Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

28 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Let him feel a hit again before it matters.

Kiko Alonso & Malik Jefferson. We won’t be able to cover anyone, but at least we’ll be fast. 

It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Kiko end up in DC, I believe they’ve tried to send us a pick, Kiko, & Stills in a Williams deal. 

Can you expand on this if you don’t mind? Understand the Kiko part although first I’ve heard, but where does Malik Jefferson come into play?  

20 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Can you expand on this if you don’t mind? Understand the Kiko part although first I’ve heard, but where does Malik Jefferson come into play?  

There is speculation that each will fail to make the 53. I imagine Malik will make the roster in Cinci, but Kiko is being shopped & there are no takers yet... his struggles in coverage are infuriating the new regime in Miami. The talent will keep him in the league — & we are in need of athleticism all over the defense. He likely wouldn’t be a popular pick up, but I’d be pleased for the brief bit of time I could delude myself into thinking our coaches could make all that talent translate.

I can't believe it is still up for discussion about some of the 1's starting tonight like Jordan Reed and Darius Guice.  I cannot for the life of me understand why they bubble wrap people on this team after seeing how it has not worked the whole time Gruden has been here.  I am fully of the mindset that these guys who get injured in the real season is partially due to not being in "football shape" because they didn't put enough time.  And I also am fully of the mindset that if these guys get injured in the preseason, they were most likely going to get injured in the regular season anyways.  Other than the Alex Smith broken leg, none of the team injuries were really anything out of the ordinary as far as how they happened.  They were just routine plays where injury prone people gonna injure.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:44 PM, SamoaSkinz said:

Related to our running game, was watching the 9ers yesterday and remembering how our running was effective under Shanny. Our running game has been near putrid under Gruden system really. We used to insert 3rd string guys and would run rampant in the zone blocking, now its like 2yds, 2yds, -3yds and punt. AP certainly gave our running some life last year but other than that...

I mean when my friends and I are watching the game at home and WE know that the Redskins are going to run it on every first down, I'm confident that the teams they are playing also know this.  It's pretty easy to defend the run when you know exactly when and where it's coming.

Insert annual rant....

I wish that Jay would use preseason to show all the crazy stuff he never does in the regular season. Maybe I am way off here, but if Jay ran a fake punt, a fake FG, tried an onsides to open the game, I have long felt early in the season it would buy our special teams some room.  Teams wouldn't try as hard to block kicks. Stay for an extra moment on the kickoff expecting a fake that of course will never come the entire year. You know the Danny Smiths out there would be telling his team "we run lots of fakes".  Of course we largely don't and won't. Few teams do and I guess they don't want to show their play they have at the ready just to entertain the fans in a dud game.

A play that Jay may use 2 months from now, sure he wants that kept secret -  but I kinda call bunk on that. Running fakes mid season is about seeing a weakness in an oppositions coverage in previous weeks, and exploiting it. Also, by making a team defend for something you will never do, when teams back off, then you can run it. Sure that may be over thinking it some, but then hiding that we are going to run up the gut on 30% of our plays this year, seems foolish to hide in preseason as well.

We have heard everything is vanilla in preseason. I prefer the swirl.  Go a little crazy, and lie.  Run a flea flicker and buy our backs a pause from the LB in the first game or 2.

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

I can't believe it is still up for discussion about some of the 1's starting tonight like Jordan Reed and Darius Guice.  I cannot for the life of me understand why they bubble wrap people on this team after seeing how it has not worked the whole time Gruden has been here.  I am fully of the mindset that these guys who get injured in the real season is partially due to not being in "football shape" because they didn't put enough time.  And I also am fully of the mindset that if these guys get injured in the preseason, they were most likely going to get injured in the regular season anyways.  Other than the Alex Smith broken leg, none of the team injuries were really anything out of the ordinary as far as how they happened.  They were just routine plays where injury prone people gonna injure.

because of the number of injuries.  They may not be worse but there are more of them

3 minutes ago, carex said:

because of the number of injuries.  They may not be worse but there are more of them

By all accounts, Reed is 100% healthy and "better than he has ever looked" yet he still may not get a rep.  

I won't be surprised at all if he gets injured (as usual) during the regular season and misses a bunch of games.

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

It’s Gameday, Let’s Get it Boys! 

Hope to see Case shine tonight, if that’s the way we are gonna go early in the season.

want to see Simba keep progressing..

It’s Christmas morning once again

5B716FF3-6D6D-46D2-B6A9-469C15CDB1FF.gif

0AFD2CA7-EB84-4424-A425-08FA1C93467B.gif

Dear baby jesus, please let us not get trainwrecked tonight. 

I couldn't be happier that our dress rehearsal is against a real squad. If I'm looking at it glass-half-full, which I can because it's still the offseason and my hopes haven't been dashed yet, this is a win win. Either we look good or we get beat up and it's a big wake-up call for all. (I'm going to pretend that option 3 doesn't exist  where we get beat up but keep chugging along our merry way).

Our offense is a complete wild card as the range of outcomes that I see are above average to really bad. The defense is what we will need to come up big for us this season as the range of outcomes for that unit is above average to excellent, so I'm really hoping they show well tonight.

And, teenage jesus, please no catastrophic injuries. 

5 hours ago, purbeast said:

I mean when my friends and I are watching the game at home and WE know that the Redskins are going to run it on every first down, I'm confident that the teams they are playing also know this.  It's pretty easy to defend the run when you know exactly when and where it's coming.

Didn't AP run for 1000 yards last year? And that was with defenses knowing we couldn't pass the ball. Putrid might be a little harsh?

52 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Didn't AP run for 1000 yards last year? And that was with defenses knowing we couldn't pass the ball. Putrid might be a little harsh?

You're talking about a HOF running back though and that was one season with Gruden though.  It's not the norm it was an anomaly.

I would be curious to see the number of runs he had that were like less than 3 yards, then between 4 and 7 yards, and then 8+.  My memory may serve me wrong but I'd be willing to bet that MOST of his runs would fall in the first category, and that he had an above average of total carries being 8+ in the NFL.

EDIT:

Here is an example of what feels like it was typical for a good day of AP running.  This is from the game he ran for the 90yd TD:

98 10.9 90T

He had 9 attempts, ran for a total of 98 yards, and had a long of 90 yards.  So his other 8 rushes produced a total of 8 yards.  Sure his average is 10.9, but the median would be like 1 yd or so.

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

By all accounts, Reed is 100% healthy and "better than he has ever looked" yet he still may not get a rep.  

I won't be surprised at all if he gets injured (as usual) during the regular season and misses a bunch of games.

At least that second part you could have just said under your breath LOL

2 minutes ago, carex said:

okay, I know that someone put on IR right now is done for the year.  Does that extend to final cut down day or is final cuts like regular season and you can bring the person back?

After cuts you go and pick out the finest meats and cheeses left in the isles.

I wasn't sure where to drop this, so I'm putting it here - it didn't warrant a new thread for sure. 

The more I've been thinking about this team, the more I think that our best path to success is if we are following the mid-1990s TB Bucs blue print. We are putting together a scrappy and aggressive young front-7. We don't quite have the horses yet in the secondary, but it's improving. We might have a pretty effective running game with AP, Guice, and Thompson. Our passing game will be limited but we might be able to win some ugly games, beat the snot out of most of our opponents, and at least be a team that is uncomfortable to play against. 

With some additions over the next couple years (and some progression by Haskins, etc.) this could turn into a team capable of winning 10ish games and being a tough out in the playoffs. That is probably a year or two away, but maybe 2019 is TB's 1995 or 1996? 

It’s on. The Virginia native & former Vol will make Dwayne’s dreams come true. 

NFL%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
JUSTIN HUNTERWR, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
8415.jpg

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent WR Justin Hunter has workouts scheduled with the Jets, Patriots, Ravens, Redskins and Texans.

Finally healed from a torn labrum, Hunter is ready to get back to work. A big body (6'4"/203) with 4.44 wheels, Hunter profiles as a downfield threat, though he's never lived up to his second-round billing (85-1,349-13 career receiving line on 187 targets).

Aug 23, 2019, 3:39 PM ET
  •  

Archived