Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Why not us?" thread. Ravens/Skins similarities

petey hodge

OK, we do not have the KC Chiefs flashy offense... We are what we are.  But if you look at our strengths:  Good D, Good RBs, Don't F-it-up QB. 

Are we really any different than the Ravens when they had Dilfer and Flacco?

Could we control teams with our Defense and do the minimal amount on offense to win more games than people expect?

Is this team different than the Ravens team with their defense and Dilfer when they won?

Id say YES.  I like our defense as much as the next guy but its way to early to compare this Skins Defense to one of the best defenses ever.  That defense scored.  That defense dominated teams.  The skins defense just looks ok at this point.  There is a long way to go before the two can be compared in my opinion.  

14 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

The skins defense just looks ok at this point. 

Yea, it's basically how they look on paper, and potential, with players getting healthy and adding new talent.

So there is at least reason for excitement.

I will say this though ; Ray Horton is supposed to be legit. And if he can take our secondary, which has been the defensive weak spot until now, and also take the young talent and infuse them in a productive way, our secondary can definitely be around the same level as our Front 7.

So I'm not ready to proclaim anything. But there is plenty of reason for optimism.

And it may not be as good as the historic Ravens, but it doesn't need to be. It just needs to compensate, and actually over-compensate a little, for the weakness on offense.

36 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think a good comparison would also be the Chicago Bears (this year's).

Weak offense, strong defense.

We're far from being the only one-sided team in the league.

Our defense may not be as good as Chicago's, but I bet our offense will be better than theirs, despite all the doubts about our receivers and OL

We'll never be close to them in terms of defense so long as we don't have a Khalil Mack. 

1 hour ago, petey hodge said:

OK, we do not have the KC Chiefs flashy offense... We are what we are.  But if you look at our strengths:  Good D, Good RBs, Don't F-it-up QB. 

Could we control teams with our Defense and do the minimal amount on offense to win more games than people expect?

Yes we are, because we dont yet have a good D.  The whole good D thing is a myth, because we have the potential to have a great defense.  But that defense has yet to actually show up for a whole season on the field, and finish top 10.  The Ravens won with Flacco not because they had a good defense, but because they had a top 3 NFL defense, which we arent close to yet.  We also dont have good RBs, we have AP and some unknowns.  We also dont know what we have out of our new QB, and last season we were 1-6 with a QB not named Alex Smith starting.

We could control teams with our defense, and win with a poor offense, but in order for that to happen our D has to step up to a level it never has before, and our offense has to be better than it was last season.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Yes we are, because we dont yet have a good D.  The whole good D thing is a myth, because we have the potential to have a great defense.  But that defense has yet to actually show up for a whole season on the field, and finish top 10.  The Ravens won with Flacco not because they had a good defense, but because they had a top 3 NFL defense, which we arent close to yet.  

I disagree. The Ravens won the superbowl because flacco had a crazy run in the playoffs, their defense was good but overrated. 

The earlier ravens' teams won because of their defense though, those defenses were some of the best ever. 

I would agree with you on your take of our defense. 

As to the OP. Sure things can work out for us, but our defense needs to turn potential into elite performance and we need to be able to control the clock, run the ball, and not **** up too much passing the ball. We're poised to do that eventually, but there are a lot of "ifs".

The Gruden-era Redskins have been far too error- and penalty-prone to be able to succeed with ground-and-pound football, the way the Ravens did a couple times. 

I predict they'll be more like the Jaguars during the Bortles era--strong defense that can't overcome historically inept offense.

Did you just ask what the difference is between a defense coming off a 20th ranked DVOA year (created by Bruce goddamn Allen no less) and one that is regarded as one of the greatest units of all time with multiple HOFers ???

seriously?? For real??? 

I get it. We’re frustrated that no one takes us seriously. But goodness, I’m seeing way too much nonsense from Skins fans the last few days. 

13 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Can you have good running backs without a good o-line though? Really concerned about the left side.

Archived