in his rookie season was greatly exaggerated. His rookie season wasn't even close to Nick Bosa's. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Chase Young is more likely to turn into Clowney than he is Reggie White at this current trajectory. Reggie White dominated right away, Chase Young's domination in his rookie season was greatly exaggerated. His rookie season wasn't even close to Nick Bosa's. 

I think Clowney is more or less where CY is now. Still mostly just getting by on his athleticism and doesn't have much in the way of counters or much variance in his pass rushing. I think he's going to need to focus more on his technique work if he wants to make that leap from good to great or elite. He has elite talent level, but it's not being used to its full effect yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I still believe in his talent. Expecting him to be Reggie White who is the GOAT DE is a little crazy. I still think he can be Myles Garrett.

Thats what kills me about this situation because he was getting compared to Reggie left and right on here leading up to us picking him.  It was the no-brainer pick, we had to lose to Dallas to get this guy, remember?

We did it to ourselves creating a level of hype and expectations that weren't realistic instead of drafting on talent and committing to developing him for this level.  I'm not worried about Young at all, he has the right head on his shoulders to improve as a football player, its only his second year.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Thats what kills me about this situation because he was getting compared to Reggie left and right on here leading up to us picking him.  It was the no-brainer pick, we had to lose to Dallas to get this guy, remember?

We did it to ourselves creating a level of hype and expectations that weren't realistic instead of drafting on talent and committing to developing him for this level.  I'm not worried about Young at all, he has the right head on his shoulders to improve as a football player, its only his second year.

Fans get caught up on hype. I don't blame them. After losing 13 games you want something to be hopeful for and this franchise historically hasn't produced STARS. We had RG3 for a year in 2012, that's it. Besides that, who was the last STAR we had? We haven't had any in the modern era. Even a terrible franchise(recently)like the Giants have had OBJ and Barkley. The Lions sucked but had Barry Sanders and Megatron.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Fans get caught up on hype. I don't blame them. After losing 13 games you want something to be hopeful for and this franchise historically hasn't produced STARS. We had RG3 for a year in 2012, that's it. Besides that, who was the last STAR we had? We haven't had any in the modern era. Even a terrible franchise(recently)like the Giants have had OBJ and Barkley. The Lions sucked but had Barry Sanders and Megatron.

Ya, but I was suprised by the runaway train that was the "Young by any means neccesary" movement.  Thats supposed to be reserved for QBs, we should know better.  

Just now, 86 Snyder said:

Garrett is a HOF'er.  I get what you're attempting here but you're still aiming at the moon.

Is he though? He's a great player right now but I don't think he's a HOF-er if he were to retire today. His career high for sacks in a year is only 13.5 which, while a lot, doesn't scream HOF-er.

I do think he's on HOF track though.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Is he though? He's a great player right now but I don't think he's a HOF-er if he were to retire today. His career high for sacks in a year is only 13.5 which, while a lot, doesn't scream HOF-er.

I do think he's on HOF track though.

I mean yeah, assuming his career doesnt stop tomorrow.  He just needs a couple more seasons of something close to this.  Donald, Mack, Miller, Bosas, Watts...those are his people.  I had all but assumed Chase would be on that level.  Now it will surprise me.