Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Outer Space Thread

RemoveSnyder

12 hours ago, China said:

According to the JPL small body site the nearest point of approach for 2020 FB 2 is 0.015 AU (1 AU is the distance to the Sun) which is about five times the distance to the moon.

Not sure how that would result in an airburst.

EDIT: and the article even says that toward the end. " According to CNEOS, 2020 FB2 will intersect Earth’s orbit on March 20 at 6:24 pm EDT. During this time, the asteroid will be about 0.01489 astronomical units or roughly 1.4 million miles from Earth as it crosses its path. "

Edited by Corcaigh

• 4 weeks later...

Musk gets a lot of crap, sometimes deservedly so, but if he pulls this off he's going to be one of the folks people talk about long after he's gone

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/04/17/spacex-nasa-crewed-flight-date/

It’s been nearly 10 years since the last NASA astronauts launched from United States soil — a long, ignominious streak that’s been compounded by delays and technical challenges.

But now, finally, the space agency on Friday set the date for when it will fly its astronauts from the Florida Space Coast again: May 27.

While the date could change — in spaceflight they often do — the announcement marks a significant milestone in NASA’s winding, at times tortuous, journey to regain its human spaceflight wings since it retired the Space Shuttle in 2011.

This time, though, the launch will be markedly different than any other in the history of the space agency. Unlike Mercury, Gemini, Apollo or the Space Shuttle era, the rocket will be owned and operated not by NASA, but by a private company — SpaceX, the hard charging commercial space company founded by Elon Musk.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/04/30/jeff-bezos-elon-musk-win-contracts-spacecraft-land-nasa-astronauts-moon/

NASA on Thursday awarded three companies contracts to build spacecraft capable of landing humans on the moon, sparking a new space race that NASA hopes will propel the United States back to the lunar surface for the first time since 1972.

Blue Origin, the space outfit owned by Jeff Bezos; Dynetics, a subsidiary of Leidos, a Reston, Va.-based information technology firm; and Elon Musk’s SpaceX won contracts, giving NASA three options that would compete against each other as NASA scrambles to meet an ambitious White House mandate to put humans on the moon by 2024. (Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

Boeing, typically among NASA’s key contractors but whose space program has experienced multiple setbacks and delays, also submitted a bid but was not selected.

No, Boeing, your broke ass isn't allowed to take us to the moon, womp womp.

Edited by Renegade7

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

No, Boeing, your broke ass isn't allowed to take us to the moon, womp womp.

OTOH, 

1)  It might be the only way to hang on to a segment of US tech that has helped keep us at least somewhat ahead.  

2)  And unlike the three companies awarded, Boeing has actually built space hardware for actual missions.  Yes, it's ancient history.  But the others have none.  (Or in the case of SpaceX, nearly none.)  

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread for today's Space X launch.  

https://www.space.com/how-to-watch-spacex-nasa-demo-2-astronaut-launch-webcasts.html

SpaceX is set to make history today. 

Elon Musk's company is scheduled to launch its first crewed mission, a test flight called Demo-2 that will send NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley to the International Space Station aboard a Crew Dragon capsule. Liftoff is set for 4:33 p.m. EDT (2033 GMT) from Pad 39A of NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Elon Musk likely stores his own urine, but I'm pretty excited for this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I didn't want to say it out loud, by certainly I've been thinking, welp, it's 2020, time for some Challenger ****.  

If it happens, I'll give you a virtual dap for your soothsaying skills

Edited by Mr. Sinister

26 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I didn't want to say it out loud, by certainly I've been thinking, welp, it's 2020, time for some Challenger ****.  

I'm a little freaked out. My dad worked on the writing of the plans for 39A and 39B...I may go into full blown panic mode because I was thinking the same thing you posted. 

To get this right, (right now) would do a lot to lift my spirits. 

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Delayed until the weekend due to weather.  

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Good. There was an eerie feeling in the air today

**** was about to struck by lightning and y'all saved them.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 12:17 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

The shuttle was a pretty flawed .  Firstly, the rockets used were particular to the shuttle project - they weren't used anywhere else.  With limited launches, they really didn't have a good idea of a launch success rate.  And in general, since the shuttle was so much heavier the safety margins were much tighter. 

With this launch, it is using the Falcon 9, which is used for many other launches.  Therefore we have a good idea how we can expect the launch to succeed.  Googling says 97.1% (85 out of 87 launches).  However, only one of those launches was a catastrophic failure - the other delivered its main payload but the secondary payload did not reach orbit.   I'd imagine thats a situation they coudl recover safely from, so chance of a catastrophic non-recoverable failure is more like 1/87 roughly 1%. 

On top of that, the Falcon has launch abort modes which Challenger lacked.  https://www.popsci.com/story/space/spacex-successful-abort-test-launch/  Earlier versions of the Space Shuttle that had a crew of only two, had ejection seats, but they were removed in later versions with the crew size was increased to seven, and NASA deemed it unfeasible.

Then the issue with the heat shielding which caused Columbia to fail.  That was the result of exposing the belly of the shuttle during launch.  Not possible here because its a capsule and its heat shielding isn't exposed until it actually reaches space.

This design is capsule, much like the Soyuz which hasn't had an loss of crew accident since 1971. 

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The shuttle was a pretty flawed .  Firstly, the rockets used were particular to the shuttle project - they weren't used anywhere else.  With limited launches, they really didn't have a good of a launch success rate.  And in general, since the shuttle was so much heavier the safety margins were much tighter. 

With this launch, it is using the Falcon 9, which is used for many other launches.  Therefore we have a good idea how we can expect the launch to succeed.  Googling says 97.1% (85 out of 87 launches).  However, only one of those launches was a catastrophic failure - the other delivered its main payload but the secondary payload did not reach orbit.   I'd imagine thats a situation they coudl recover safely from, so chance of a catastrophic non-recoverable failure is more like 1/87 roughly 1%. 

On top of that, the Falcon has launch abort modes which Challenger lacked.  https://www.popsci.com/story/space/spacex-successful-abort-test-launch/  Earlier versions of the Space Shuttle that had a crew of only two, had ejection seats, but they were removed in later versions with the crew size was increased to seven, and NASA deemed it unfeasible.

Then the issue with the heat shielding which caused Columbia to fail.  That was the result of exposing the belly of the shuttle during launch.  Not possible here because its a capsule and its heat shielding isn't exposed until it actually reaches space.

This design is capsule, much like the Soyuz which hasn't had an loss of crew accident since 1971. 

raw

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That's really cool. They should plug the top of that "Weird Hole", fill it with breathable air, and look for the leaks.  Probably easiest and safest way to make a colony on Mars.

OT, heard the SpaceX launch today is 50-50, streams already posted here aren't showing the retry today yet, may need new ones if they actually do it. Sorry for double posting the other day, this looks like Official NASA Stream, so if they cancel again it might pop back up here anyway when they do try again:

So far, retry time for Today is below:

Scheduled launch time: New York: 3:22PM / San Francisco: 12:22PM / London: 8:22PM / Berlin: 9:22PM / Moscow: 10:22PM / New Delhi: 12:52AM (May 31st) / Beijing: 3:22AM (May 31st) / Tokyo: 4:22AM (May 31st) / Melbourne: 5:22AM (May 31st)

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1