Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's a good writeup, but it doesn't account for the fact that the '00 Ravens were facing better, faster, stronger athletes and more sophisticated schemes.  

Personally I think the 90 Eagles Buddy defense was the best I've seen, but im not going to split hairs with yall over that opinion. 

Thats not what message boards are about. 🤨:ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Chase is too much of a brute strength, sheer speed, natural bend, change-of-direction, hustle, motor and raw-instincts guys for my taste. I'd like to see more finesse moves and technique application from him. Like, say, I don't know, LAST YEAR'S DROY NICK BOSA!!!

Edited by skinbuck

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've seen a few people say that CY is going to be DROY.  

What other defensive rookies are in the running?  

Jeremy Chinn (S) is a name I see a lot, though a lot of that is through his 2 TD performance against the Vikings. I also see Patrick Queen (ILB), Julian Blackmon (S), and Antoine Winfield Jr. (CB).

I think Chase should beat out those guys, but will be interesting to say the least.

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Nah.  I mean, they're in the conversation but I think the Ravens defense set the record for lowest points per game.  Also lowest rushing yards across a season.  

Bears defense was great, #2 ain't bad.  But I think the Ravens defense that year was a notch above.

I believe it was the 1977 falcons that may have set the record for lowest points per game and in my opinion no one ever struck fear into opposing teams like the bears. But it’s football and it’s fun to discuss

43 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I believe it was the 1977 falcons that may have set the record for lowest points per game and in my opinion no one ever struck fear into opposing teams like the bears. But it’s football and it’s fun to discuss

They also played a 14-game season.  The NFL went to 16 games in '78.  You kids today have no idea how much having 6 preseason games sucked.  That was almost half the regular season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've seen a few people say that CY is going to be DROY.  

What other defensive rookies are in the running?  

I think he's a shoe-in for DROY.

The more amazing thing, which I think is a real possibility, is him having a shot at DPOY - so he's up against ALL defensive players, including veterans. Sure, he may not get it. But just the fact that he's in the conversation for that group, is outstanding.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think he's a shoe-in for DROY.

The more amazing thing, which I think is a real possibility, is him having a shot at DPOY - so he's up against ALL defensive players, including veterans. Sure, he may not get it. But just the fact that he's in the conversation for that group, is outstanding.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/30514759/should-jalen-hurts-eagles-2020-starter-travis-kelce-win-offensive-player-year-judging-week-14-nfl-overreactions

The verdict: OVERREACTION. For now. But this young man is a problem. And with all due respect to Alex Smith and his remarkable comeback, Young is the central figure in the run that has shockingly put Washington in position to win its division. (The FPI currently gives Washington a 68.6% chance.)

Sunday's was a game in which Washington did not have star rookie running back Antonio Gibson and in which Smith was just 8-for-19 for 57 yards before leaving with a leg injury. Young made sure his team won anyway. He is the heart, soul and engine of a Washington front seven that's as good as any in the league, and he's only getting better.

He's almost certain to be the Defensive Rookie of the Year at this rate, but with guys such as T.J. Watt, Aaron Donald and Xavien Howard putting up monster numbers, he's not likely to factor into the voting for Defensive Player of the Year. Not this year, at least. But soon, and possibly for years to come.

3 hours ago, skinbuck said:

Chase is too much of a brute strength, sheer speed, natural bend, change-of-direction, hustle, motor and raw-instincts guys for my taste. I'd like to see more finesse moves and technique application from him. Like, say, I don't know, LAST YEAR'S DROY NICK BOSA!!!

Exactly. That was the scouting report on him before the draft. If you hate players with brute strength, sheer speed, natural bend, change-of-direction, hustle, motor and raw-instincts then you need to stay far away from Chase Young.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, wit33 said:

Is Sweat far off from how impressive this dude is!?! Unbelievable these two dudes are playing at this level in year 1 and 2 of rookie deals. 

A truly unique window is opening for this team. 

The combination of the two of them is the #1 reason why this team can actually be a threat at some point soon for a SB.  I haven't felt like this about our roster in eons.  We have to make improvements to the offense and tinker a little with the defense but i think they can make an actual run ultimately.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/14/monday-afternoon-quarterback-revisiting-stefon-diggs-trade

Lost a little in the Chase Young breakout—and we wrote about the Washington rookie’s big afternoon in the MMQB column—is how his bookend played, again. A couple people from the Football Team pointed it out to me on Monday morning, and told me to dig up the pressure stats. So I reached out to the good people at Pro Football Focus, and they gave me a good idea of the tear that Montez Sweat is on. Since Week 11, the second-year former first-rounder has the third-highest overall grade (88.1) among edge defenders league-wide, with nine total pressures, three tackles for loss (or no gain), and eight tackles in run defense (the latter two numbers rank top 10 at his position). And remember, for as much of a cyborg as Young is, Sweat’s pretty freaky himself—he ran 4.41 at 260 pounds. Which is to say Washington’s going to be pretty scary for years to come at that position. Sweat’s 24, Young’s 21, and the two cost a combined $9 million against the team’s 2020 cap. Throw in all the other first-round defensive linemen, and there’s a nice little foundation for Ron Rivera to build on in D.C.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

GOATFerotte right now, when asked about coming back to this thread and admitting his take was one of the worst in the history of ES.

Best Im Not A Les GIFs | Gfycat

It was a terrible take, but I think the dude took the criticism personally.

There's a lot of good debate on here, a good exchange of ideas.  But it kinda gets bad here when people cling to ideas and can't admit that they're wrong about something when there's insurmountable evidence to the contrary.  Digging your heels in and refusing to admit you were wrong or being incapable of changing your mind on something ensures that you're not going to get the best out of this place.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Digging your heels in and refusing to admit you were wrong or being incapable of changing your mind on something ensures that you're not going to get the best out of this place.

Being able to laugh at yourself is vitally important!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1