Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Economy Thread - “Falling inflation, rising growth give U.S. the world’s best recovery”

PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Now, explain why tipped workers are making less. 

I'd love to hear that one. 

I’m only guessing, but one factor could be the tipping fatigue and a backlash against tipping prompts being ubiquitous even on self service such as buying a bar of chocolate at a gas station. Usually you have to press three or more buttons, where a single button ‘Are you ****ing kidding me” would be more appropriate.

1 minute ago, Corcaigh said:

I’m only guessing, but one factor could be the tipping fatigue and a backlash against tipping prompts being ubiquitous even on self service such as buying a bar of chocolate at a gas station. Usually you have to press three or more buttons, where a single button ‘Are you ****ing kidding me” would be more appropriate.

Not only that. Every ****kng business is running some type of donate to charity round up your total scam now at checkout...

• Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Not only that. Every ****kng business is running some type of donate to charity round up your total scam now at checkout...

Yeah … let’s stop the checkout lines as old folks have to fish out their reading glasses to see what’s being presented to them on these ****ty scratched up LCD screens 🤣

• Haha 1

Oh … and went out to lunch yesterday with some former coworkers. Because there were six of us I guess that they added an automatic 20% tip, and because it was charged automatically the gratuity has sales tax applied on top as it is considered a service.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Because non cash tips are being redirected by business owners?

That'd be my guess.

Personally. I think all positions should pay out at least at min wage. The idea of paying someone 1/3 of min wage and thinking tips will cover the rest is unsettling to me. 

I think "eliminate the below minimum wage" scam. Make businesses pay manimun wage, and charge accordingly. 

Get rid of the whole "Well, this item costs X$.  But you're an asshole if you don't choose to pay X+20% (which may or may not go to the employee)" scam. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was using rough numbers but I was going off this.

Screenshot_20240328_094133_Chrome.jpg

You can find estimates all over the place.

https://www.lendingtree.com/debt-consolidation/raising-a-child-study/

Heaven forbid the child has any ongoing medical needs. Between premiums and out of pocket expenses, we easily spend $10-$12k a year on healthcare alone. 

The link I have says $3200 for food, that sounds reasonable, but on the low side. 

And that’s for parents who are fortunate to live in an area where the schools are passable and don’t have to use private schools.

I agree with your main overall points in that thread, but wanted to point out that you were really underestimating child care costs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Heaven forbid the child has any ongoing medical needs. Between premiums and out of pocket expenses, we easily spend $10-$12k a year on healthcare alone. 

The link I have says $3200 for food, that sounds reasonable, but on the low side. 

And that’s for parents who are fortunate to live in an area where the schools are passable and don’t have to use private schools.

I agree with your main overall points in that thread, but wanted to point out that you were really underestimating child care costs. 

Okay. Include my DoorDash budget too then to even it out.

Remember we smoke alotta weed.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4sqgdwOE06/?igsh=ZDN1b2wwMjU4NG5u

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

That $15K that @TheGreatBuzz quoted might cover daycare expenses.

I thought it was expensive when we were raising our boys, but it's gotten insanely expensive.

I don't see how young parents afford can afford it.  That said...if you waited until you could afford kids, you'd never have them!

Thank God we're empty-nesters now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

We were jealous of the people who had grandma and grandpa daycare to help out.  And its been awhile. 

My wife worked part-time when we had Kindergarten and 3rd grade ages.  It annoyed me since her income went to day care and it only lasted a month.  It wasn't even daycare,  just an afterschool program. She worked for 6 weeks and it wasn't worth her to keep working.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

We were jealous of the people who had grandma and grandpa daycare to help out.  And its been awhile. 

My wife worked part-time when we had Kindergarten and 3rd grade ages.  It annoyed me since her income went to day care and it only lasted a month.  It wasn't even daycare,  just an afterschool program. She worked for 6 weeks and it wasn't worth her to keep working.

AMEN!

My parents lived out of state, so that was never an option.

I've never gotten the whole grandpa/grandma daycare thing.  It's one thig to help out on occasion but to do something like that all the time??   Nope! 

We had 'em young, raised 'em right and sacrificed enough raising our own kids.  I'll be damned if I'm going to raise grandkids! 😁

3 generation households have been the norm for more of human history than not.

With America and the "go west young man" culture, we have praised the ability to move out, go it alone and make a name for oneself. That 2 generation household took away one source of childcare.  Women entering and needing to enter into the regular workforce took away the other source of childcare.  Now we outsource our childcare, whether to schools or daycare.  The cost of these was always going to be big.  It's just the cost was ignored when it was being paid by grandparents and moms.

Edited by gbear
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

3 gen households also started disappearing because grandparents are still expectd to be working 40 hr weeks in this new era.

Most cant retire anymore at 55 or 60 with a pension.  

Retirement for most people is really mostly a post-WWII thing.  Pre-WWII there were a lot of 3 generation house holds where there were multiple generations living if not in the same house then the same property.

There are a couple of issues.  We have issues with income/wealth inequality.

But we also have issues with people thinking the post-WWII world/economy should be the norm.  And I'm not sure that's the case.  You can't ignore that much of the develop world was a destroyed and a generation+ of young workers were decimated in WWI and then again in WWII.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

You can't ignore that much of the develop world was a destroyed and a generation+ of young workers were decimated in WWI and then again in WWII.

You can if you are a Boomer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1